Car Shopping Stinks

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
I mentioned this the other day in the Rant of the Day thread, but this search should be on its own filled with daily rants that I cannot find what I want. A little background...Im not a car guy. I have had nice cars, regular cars and crappy cars and because I work from home, as long as it works okay and has the features I want, I am cool with it. My last 3 cars of have been Land Rover Discovery and then Land Rover Range Rover Sport and then Volvo S40. Im currently driving the Volvo and love having a smaller car, however its time to make the change.

We have a luxury sedan, so I am leaning towards something a little different. Between online research, test driving, dealing with sales people and finding exactly what I want, its taking its toll on me. Each of the last 3 cars I have purchased, I knew exactly what I want and it made it easy. This time, I just have no idea. I go from wanting a fully electric car, to a Mini Clubman to another Volvo (new S60 is nice), to something less expensive because after all this is our 2nd car. It is consuming me at this point and I really need to make a decision.

Not sure that I am looking for info or that I just wanted to have a thread to update as I get mad daily that I cannot make a decision, but here is that place that I can vent.

Buy a Toyota and rest easy that the cost of ownership will be far less than anything you could have ever dreamed of owning.

Buy a Toyota and rest easy that the cost of ownership will be far less than anything you could have ever dreamed of owning.

^^^^^ THIS^^^^^^ I like this guy.

I couldn't agree more with the title of this thread. We had been car shopping for a car (for my GF) for about a month and it is like pulling teeth. Luckily she got a car last weekend. Dealing with car salesmen is definitely one of my least favorite things in the world and they are scum IMO. They tried to take advantage of my GF and her mom, but luckily that did not happen. She knew what she wanted, what she was willing to pay, what the cars/models were worth, and it was still a hassle. She ended up getting a new 2011 Mazda 3 and she LOVES it so far. Thank goodness it is over with! Great thread, I can't wait to hear other THPers stories.

4750c05b-1700-3795.jpg

JB... Let me know if you need help picking a car or working out a car deal

^^^^^ THIS^^^^^^ I like this guy.

<3

I'm a Toyota homer but I've had the unfortunate pleasure of working on cars for the last 13 odd years. I have worked at BMW dealerships, GM Dealerships, and Mercedes Benz. I've also worked at a high end independant repair facility and I know what cars are made well and which aren't.

I put my wife in the same thing because I wan't her in a quality automobile that I could depend on while she is away traveling, and won't break my bank repairing. Is it the most fancy thing in the world? Nope. But our last Corolla (2006) ran 98k miles and I had to change...

1: 4 Tires
2: Accesory Drive Belt
3: Cabin Air Filter

It cost me probably 500$ to drive for 6 years.

I couldn't agree more with the title of this thread. We had been car shopping for a car (for my GF) for about a month and it is like pulling teeth. Luckily she got a car last weekend. Dealing with car salesmen is definitely one of my least favorite things in the world and they are scum IMO. They tried to take advantage of my GF and her mom, but luckily that did not happen. She knew what she wanted, what she was willing to pay, what the cars/models were worth, and it was still a hassle. She ended up getting a new 2011 Mazda 3 and she LOVES it so far. Thank goodness it is over with! Great thread, I can't wait to hear other THPers stories.

4750c05b-1700-3795.jpg

I love my 2007 Mazda 3! 75k miles and 0 problems.

I hate car shopping as well. I research for months before I go and then I find the car I want and go get it. I did that with my Pathfinder and my wife's Audi last year. My next vehicle will be the large infinity SUV what ever the style. As long as it has my features I'll be fine. But I do agree, shopping for cars if awful

For a second car I think a pick up is extremely nice to have. You already said you have a main car, the sedan, so why not go for something with some use beyond moving people and smaller possessions? My Nissan Frontier Crew is very versatile without being over the top huge or too small. Bed is not full size, but I haven't encountered anything that I haven't fit back there. Not hauling 4x8 drywall or plywood so the bed is just fine for my uses. If I needed to do that I do have a trailer hitch.

JB.
You may want to consider going to the car show Thanksgiving weekend @ the Orange County Convention Center. All of the major brands should be there and it is no pressure while looking.

Buy American.

Kevin

If you like jazz get one of them fancy Fords. I heard they have a great sound system.

Buy American.

Kevin

Would love to know how to do this (my Frontier is more American than an F150), but that's another thread unto itself.

GL, JB. My wife's car is starting to annoy her and I see us going through the whole car buying thing sooner than later.

If you like jazz get one of them fancy Fords. I heard they have a great sound system.

Jazz and Ford. Doesn't get any more American than that.

Kevin

Mini

Have you played with the build your own website?

I didn't realize the price on them has become more reasonable.

Mini

Have you played with the build your own website?

I didn't realize the price on them has become more reasonable.

I have.

They have come down in price as they have added more features and models. As you customize, you can get up there in price, but they come fairly equipped to start with which is nice. Just love the Clubman.

Good luck man. Car shopping blows for sure.

Buying a car is one of my least favorite things to do. I like and agree with the idea posted earlier about going to the car show. A good place to walk and explore all the options that are out in the market and can give you a good place to start.

The cool thing about buying a car in Florida means four wheel drive or all wheel drive is not high on the list of gotta have's.

If I were able to get another car right now I would get a chevy volt, it would be perfect for my daily commute (about 50-60 miles) I would never need gas and it cost on average $1.87 to get full charge. It has a 60 mile range on battery and a 9 gallon gas tank and with battery and gasoline power you can go more then 300 miles. I would recommend this car to anyone! Down in your area the best place for price and availability for this car would be Stingray Chevrolet in Tampa.

If I were able to get another car right now I would get a chevy volt, it would be perfect for my daily commute (about 50-60 miles) I would never need gas and it cost on average $1.87 to get full charge. It has a 60 mile range on battery and a 9 gallon gas tank and with battery and gasoline power you can go more then 300 miles. I would recommend this car to anyone! Down in your area the best place for price and availability for this car would be Stingray Chevrolet in Tampa.

You sound like a car salesman. Lol. They do seem like good cars though, especially of you are commuting that many miles per day and can do so on electric only.

The volvo s60 looks really nice JB. Lexus is another really reliable company. My parents just gave me their RX 330 from 2004. Nothing has ever had to be replaced. Still runs like it is brand new. They have a ton of options. The new IS F is awesome.

Back