I can tell you the car is running fantastic (for an 10+yr old car) and the mileage is just fine. I still fill up my 10 gallon tank once every two weeks (and I drive 40 miles a day. Though my head is tired...I can't think of the math for MPG right now.)

EDIT: 40 MPG. Took me a minute, but I got there. (That really shouldn't have been hard, now that I think about it!)

a lot of these guys prey on young women. its too bad you dont know someone you can really trust with this. if it was me, id just keep driving it. my check engine light in my truck has been on for over 2 years..... or, have a guy take it into another shop and see what they tell him?

a lot of these guys prey on young women. its too bad you dont know someone you can really trust with this. if it was me, id just keep driving it. my check engine light in my truck has been on for over 2 years..... or, have a guy take it into another shop and see what they tell him?

I'll see if I make extra money in the next few months...I will definitely be taking it into another shop. This is just the one in walking distance from my house so I can go home. :wink:

I can tell you the car is running fantastic (for an 10+yr old car) and the mileage is just fine. I still fill up my 10 gallon tank once every two weeks (and I drive 40 miles a day. Though my head is tired...I can't think of the math for MPG right now.)

EDIT: 40 MPG. Took me a minute, but I got there. (That really shouldn't have been hard, now that I think about it!)
Thats pretty good gas milage for ANY car.

What year is the F150 Bake, I know they had big time problems getting the plugs out in the 2004 model.
Its a '99. The problems you are thinking of are on the '04 or newer ones with the 3-valve cylinder heads. My '99 has the old 2-valve heads.
On the 3-valve heads, they had problems with the sparkplugs breaking when you try to remove them. Ford came up with a tool that is basically a big easy-out, that makes the job easier, but its still a PITA.
On the engine my truck has, they had problem with the sparkplugs popping out of the heads. Ive had 1 sparkplug do that on my truck and while it sucks, its fairly easy to fix with a Helicoil.
You guys have no idea how much Im looking foreward to the day when I trade my F-150 in on a Toyota Tacoma. I owned Toyotas back in the late '90s, but switched to Fords because they are less expensive to buy, but Im looking foreward to switch back to a Toyota in the next year or 2.
Right now Im just biding my time, saving up money for a down payment and waiting for the market to bottom. As long as the economy keeps on performing poorly, vehicles are only going to get cheaper and as long as my Ford keeps running OK, theres really no sense in getting rid of it anytime soon. Its got 190,000 miles on it right now though, so before long it will be time to move on to something newer.
So true. They think that women dont know about cars, so they take advantage of them.
If Julie lived nearby, Id be more than happy to take a look at it for her. Wisconsin to Texas is a bit of a drive though. :cool:

Its a '99. The problems you are thinking of are on the '04 or newer ones with the 3-valve cylinder heads. My '99 has the old 2-valve heads.
On the 3-valve heads, they had problems with the sparkplugs breaking when you try to remove them. Ford came up with a tool that is basically a big easy-out, that makes the job easier, but its still a PITA.
On the engine my truck has, they had problem with the sparkplugs popping out of the heads. Ive had 1 sparkplug do that on my truck and while it sucks, its fairly easy to fix with a Helicoil.

I had a 2004 F150, sucked a couple valves at 100k. Got it fixed and I lost overdrive. I then put that magic oil in the tranny and traded it in for a new Chevy. Funny thing is, that was my all time favorite truck.

So true. They think that women dont know about cars, so they take advantage of them.
If Julie lived nearby, Id be more than happy to take a look at it for her. Wisconsin to Texas is a bit of a drive though. :cool:

Naw, I made that drive, it's just two long days. Pony up! :wink:

I had a 2004 F150, sucked a couple valves at 100k. Got it fixed and I lost overdrive. I then put that magic oil in the tranny and traded it in for a new Chevy. Funny thing is, that was my all time favorite truck.
I like my F-150 for the most part. I just dont like the pisspoor build quality and Ford's halfass designs.
For the most part the truck has performed well for me, its just that I started out driving Toyotas and I can see a lot of areas where Ford cut corners and just didnt pay attenton to details like Toyota would have.
Thats the difference between an American vehicle and a Japanese one though.
Today after I played my round I noticed that the passenger side door is starting to get a little rust bubble. Yup, its just about time for a newer truck.

Naw, I made that drive, it's just two long days. Pony up! :wink:
LOL...call that drive, "two long days" would be the understatement of the year.
You know Id like to help ya out, Julie...:confused2:

Julie -

If you can hold off on all of that until near the end of April, I can help you out with a bunch of that stuff. I have to deliver a car to Llano, so you're not too far out of the way, just a different route (I like to come home on 281 anyway)

Let me know, I can toss my tools in the truck, and we can take care of most of it in your driveway. Worst case, I'll help you find a good mechanic; one that won't rip you off. I've got an awesome mechanic up here, if you and your sweetums can find an excuse to hang out in Fort Worth for a day or two and drive the car up.

Really? Wow, how cool is this forum!

Liquor and the driving range tokens are on me. In that order. :wink:

Back