We do. We bought a cast iron 2 burner griddle right when we got married. It's 15 years old and black as coal. It's awesome!! We also have a large skillet we use for things as well, but mainly I use it for cornbread.

Yep, love my cast iron for cooking outside and camping. I’d like to use it more at home but I’m nervous how they’d mix with the ceramic top range.

Yep, love my cast iron for cooking outside and camping. I’d like to use it more at home but I’m nervous how they’d mix with the ceramic top range.
Just use caution and don't drop the pan or drag it around; it should be fine.(y)

Love my cast iron pans at home and camp.
At camp I have a 36" cast iron frying pan that fits on the outdoor fireplace perfectly. 2 lbs. of bacon fit with ease and then 5 lbs of potatoes and a 1lb of onions for home fries. :p
Dying for summer and camp!

I still have one, and if I go to auctions I try to get another one if I can.

We use ours almost every night!!!

If I was allowed in the kitchen I would. :bicker:

I was really coming in here to see if this was a cast vs forged iron debate

I am going to try and use our cast iron for valentines steaks tonight. Any tips welcomed!

Love mine, don't use it as much as I should though.

To answer the OP, we have one, but don't use it as much as I thought we would. However, the times we have used it, we've had some pretty delicious meals.

Made some chicken tamale casserole last night using 1 of my cast iron skillets & was wondering how many others still use cast iron?
I am old school and we cook in all sorts of cast iron. Nothing like a stew cooked in cast iron. I do have some no stick pans that I use for quick cooking. Wife just fixed stew the other night in one of our cast iron pots. yuuuummmmmm

They're fine. Use mine all the time.

I am going to try and use our cast iron for valentines steaks tonight. Any tips welcomed!
Get it as hot as you can, like super hot with out the steak in it. Season the steak. Turn your oven on 450 or so. Sear the steak on both sides. Then bake them to your desired temp. ???

Love cooking with cast iron. Steaks, corn bread, etc.

I still use cast iron quite often. I have 4 skillets of varying sizes, 5 and 8 qt. dutch ovens, a griddle for stove and grill, and a "grilling" pan. I have a ear-of-corn shaped cornbread pan that hardly ever gets used. I use an 8 inch or 10 inch skillet for making cornbread. I also have some very small skillets (3" or so). I use those for making small cobblers and what not.

Of the larger skillets, 2 were my grandmother's. She died in 1974. My mom doesn't know when grandma bought them but she had them for a while before she died.

I also have some enameled cast iron.

We have a couple of cast iron skillets, I'm a fan of them

What else would I cook corn bread in?!

I use cast iron to finish steaks after I have cooked them sous vide. Hot pan, couple spoons of butter, sprig of rosemary, salt and pepper, spoon melted butter over the steak as it cooks repeat for all sides. Yum!!:love:

Just use caution and don't drop the pan or drag it around; it should be fine.(y)
They're fine. Use mine all the time.

They haven’t scratched your ceramic top at all? Hmm... I’d be pretty happy if I didn’t have to keep buying those stupid non-stick things all the time since they wear out so fast!

I don't use cast iron (except for that Le Crueset pan my wife has) but I do use skillets and pans on my glass top stove. There aren't any scratches on the surface. The pots have varied from enameled Rachel Ray to some painted ceramic coated. The skillets have ranged from enameled Rachel Ray to unanodized Calphalon.

There aren't scratches but there are burns from stuff that's spilled over and gotten between the glass top and the skillet bottom.

Get it as hot as you can, like super hot with out the steak in it. Season the steak. Turn your oven on 450 or so. Sear the steak on both sides. Then bake them to your desired temp. ???
Was going to say the same thing!

I have a large cast iron skillet, and really like to do steaks, pork chops, and chicken in it. If you take Datadude's advice, you will get a nice sear that keeps the juices in. I always take the meat off once i'm done, and let it sit for 5-10 minutes on a plate under foil before serving/cutting. Seems to retain more moisture.

Back