Cant play well on the back 9 for whatever reason.

ohio_striker

striped it
Reaction score
Handicap
i have been noticing a trend when playing 18 hole rounds this summer in my scoring.

last 4 rounds Front 37,37,40,38 Back 42,42,39,45

for what ever reason it seems like my full swing leaves me driver and irons on the back. i tend to take more penalty's on the back. my short game stays consistent.

does anyone else experience this? how did you or can you get over it?

i have been noticing a trend when playing 18 hole rounds this summer in my scoring.

last 4 rounds Front 37,37,40,38 Back 42,42,39,45

for what ever reason it seems like my full swing leaves me driver and irons on the back. i tend to take more penalty's on the back. my short game stays consistent.

does anyone else experience this? how did you or can you get over it?

Are you playing the same courses or different ones? What a mind trip.

Are you playing the same courses or different ones? What a mind trip.

All 4 different courses. i wont say its fatigue as i am in pretty good shape.

I'm leaning on fatigue, could be that in combination with nutrition. I say that because I feel I'm in good shape (for my age anyway) and my game seems to drop off late in the rounds too. I've focused on nutrition along with quality hydration, it's helped.

Is it just a case where the back 9's are considerably harder? You mentioned more penalty's on the back, is there more trouble on the back 9 of these courses?

I also wouldn't completely rule out fatigue as a possibility. It doesn't take much to get a golf swing out of whack, and even if you feel great physically, you might not even notice you change your swing a little bit due to being a little tired.

Cant play well on the back 9 for whatever reason.

Is it just a case where the back 9's are considerably harder? You mentioned more penalty's on the back, is there more trouble on the back 9 of these courses?

I also wouldn't completely rule out fatigue as a possibility. It doesn't take much to get a golf swing out of whack, and even if you feel great physically, you might not even notice you change your swing a little bit due to being a little tired.

This is the combo that gets me on my home course often. The back 9 is very hilly, very tight, and mentally draining. Then throw in not eating at the turn and its a recipe for mid 40's. Could be a similar issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Little different reason here but whenever I have high expectation after the good front nine, I mess up the back 9.

i eat and drink throughout the round so im not sure that could be the problem. getting a little tired could throw off my swing more. maybe i should look at swinging more smooth/ less energy that way it is more repeatable once fatigue sets in.

Focus fatigue is my guess. I know for me, without 10,000 hours for a grooved swing (ref. tadashi), my play depends on my ability to intensively focus. That is very difficult to sustain for 4 hours.

When are the mistakes happening? Teebox? approach? pitches? chipping? putting? Are approach shots ending up short or left/right?

When are the mistakes happening? Teebox? approach? pitches? chipping? putting? Are approach shots ending up short or left/right?

a lot of different things. my driver seems to get wild causing missed greens and not being able to get up and down.

a lot of different things. my driver seems to get wild causing missed greens and not being able to get up and down.

Maybe it's just mental. It does sound like you may be making the walk from 9 green to 10 tee thinking that bad things are going to start happening.

Are you using driver on every par 4/5. Depending on layout, try teeing off with club that gets you to fattest part of fairway.

Maybe it's just mental. It does sound like you may be making the walk from 9 green to 10 tee thinking that bad things are going to start happening.

Are you using driver on every par 4/5. Depending on layout, try teeing off with club that gets you to fattest part of fairway.

i feel like i play the same way on both sides...i just get more wild in general.

Focus fatigue is my guess. I know for me, without 10,000 hours for a grooved swing (ref. tadashi), my play depends on my ability to intensively focus. That is very difficult to sustain for 4 hours.

Only thing that makes any sense to me!!!

4 rounds isn't e large enough sample size to determine anything. It could be physical or mental fatigue or,it could be the back 9s are harder on these courses. Have u looked at slope for the courses & broken it down? I wouldn't worry about it too much unless it keeps going. Fwiw, I always play worse on the back 9.

I've always been plagued by this. I play within myself as the round begins. As it progresses, I unknowingly start over-swinging, throwing my sequencing out of order.

Even when I try to tell myself not to do it, it often still happens.

Physical and mental fatigue.

Been there myself. Just gotta keep swinging. I find booze to be mildly helpful as well

I'd have to go with mental/physical fatigue. Eating at the turn and snacking during the round? Staying hydrated? Not putting pressure on yourself and forcing to score?

I'm the exact opposite - I'm consistently better on the back 9. Sometimes by double figure strokes. It's maddening. My last round was 57/41.

Mental lapse is prob an issue. Change your mental approach on the back - play three 3 hole matches, keep your target 13 (or 12, or 14, whatever you choose) strokes per stretch.
Good luck!!

I'm familiar with this problem and I've had it after just a few hole(play well for first 3, blow up for3-4, play well).

My problem was two fold- physical I'd be tight to start regardless of warm up so I'd swing within myself then I'd feel loose and the swing would get long and I'd reel it back in- second is mental I'd loose focus and start swinging away and not thinking through the hole of how to put the best score on the card possible.

i am going to play 18 on Sunday also walking 9 tonight. i am going to work on focusing on fundamentals on the back posture and tempo mostly and swinging within myself.

Im in the inverse of this, usually claim I need a few holes to "warm up"

I usually play better coming in as well...
Weird that you play better starting a round.

I'm with some of the guys here that it's more of either physical or mental fatigue.

In my rounds, even when I feel full, I look for some source of immediate energy, like a soda, just to keep the energy level high.

Four hours is an awfully long time to maintain mental focus. Personally I'm not capable of that, and I need to will myself to stay focused. Perhaps breaking focus while you're away from the ball might help.

Back