Car Shopping Stinks

JB, I know you've discussed a "green" option, but you also stated earlier that you may be looking into a smaller, sporty, fun type car. What about a Hyundai Genesis Coupe? Saw these when I bought my son's car and they fit the latter description and get fairly good gas mileage, good warranty (also a concern you stated), supposedly a good resale value and start at $26,750. (I haven't owned a Hyundai before, bought my son a KIA), but these looked nice.

19.jpg

From what I have read, the worst 3 brands in initial quality are Land Rover, Mini, and Jeep. This was in the past year.

When you go to a new car lot, you are looking for a suitable vehicle, not a relationship with a sales rep. Feet are made for walking. You can limit your excursions by taking advantage of buying plans probably available through Sam's or Costco. One I am familiar with is 123car.com. Truecar,com should be beneficial. If you connect with a fleet/internet rep at a dealership, you can look at his inventory. If he doesn't have a particular color or vehicle you want, but says he can get it, don't bite. That will add $250-300 to the price just for him picking that vehicle up nearby.

its funny, because based on my research, some of what you are seeing in quality is opposite to what I am. But that is what research is for. Lots of different ways to skew results for some places.

JB, I know you've discussed a "green" option, but you also stated earlier that you may be looking into a smaller, sporty, fun type car. What about a Hyundai Genesis Coupe? Saw these when I bought my son's car and they fit the latter description and get fairly good gas mileage, good warranty (also a concern you stated), supposedly a good resale value and start at $26,750. (I haven't owned a Hyundai before, bought my son a KIA), but these looked nice.

19.jpg

Im not a huge Hyundai guy based on a few things, but do like the Genesis. However with the options I want, it becomes close to that $30k price and for that I think there are better options for me. However it rides well initially and does have a good look. Not so sure on resale value though, Hyundai as a brand still has some hurdles to get over before I think that changes.

From what I have read, the worst 3 brands in initial quality are Land Rover, Mini, and Jeep. This was in the past year.

When you go to a new car lot, you are looking for a suitable vehicle, not a relationship with a sales rep. Feet are made for walking. You can limit your excursions by taking advantage of buying plans probably available through Sam's or Costco. One I am familiar with is 123car.com. Truecar,com should be beneficial. If you connect with a fleet/internet rep at a dealership, you can look at his inventory. If he doesn't have a particular color or vehicle you want, but says he can get it, don't bite. That will add $250-300 to the price just for him picking that vehicle up nearby.

I know Land Rover has received awful ratings. Its consistently on the worst made lists. Fortunately I've never really worked on them as there is no dealer around here for 300 miles so I can't speak from personal experience.

I had a Hyundai Elantra as my rental car while I was in Alberta for 2 weeks and I really came to enjoy that car. I checked the price when I got home on that car, and I would buy it, however I always end up buying a Toyota or a Volvo every time.

That is the latest and its on a lot of sites. The issue I have with it is the complaints and as you dig deeper lots of them are things that are easily avoidable for someone like myself such as tech stuff. Unfortunately in my opinion, the initial quality tests are not really what they used to be when it involved things mostly around comfort and ride.

That is the latest and its on a lot of sites. The issue I have with it is the complaints and as you dig deeper lots of them are things that are easily avoidable for someone like myself such as tech stuff. Unfortunately in my opinion, the initial quality tests are not really what they used to be when it involved things mostly around comfort and ride.
Agreed. If the 90 day issues are "how do I get my phone to sync with my radio", or "how do I set a destination in the nav" are included than this is a useless report. 90 day issues aren't as important to me either as most dealerships will handle any problem. I want to know that the brake pads don't need changing at 15k (late 90's Tahoe) and the O2 sensor didn't die prematurely (early 2k's F150). The "I hear a rattle" isn't what I'm looking for.

I have had a Land Rover, and a Jeep (Cherokee). The problem with the Land Rovers are electrical, and as in my case, minor accidents bend the frame and total out the vehicle because of the way the body is welded to the chassis. My Jeep was awesome! I put close to 200k miles on it, and drove it through everything I could think of.

