Can't hit with hybrids

Golf Chick

Golf Fashionista
Reaction score
Handicap
Decreasing
I have a 4h and a 5h and do not like them at all. I can't hit with them and people say they're easier to hit, not with me!! I go through periods where I can hit them (when I hit with them, its still not great), other times, its just awful and I end up topping the ball. How can I get more solid contact with my hybrids? Right now, I dont' even have them in my bag, its that bad!! They came with my set, so I do have a 5i, a 3w, but no other substitute club for the 4h.

What worked for me (I kept trying to hit them like a 5w) was to choke down on the 4h an inch or so, put the ball exactly where I would with a 5 or 6 iron, and take a normal 3/4 swing until I got used to making contact like I would with an iron. It's the same exercise that I use when I'm mis-hitting irons as well.

If you can fairly reliably hit a 7/8 iron, then this should work. Note: don't get too aggressive and swing from the heels when doing this. The hybrid does most of the work.

Re: Can't hit with hybrids

Golf Chick said:
I have a 4h and a 5h and do not like them at all. I can't hit with them and people say they're easier to hit, not with me!! I go through periods where I can hit them (when I hit with them, its still not great), other times, its just awful and I end up topping the ball. How can I get more solid contact with my hybrids? Right now, I dont' even have them in my bag, its that bad!! They came with my set, so I do have a 5i, a 3w, but no other substitute club for the 4h.
I was having the same problem as you with my 3h. When I first bought the club it was my go to club and could always count on it. Then a month or two passed and my swing started to improve with all of my other clubs but my hybrid just sucked. Always topping the ball or sending a worm burner 75yds down the fairway.

I found that I had started moving the ball more forward in my stance when playing this club. Someone gave me some advice to move the ball back to center in my stance and now the hybrid is back in play. Not really sure if this is the same problem your having but thought it may be worth a try.

For a lot of people it can be a length of club issue. You are hitting a lot of topped shots. Lets start with the basics. I want the ball position to match the 5/6 iron in you bag. We want to hit the hybrids like we do are irons. Majority of the people that I work with try to sweep the ball off of the ground like a wood, but I want you to hit down into the ball more like an iron swing. Let me know if that helps or if there is more that I can do to help.

For a lot of people it can be a length of club issue. You are hitting a lot of topped shots. Lets start with the basics. I want the ball position to match the 5/6 iron in you bag. We want to hit the hybrids like we do are irons. Majority of the people that I work with try to sweep the ball off of the ground like a wood, but I want you to hit down into the ball more like an iron swing. Let me know if that helps or if there is more that I can do to help.
I think that's what I'm doing, sweeping the ball like I do my woods! I'll give this a try, thanks :)

Re: Can't hit with hybrids

I've been told to hit it like a wedge, give it a shot, worked for me.

I feel your pain GC! I cant hit hybrids or woods! I dont carry either anymore. I bought a 2 iron and a 3 iorn and do so much better with them. alot of people said I was crazy and could never hit a 2 iron but after about a month it turned into one of my better clubs that I can hit with confidence... most of the time :D

Went to the range on Saturday, tried hitting with my hyrbrids, couldn't do it. Set it up exactly like how i do with my 5 and 6 iron, didn't work :( I kept topping the ball :angry:

However, played yesterday and I thought to myself, why not try my 4h on this approach shot since I still have ways to go to get to the green, WOW, I just addressed the ball and it flew far, WOWSERS!! I have no idea what I did, I don't remember anyways...and it went straight and then it hooked :( and it landed under the bench of the next tee haa haa haa

One of these days I'll actually like hitting with my hybrids, but until then...they're in my bag with pretty headcovers on them, but I hardly use them.

I hit it like an iron. I used to take a low back swing and have the ball really forward like with my 3W. Now that i figured this out I love my hybrids.

When I'm not hitting my hybrids right, most times I just need to keep my arm's a bit tighter to my body? Helps me keep my back swing aligned I think.

Why don't you go back to the range and play around with ball position? Sometimes just moving the ball back in your stance a little and taking less of a swing will help. I used to struggle with my hybrids too but doing these two things has really made a difference. Oh yea...I was closing my clubface and delofting the club too. Now I just lay my club on the ground before I grip and do not close the club face and that has helped me get it up in the air a lot better.

Hit 5 balls with your 7 iron. Hit them smooth and accurately. The 7 iron is an easy iron for almost every golfer. Now, hit your hybrid just as if it were your 7 iron.
It works every time but you have to trust it to do it's job and it assumes you will do yours. These hybrid clubs rocket the ball off the face and get launched really fast into the air. The club performs all by it's self if you simply give it a swing like your seven iron. Hit down and through the ball and follow through properly just as if it were your 7 iron.
Doc

He is correct. Club lengths have really gotten over done. All of my woods/hybrids/irons (until I get to my 9 iron and higher lofts) are 39.5 inches. I'm shorter than the average bear, 5 foot 8 inches. This one thing improved my swing, contact, shot, accuracy 100%. Hit your hybrids like your 7 iron, down and through the ball. Have the ball in the exact same location as your 7 iron, this assumes you can hit your 7 iron well since it's the one club in everyone's bag that is generally hit well by pros/hackers/weekenders.
Doc

Do you know how old this thread is?

Couple of people have already suggested it, but I tend to grip about halfway down the club and set the ball forward in my stance to ensure I get through it. Then it's all about a steady swing, and ensuring you get good contact with the ball.

Bear with it and work on it at the range - the hybrid is a very useful tool to have in your bag!

Back