Captaining Strategies, Do's & Don'ts

obedt

Reaction score
Handicap
Creciendo
Seeing as we have 1st time captains (or Co-Captains) at the Kickoff event sponsored by Snell, I thought it might be useful to have a healthy discussion about the responsibilities that go along with the role. Maybe it would be good to get into strategies as well.

Is it always smart to pair a high & low capper? How much should it matter whether the paired golfers know each other?

What is the best way to make sure participants are active in the forums and on the event thread?

Any other items they should be on the lookout for?

Definitely not always pair the high and low in my opinion.

Im a big believer in discussing engagement and sharing the experience more than win at all costs.
I believe captains should set by example and that means the product/sponsor, the engagement and the golf.

Sorry cant share my secrets ;).
I will say handicaps are only one variable there are alot of other aspects to look at too

Definitely not always pair the high and low in my opinion.

Im a big believer in discussing engagement and sharing the experience more than win at all costs.
I believe captains should set by example and that means the product/sponsor, the engagement and the golf.
Agreed on all accounts.

Most important thing for a leader in anything not just golf imo is to lead by example. Never ask your team to do something you yourself will not do or follow through on.

Also know your team we all have strengths and weaknesses but a truly great captain will combine the individuals on the team and form one unit.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

And as far as engagement i try to lay the foundation early and hold guys accountable knowing that sometimes real life may get in the way for a bit

I suggest trying to put personalities together. If your guys really get along with one another than they will enjoy the round better and play better together.

I don't know about always pairing a high and low. I think it depends a bit on what type of games people have. You want people to compliment each other's games.

I'm guessing the first pairings are the hardest since you are going by numbers only. After that 1st round and spending the previous night and all of the next day with the guys you can get a grasp of personalities that will pair together as well. Main point that I will make to my team (and members of the other team as well) is that the #1 thing to do when we are competing is to have fun. I will also stress the importance of live updates during our weekend for everyone reading at home. I loved reading all the coverage of the Grandaddy! Take advantage of the amazing opportunity to talk with Dean and Jason about their current balls, the technology involved, what may be in store for the future and once again to let others know via the forum and social media.

I suggest trying to put personalities together. If your guys really get along with one another than they will enjoy the round better and play better together.
That is about what I was going to say. Think of the Phil and Tiger pairing in the 04 Ryder Cup and how well that went (0-2).

I'm fully confident golfinnut and you will do fine. Just wanted to see if there were any additional pointers. Thanks for the responses so far.

I liked JB's take about making sure the engagement was there rather than winning at all costs. Most of us are competitive to a fault. Sometimes that additional perspective is necessary.

Come on THPers, just a few more posts for this one to make it!

I am probly the wrong guy to ask. I think we both kind of say in amazement listening to 441 talk strategy at the first ambition dinner. Haha
Engagement was a big deal for all of us at the event and I remember hearing it multiple times. It just has to be an emphasis for participants. The thread was always active leading up to the event and then in the actual live thread as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ask for advise from your senior peers that may had Captain roles from previous events for best practices. Engage with your team and get to know them with the little time you may have with each member. Make it fun and relaxed, it is just a game at the end of the day, BUT who doesn't want that belt or trophy

THP Represent!

I am probly the wrong guy to ask. I think we both kind of say in amazement listening to 441 talk strategy at the first ambition dinner. Haha
Engagement was a big deal for all of us at the event and I remember hearing it multiple times. It just has to be an emphasis for participants. The thread was always active leading up to the event and then in the actual live thread as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's like putting a puzzle together....just gotta line up the pieces

It's like putting a puzzle together....just gotta line up the pieces

And sometimes you make the hard decisions that may not be the best received initially, but when you get that tag, it's all understood.

I think a lot depends on format and personality.

I've won more matches with people that I mesh with than guys that are much better players, we just didn't get along.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pairing players that can feed off each other. Partners who have games that compliment each other can go along way.

One thing to remember when thinking about numbers - there are plenty of ways to get to a given handicap. Some guys are better match play players than stroke play if they're prone to blow up holes. Others can have weaknesses that are masked by a given format.

Don't be afraid to ask people more familiar with your teammates for insight into their games.

Most importantly - embrace everything the eve,not has to offer. JB put this well - "win at all costs" isn't the way to go.

Ignore everyone before the event.
Really limit your activity and practice.
Sandbag horribly.
Give yourself the best matches.
Put everyone else in the hat on strips of paper since you know nothing about them.
Ignore complaints/conversations.
Leave immediately following event.

Success, yo.

Ignore everyone before the event.
Really limit your activity and practice.
Sandbag horribly.
Give yourself the best matches.
Put everyone else in the hat on strips of paper since you know nothing about them.
Ignore complaints/conversations.
Leave immediately following event.

Success, yo.

TeamUnity ftw hahha!!

I don't understand how there can be any complaints at events though. We're there to have fun, play golf, and support THP. What kind of issues arise?

TeamUnity ftw hahha!!

I don't understand how there can be any complaints at events though. We're there to have fun, play golf, and support THP. What kind of issues arise?

It's like anything involving groups of people - there's always a chance for some friction. Especially in competitive settings. Something a captain needs to identify when it's cropping up and figure out what the cause of any issues is.

More often than not, it's just like you described. People getting together, having fun, playing golf, and representing the community.

I think that looking at handicaps is a part of the equation but it will vary huge depending on format being played.

I think the most important thing is to get the right guys riding in the cart together.

Seeing as we have 1st time captains (or Co-Captains) at the Kickoff event sponsored by Snell, I thought it might be useful to have a healthy discussion about the responsibilities that go along with the role. Maybe it would be good to get into strategies as well.

Is it always smart to pair a high & low capper? How much should it matter whether the paired golfers know each other?

What is the best way to make sure participants are active in the forums and on the event thread?

Any other items they should be on the lookout for?
Engagement is something that has many different looks. A couple keys:

Clear expectations up front.
Lead by example
Feed the thread/teams with things that spark conversation and stimulate thought.
Keep it about the fun

I tend to be a control freak at work so I tend to back off in golf. At least in golf winning isn't everything, but I believe if you put a guy into where he's comfortable, the more likely you'll get the best out of him.

Back