I like rims. Not enough to replace the stock ones on my cars or truck.

Were I to look though, maybe something black for my car.
If I had a sports car then 5 spoke chrome wheels. don't @ me. I don't care that chrome wheels are out. It's my car.:ROFLMAO:

I couldn't disagree more. Nice cars have nice wheels (especially if you're loading with options) that were designed to gel with the design of the car itself. Most aftermarket rims make nice cars look cheap.

Car manufacturers make generic wheels that appeal to the masses and are cost effective to them regardless of their performance or weight. Some people want something more custom, lightweight and/or larger in size.

Wheels (and tires)are one of the easiest ways to set your vehicle apart. I painted my factory wheels while I had the fronts off the do some suspension changes. Happy with the outcome.

20210512_111001.jpg

Rims are an important factor in my decision for purchasing a car. My current SUV (Black Atlas SE with Tech Rline) already had black rims so I didn't upgrade. But if a vehicle didn't have what I wanted, I'd get the model I wanted with the base rims (cheapest) knowing that I'm going to upgrade
20201018_130410.jpg

Car manufacturers make generic wheels that appeal to the masses and are cost effective to them regardless of their performance or weight. Some people want something more custom, lightweight and/or larger in size.
Maybe some do, and certainly on generic cars that are built for the masses. I know wouldn't insult a new Roma by replacing the wheels with some aluminum set from Discount Tire simply because I want it to look different (or more custom.) If it makes a cheap car look better, sure, why not? But the more expensive the car (relatively) the cheaper it looks with aftermarket parts.

I opted for upgraded black alloy wheels to match the vehicle better, but otherwise I don't really care. It's the first time out of roughly a dozen cars that I've done anything cosmetically.

Much like the car stereo these days the stock offering is just fine for me. That being said I do like the look of some nice stock wheels

I used to have a nice set of rims on my 2wd 1993 short box GMC Sierra... but that also had a Hurst shifter and straight through exhaust. Highly impractical vehicle up here, but I really enjoyed my time with it.

Every other vehicle since has just been stock wheels. They've greatly improved the offerings direct from the dealer!

I notice nice rims but have never put anything after market on any of my vehicles.

Most mid and upper priced vehicles have nice rims now but if you have money to burn a new set of rims can change the entire look of a vehicle.

74C1EF7B-4943-438B-B6C6-5AFF5681A16A.jpeg
Here @JB, stock wheels on a 2018 C63 S.

I'm all for a set of wheels to set your vehicle apart from all the other stock ones running the roads, but what I don't understand is why 95% of the aftermarket wheels are black. I had a black set once. Probably won't ever have another. I personally like a clear-coated aluminum finish, but my current truck came with chrome as part of the package.

Please, please, pretty please: whatever you do, if you're going to get aftermarket rims get a set that doesn't cause your wheels to stick out 2 inches (or more) past your wheel wells:
b2e974d5a4eb5ad1869c55f3050dc3fe.jpg

Problem is, if I upgraded my wheels I’d want to go with bigger tires and a 6” lift to make the truck look good. Then in addition to the price of the lift, wheels and tires (including a spare because my stock one wouldn’t fit anymore), I’d also be looking at several hundred more bucks every time I replaced the tires, being more of a PITA when towing, decreased gas mileage, more noise from the tires, and maybe most importantly, endless complaints from my vertically challenged wife every time she had to climb up into the truck.

I dont have a Mercedes, but those are pretty nice.
Oh thought you guys did, looked like you guys were in one when you took your pup in for surgery.

Oh thought you guys did, looked like you guys were in one when you took your pup in for surgery.

GG had one previously. That was a fun car. @Canadan has one now, and has nice wheels. He is fancy.:ROFLMAO:

Generally not a fan of aftermarket wheels. I’d rather spec out and get decent options when I buy the car.

angle edit2.jpg

I've spent a lot on modifying cars, but usually was the motor, suspension, performance, etc. I don't know I've ever bought a set of aftermarket wheels. I've bought factory replacement wheels to replace aftermarket wheels. My current ride has the biggest wheels I've ever owned. I wouldn't ever have imagined owning 22" wheels, but I think they fit.

20200402_183513_01.jpg

I bought rims for my truck but I waited until I needed tires. My new commuter car is a upper model so it came with nice rims. Besides the car is about saving money since it gets 2 1/2 times the mileage of my truck. It’s actually paying for itself.

I'm a firm pass on upgrading rims for my vehicle. I am however 100% in on capitalism and other people buy what they want, just dont want to spend the money to look cooler than i already am. Lol

Not that they are fancy, but our new van came with a set of "upgraded" black rims.

I would honestly be fine with steel wheels lol. Cheaper to replace if I hit a curb.

I love good rims on a car and it's one of the things I look at first. I've never upgraded mine so far, but have chosen what I buy with the rims as part of the consideration.

I am a HUGE rim guy. I've never owned a vehicle that didn't have a nice set of aftermarket or premium OEM wheel & tire package. The right wheels and stance can take almost any car that nobody would ever take a 2nd glance at, and make it pop and turn heads.

Back