MikeF

Reaction score
Handicap
Currently I carry a 3i in my bag but am seriously considering dropping it in favour of a 4th wedge.

My irons gap out as follows

3i - 22
4i - 25
5i - 28
6i - 31
7i - 35
8i - 39
9i - 43
pw - 47
gw - 52
sw - 56

Now my hybrid is a 20.5 so is essentially in between a 2i and a 3i.

I am not sure if the gap from the hybrid to the 4i is too large.

If the 3i does go a 60* wedge will be added to the bag

If I get a new set of irons they will more than likely be 4-pw anyway so it may be an idea to get used to the setup now

Opinions and who else still carries a 3i?

I think you can gain a lot more with a 60 degree vs your 3 iron. How many times do you hit a 3 iron each round, and hit it good? I say go for it. I recently traded out my 3 iron for a hybrid that goes like 20 yds further than my 3 iron, but I rarely use a 3 iron anyways.

Loft gaps mean nothing. Its all about accurate distance gaps that truly make a difference.

I agree with MarcH. If you've got a hybrid that goes a little longer than a 3i than there's no need to carry one, choke down on the hybrid. Chances are you might have a slightly higher yardage gap between your hybrid and your 4i but at that distance, depending on your hcp, you're not looking to hit it 10 ft you're just hoping to get it on. Also, when you start looking in to getting a 60* wedge check your swing speed and make sure it's right for you. If you're a shorter hitter you might want to look into a 58* with a little more bounce than a 60*. Wedge play is where you're going to make up or lose a lot of strokes. Just my thoughts. Hope it help you out some.

I already have a 60* that I can put in the bag, to be honest it will mainly be used around the green when needing height and stop.

If I am being honest I can't remember the last time I used the 3i other than at the range, guess its because I always carried a 3i that it is still in the bag. No room for sentiment in this game though so I think it's time for it to make way for the 60

Will ponder it some more

If your problem area is the short game then I would get rid of the 3i for another wedge. The opposite holds true if the longer par 4s and 5s are where you have most trouble.

Look at a few of the more recent score cards and see where you can shave off strokes in terms of clubs..

Agree with below. Unless you have a high swing speed, the 60* isn't going to do you much. Theoretically, if you open a 56* you can accomplish the same things.
I use my 56* from everywhere. To hit a flop shot I simply lay it open. Recently I started opening the face to hit it different distances rather than try to alter my swing.

I'm surprised you even hit it on the range! :banghead: hybrids are taking place of the long irons, if we like it or not. I think if you got a 60* laying around put it in the bad. There's no 14 club rule when your out on the course having fun so take both see what you hit mor often and go from there.

I'm surprised you even hit it on the range! :banghead: hybrids are taking place of the long irons, if we like it or not. I think if you got a 60* laying around put it in the bad. There's no 14 club rule when your out on the course having fun so take both see what you hit mor often and go from there.

I hit it on the range to keep my feel for it should I need it on the course. Never been a fan of hybrids until recently, wouldn't be without my mashie now though

Loft gaps mean nothing. Its all about accurate distance gaps that truly make a difference.

+1.....Distance gaps......

My two cents. Only carry one fairway wood. Take out your 3i. Add a 3-hybrid. Add a 60*.

Golf is all about filling the gap between distances. I carry a 3i, but not a 4i as I don't think I have ever had to use it. I am not a long hitter at all and my wedges usually cover everything from 115 yds and in down to 65 yds with a full 60 degree wedge swing. I wold say try a few rounds without your 3i and with a 60, and assess your game after that.

I carry a 3 iron on most courses that I play. I've yet to find a hybrid that I have as much confidence in off the tee than my 3 iron. If the driver is not working on the day, I'm long enough and confident enough to just hit the 3 iron and play from there.

However I haven't given up the search, I'd love to find a hybrid that could split the difference in my 3 iron and 5 wood so I could add that 60 degree wedge. Beh hogan, Adams a3, Adams pro gold, and currently Wilson hs have all given it a go, but there is always something that doesn't match up and i go back to the 3 iron.

I think the mashie is up next when I decide to fork over the cash, so if you guys ever see no iron in my sig, it's gonna be one heck of a club lol

My two cents. Only carry one fairway wood. Take out your 3i. Add a 3-hybrid. Add a 60*.

