Carbon Steel vs Stainless Steel

RocketSauce

ManBearPig
Reaction score
i have a few Tour Edge wedges in storage I was looking at this morning. They are the same models (the Tour Edge Bounce Wedges), but some of them are Stainless Steel and some of them are Carbon Steel. The carbon steel wedges have a darker look to them. whats the difference between the 2 metals? and what are the advantages/disadvantages between them? just curious. there wasnt any info on their website

I believe that carbon steel is a harder metal than stainless steel, thus more durable, however it will rust faster than stainless.

thanks CM. the carbon steel wedges also feel a little heavier than the stainless ones

ACTUALLY, for the layman:
SS is much harder than CS. It is more "synthetic" in nature, comprising of more alloys.
CS is soft and more "natural". It will rust. SS is more durable.

i have a few Tour Edge wedges in storage I was looking at this morning. They are the same models (the Tour Edge Bounce Wedges), but some of them are Stainless Steel and some of them are Carbon Steel. The carbon steel wedges have a darker look to them. whats the difference between the 2 metals? and what are the advantages/disadvantages between them? just curious. there wasnt any info on their website

OK, here is the rundown with all of the info.
Depending upon the type of carbon steel used it can be quite a bit different.

Carbon steel is lower on the Rockwell hardness scale and therefore easier to bend and feels softer.
Stainless is higher and therefore more resistant to bending and feels harder.

Stainless can and will rust, but nothing like carbon. If they both are chrome plated the carbon will feel softer.

I prefer carbon for my wedges. Either 1020 or s20c is my favorite. Most high end companies use carbon for their wedges and forge them.

Some companies use 8620 carbon steel which really is not carbon steel but more of an alloy. 8620 is listed in golf companies only as carbon steel, as it is considered more of an alloy like stainless.

So in all honesty the only thing I can tell you is carbon feels softer and is normally heavier depending upon the different "grades" that can be used but without knowing the type of carbon anything other than that would be guessing.

OK, here is the rundown with all of the info.
Depending upon the type of carbon steel used it can be quite a bit different.

Carbon steel is lower on the Rockwell hardness scale and therefore easier to bend and feels softer. - Depends on the alloy. Yes, this is true, but not always true. There are some very soft stainless alloys.

Stainless is higher and therefore more resistant to bending and feels harder. - A minimum of 12% chromium is what makes stainless steel, stainless

Stainless can and will rust, but nothing like carbon. If they both are chrome plated the carbon will feel softer. -

I prefer carbon for my wedges. Either 1020 or s20c is my favorite. Most high end companies use carbon for their wedges and forge them.

Some companies use 8620 carbon steel which really is not carbon steel but more of an alloy. 8620 is listed in golf companies only as carbon steel, as it is considered more of an alloy like stainless.

So in all honesty the only thing I can tell you is carbon feels softer and is normally heavier depending upon the different "grades" that can be used but without knowing the type of carbon anything other than that would be guessing.

Great response. I added a few of my thoughts to it as well.

"Carbon Steel" is a very, very broad term.

The AISI defines carbon steel as: "Steel is considered to be carbon steel when no minimum content is specified or required for chromium, cobalt, columbium [niobium], molybdenum, nickel, titanium, tungsten, vanadium or zirconium, or any other element to be added to obtain a desired alloying effect; when the specified minimum for copper does not exceed 0.40 per cent; or when the maximum content specified for any of the following elements does not exceed the percentages noted: manganese 1.65, silicon 0.60, copper 0.60."

This Wikipedia page is actually very good, and follows along with all that I've ever learned about metallurgy from school, work and hobby:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_steel

Typically, carbon steel is softer than stainless. Im pretty sure that all of the forged wedges are made of carbon steel.
The disadvantages to carbon steel are that its easier to get more dings from bag chatter and they rust much easier.
Carbon steel clubs typically give you a much softer feel than stainless

Back