I used to be, 30 years ago. Now, not so much, unless it's a car I'm retromodding.

I'm all for a set of wheels to set your vehicle apart from all the other stock ones running the roads, but what I don't understand is why 95% of the aftermarket wheels are black. I had a black set once. Probably won't ever have another. I personally like a clear-coated aluminum finish, but my current truck came with chrome as part of the package.

Please, please, pretty please: whatever you do, if you're going to get aftermarket rims get a set that doesn't cause your wheels to stick out 2 inches (or more) past your wheel wells:
View attachment 9012265
That is hideous. You can tell its frightened because it has flipped its mirrors up to appear larger and scare off predators or territorial invaders. Always amazing to see how they act in the wild.

Unfortunately, most lifts will require different wheels with less backspacing to accommodate different control arms to keep steering geometry in an acceptable realm. New spindles will often times also widen the track, requiring spacers in the rear to match .

Of course, some people just want their wheels to stick out because they're morons.

Up until my last 3 cars, every car I had was modified heavily. My truck has the stock 20's but I may eventually upgrade them.

Most expensive set was on my 05 Impreza, they were 18" Avdan RS with a set of Continental Conti Sport Contact. If I remember correctly it was around 4k plus for that setup, the wheels were like 825 each.

I guess I will stick with the classics…Cragars, daisy mags, etc. Although, I have found myself liking oversized versions on stock steel wheels lately.
20B7CCAC-425E-442E-ACF3-1D2D436C74A4.pngC363FF19-7684-4348-A7C7-E2F84A399C35.pngCB504CA8-8E2E-4551-AEE0-EAE66C15046B.jpeg

Nice wheels on a car does make the look pop. I agree with @JB

Back when I sold cars my used car manager mentioned that he hated getting cars with aftermarket wheels, exception was Jeeps and maybe some trucks as long as they were a well known brand. The reason he said was because most aftermarket wheel suck. He said compared to factory wheel they never seemed to be able to balance right and had issues. So for me I might upgrade the wheels some as long as they are factory. I don't want to go too big though because they ride rougher though. Personally I still love the old aluminum cast wheels that came on the Silverados back in the 2000's.

"Back in the day" custom wheels were a must have item for every car I had. But in recent years, I've realized that no one, not a single person gives a rats furry back-side about what wheels are on my car. It makes absolutely no difference in one's quality of life. The wheels on my truck are already stylish 20 inchers and I see absolutely no reason to change. Well, maybe one reason. Change 'em to a 17" factory wheel with taller sidewall tires to improve the ride. The ride isn't bad at all though. Certainly not bad enough to pay a chunk o' money to swap 'em out.

Besides, I think the factories have done a great job with stylized wheel on modern cars. Gone are the days of steel wheels with wheel covers....which was the main reason for custom wheels back then.

With that said, there are times when a wheel-set is mandatory for a cars specific purpose. This in the photo was the last wheelset I bought.....ten years ago. Very purpose specific for the job this car does.

Attachments

• WKRatFamoso314.jpg
    WKRatFamoso314.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 12
"Back in the day" custom wheels were a must have item for every car I had. But in recent years, I've realized that no one, not a single person gives a rats furry back-side about what wheels are on my car. It makes absolutely no difference in one's quality of life. The wheels on my truck are already stylish 20 inchers and I see absolutely no reason to change. Well, maybe one reason. Change 'em to a 17" factory wheel with taller sidewall tires to improve the ride. The ride isn't bad at all though. Certainly not bad enough to pay a chunk o' money to swap 'em out.

Besides, I think the factories have done a great job with stylized wheel on modern cars. Gone are the days of steel wheels with wheel covers....which was the main reason for custom wheels back then.

With that said, there are times when a wheel-set is mandatory for a cars specific purpose. This in the photo was the last wheelset I bought.....ten years ago. Very purpose specific for the job this car does.

LOVE it! What motor were you running?

AuzzieMatt, it's a VW motor. Punched out to 2.2liters, turbocharged, with fuel injection and running on methanol. It's run a best of 9.70 at 143mph. But it quite a handful at that speed with no air foiling. Gets a bit light at speed!

I've handed it off to my son. He drives - I'm "Pit b*tch". We have it de-tuned to run mid 10s right now. A lot less maintenance, and a LOT less expense on licensing, chassis certification etc.

I really like the Cragars. I had 'em on a 1970 Dodge Challenger back in the late 70's/early80s. Skinnies up front, fatties in the back! The classic look
But, I saw a late model Dodge pick-up about the same year as mine with 20" Cragars. I didn't like it so much. I guess the "Spoke/Rim ratio was askew, and they certainly were not deep dish wheels either.

AuzzieMatt, it's a VW motor. Punched out to 2.2liters, turbocharged, with fuel injection and running on methanol. It's run a best of 9.70 at 143mph. But it quite a handful at that speed with no air foiling. Gets a bit light at speed!

I've handed it off to my son. He drives - I'm "Pit b*tch". We have it de-tuned to run mid 10s right now. A lot less maintenance, and a LOT less expense on licensing, chassis certification etc.

Nice! My second car was a 1971 Type 3 Squareback running a 2.0 litre. Fun to drive and surprised a few people on the traffic light Grand Prix. I want to get either a Fastback or a Bug and resto mod it. The only thing holding me back is time and money.

Nice! My second car was a 1971 Type 3 Squareback running a 2.0 litre. Fun to drive and surprised a few people on the traffic light Grand Prix. I want to get either a Fastback or a Bug and resto mod it. The only thing holding me back is time and money.

It's cool to have that kind of stealth. We had a Volvo 940 Turbo Wagon. Every one of the four of us had it as a daily driver at one point, and everyone loved to be able to surprise people with its acceleration and turning radius. If you didn't see the tell-tale eggcrate grille, you never knew what was coming.

Yeah, I get that. Money is becoming a bigger issue with these cars as time goes on. It used to be a working man's hobby. Now a restorable fastback that isn't a total rust bucket fetches 10K USD. Beetles can still be bought for less, but not much. Sometimes, one gets lucky and finds something that the seller really doesn't know what the market is on those. One has to be in the right place, at the right time with cash in hand. Those get snapped up quickly. Sometimes you can find 'em that someone has started on, then lost interest and is wanting to get out of it

The Bus......damn son! I saw one asking 30K that needed restoration. The pre 67s buses sell for ungodly money when restored.

The Bus......damn son! I saw one asking 30K that needed restoration. The pre 67s buses sell for ungodly money when restored.

I've seen 23 window's go for well over $150,000...it's insane.

I mean I've been turned off from buying certain cars because of crappy rims, but I've never gone out and bought an aftermarket set. They can make or break the car for me tbh

I'm a fan of aftermarket wheels/rims. I recently replaced the 19" factory wheels on my car with Beryern 20" black wheels. They are a German company and are the primary manufacture of BMW OEM wheels and the quality so far seems great.

9ISIEYVhQSelvnO0QczHGg.jpgfUCvnSsXRV+sId8GU0eSgg.jpg

Back