JB, if you go the Hyundai route and go via a dealership they have a new program right now that guarantees you a trade in price down the road. It's pretty cool and should take care of those "resale" fears. I think Hyundai's are awesome. Extremely inderrated vehicles and to me, they are experiencing what Honda and Toyota did in this country in the 80's. The Genesis is an excellent car but you should check out a new model they have coming out called the "Veloster". Wicked little car man!

JB, if you go the Hyundai route and go via a dealership they have a new program right now that guarantees you a trade in price down the road. It's pretty cool and should take care of those "resale" fears. I think Hyundai's are awesome. Extremely inderrated vehicles and to me, they are experiencing what Honda and Toyota did in this country in the 80's. The Genesis is an excellent car but you should check out a new model they have coming out called the "Veloster". Wicked little car man!

They have come leaps and bounds in the past 10 years and your comparison is spot on. Only problem I have with Hyundai's is there are expensive to fix when something does break. They are extremely well made though.

They have come leaps and bounds in the past 10 years and your comparison is spot on. Only problem I have with Hyundai's is there are expensive to fix when something does break. They are extremely well made though.

Thanks buddy! But don't forget, they also come with one of the best warranties in the business. I've heard of people bartering unlimited maintenance in their deals as well. I'd love to never pay for oil changes, brake pads, and tire rotations.

I have had a Land Rover, and a Jeep (Cherokee). The problem with the Land Rovers are electrical, and as in my case, minor accidents bend the frame and total out the vehicle because of the way the body is welded to the chassis. My Jeep was awesome! I put close to 200k miles on it, and drove it through everything I could think of.

I never had a single issue with either of my Land Rovers thank goodness.

I looked at that one and still prefer the Genesis a little bit. I do fear a model change in the Genesis coming up next year though and I always hate getting a new car and then having the model change the following year. Just personal preference.

That is good to hear.

Thanks buddy! But don't forget, they also come with one of the best warranties in the business. I've heard of people bartering unlimited maintenance in their deals as well. I'd love to never pay for oil changes, brake pads, and tire rotations.

The Mini comes with maintenance free for 3 years. It does not add up to a lot, but its nice to have thrown in.

JB, have you driven a Genesis Coupe yet? Holy sh*t! What a fun car.

*full disclosure, I am not a Hyundai homer at all. I like Subaru's.

JB, have you driven a Genesis Coupe yet? Holy sh*t! What a fun car.

*full disclosure, I am not a Hyundai homer at all. I like Subaru's.

I have but not the 2012. Its on my list for this week.

Speaking of the Genesis, there is a new performance model coming out soon, something sick like 450 hp.

You could always go for a Lancer Evo. Four Doors and they haul absolute ass. Can't stand working on Mitsubishi's heh.

The Mini comes with maintenance free for 3 years. It does not add up to a lot, but its nice to have thrown in.

The problem with the mini would be if TC or I came to visit it would start to appear to be a clown car. However with Dean and Chunky coming down it would look like an SUV.

It's amazing what you can get the dealerships to throw in now. One of the guys in my office got them to throw in tires for as long as he owns the car!

You could always go for a Lancer Evo. Four Doors and they haul absolute ass. Can't stand working on Mitsubishi's heh.

Not for me. Its one of those cars I actually wish I liked because they are fun to drive, but the snob in me (evidently) needs a few more interior features that I like. I know, Im weird.

The problem with the mini would be if TC or I came to visit it would start to appear to be a clown car. However with Dean and Chunky coming down it would look like an SUV.

You would be shocked at the headroom in that thing.

Love the Evo but dude, my dream car is the STI. I've driven them so many times dude. Super stiff but just awesome to drive.

Not for me. Its one of those cars I actually wish I liked because they are fun to drive, but the snob in me (evidently) needs a few more interior features that I like. I know, Im weird.

Not weird at all, it takes all kinds. You know what you like and theres nothing wrong with that.

Love the Evo but dude, my dream car is the STI. I've driven them so many times dude. Super stiff but just awesome to drive.

I have a bitter taste in my mouth because of previous Subaru's. The whole head gasket issue they had for about 10-15 years was pretty disappointing. I'm so glad they went away from the hatchback STI though. I wasn't a big fan.

GG loves this new Nissan

Nissan-juke-press.jpg

Back