This is exactly what I've gone to in the last few years. Can hit so many more and consistent shots with the 3 hybrid.

I don't ever use my 3i. I have it in my bag, but take it out for tournaments. My 2h and 3i only have a few yards difference, so I'm not losing much by not having it. I do carry 4 wedges also and would not under any circumstance get rid of any of them.

What is the distance gap between the mashie, and your 3-iron? If it isn't much, the mashie is easier to hit, and the 3-iron is unnecessary, so adding the 60* only makes sense IMO.

I can hit the mashie easily 200 - 220 yards with a steady swing, 3i is at most 210. Pretty sure that I am removing the 3i from the bag (at least for a few rounds to see how it works out)

If you don't hit it, there's no point in carrying it. I know too many people who really struggle to hit a 3i, but carry one and get tempted to take it out at a short par 4 'for accuracy', then proceed to duck hook it into the long stuff.

Personally, I think 4 is too many wedges (for my game). Unless I'm practising incessantly on every type of shot around the green, 4 wedge options would just confuse me and lead to inconsistency with my shot choices. That said, I can hit a 3i pretty low and straight, so it can come in handy on a windy day.

I've not used a 3i for about 3 years now. I've got a Cleveland Halo (currently interested in the Mashie that I hear a lot of chatter about on here) and that has easily replaced my 3i and I carry the 4 wedges now.

I've never looked back since dropping my 3i and my recent set of irons doesn't even come with one included.

If you hit your mashie and 4i well then drop the 3i as you will get much more benefit from the 60*

I carry a pair of mashies and don't have an iron over a 5i in my bag. I just like what I get from the hybrids versus what I get from the irons. The only time I even think about putting my 4i in the bag is if I'm playing on a windy day and want a lower ball flight from a tee shot.

It just depends on what your comfortable with. I carry "4" wedges only because my clubs are 1/2 a club strong and my 4i is 22 and 1/2 degrees (essentially a 3i) and my pw is essentially a 9i. I am about to change out my wedge setup when the ping anser wedge comes out and go with a 52* and a 60* because realistically, I'm more accurate with a 3/4 swing with my wedges and have really good distance control regardless of the distance. If you struggle with your short game and your biggest problem is controlling the distance, a 4th wedge would likely be more beneficial. All that said... if you don't use your 3i every, add the wedge. My 60* is by far the best club in my bag and it can really help out a lot of players that are in that intermediate to low handicap level.

Thanks for the opinions, I am going to take the 3i out and see how I get along without it. Will put the 60 into the bag and if I start to use it a lot I will be buying a Vokey to match my other wedges

Going the other way right now as carrying 4 wedges it seemed I never got as comfortable as I could with any so I have a 60 bent to 58 and a 52 bent to 54 and switch out a 3 iron off an on with a high carrying 5 wood depending on the course. Current makeup

Titleist Vokey rusty oil can 52 98 degree bounce) bent to 54
Titleist Vokey spin milled 60 (4 degrees bounce) bent to 58
3-w Titleist 692CBs (have pretty strong lofts but put a more flexible shaft and carry a long way vs. other blade or some cavity back clubs) - I hit the 3 iron consistently straight and can accept that I hit it only ten yards farther on average 200-210 vs. the 4 iron of 185-200 (with a 15 yard gap going down). What the 3 iron gives is the shot to recover from under trees or to run a ball up on a tight green and I have never ever been as consistent with any hybrid at that and most hybrids for me either go "too hot", draw too much (so many on the market are closed or at least look like it), or balloon with the 580 a rare exception as it provides a boring but high ball flight (have also had good luck in the past with some Nicent models). For me the only additive value of a hybrid is to get it out of rough better than the long irons - otherwise, I just am more comfortable most of the time with a long iron and "miss badly less" for some reason.
Tiltiest 15 degree 904
Titleist 9.5 910 D3 set a degree more loft
Hybrid Titleist 580 23 degrees or 5 wood 904F with 21 degree loft (goes normally about the same carry distance as the 3 iron but totally different trajectories and both the hybrid in these models are usually easier to fade for me, while other hybrids go too much left, while I draw the 695 irons usually much better)
Putter Ping c60 after trying others this is making the putts right now

I still carry a 3i. But then again, I hit it well. I can't hit a standard fairway wood off the turf this season it seems. I also don't have any hybrids or anything, so the 3i is a must.

Back