mattywire

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I’m Matthew and I’m new to this forum so I thought I would introduce myself.

I’m trying to do some research on the experiences of casual golfers for a project I am working on. Personally, I struggle fitting in rounds of golf because I work 2pm-10pm (Shifts?) and its difficult for me to get out there in the week. I like to think I make up for it on the weekend when I try to get 2 rounds but even that is difficult sometimes. I’m just wondering what other things the casual golfer has problems with like their own space to train and improve, the cost of equipment (training aids) and distractions at the driving range.

Below are some of the questions I am trying to answer and I would be grateful for your comments.

• Do you like your own space to practice?
  • Would you like to see statistics such as ball spin rate, carry distance and total distance etc?
  • Do you find you don’t have the time in the week or do you go after work or just weekends practice/play? Suggested layout below
  • Do you like to play in all weathers or just when its sunny?

When do you practice/play? Weekdays - Weekday Evenings - Just weekends

Would access to a golf simulator help to improve your performance?

Hi everyone, I’m Matthew and I’m new to this forum so I thought I would introduce myself.

I’m trying to do some research on the experiences of casual golfers for a project I am working on. Personally, I struggle fitting in rounds of golf because I work 2pm-10pm (Shifts?) and its difficult for me to get out there in the week. I like to think I make up for it on the weekend when I try to get 2 rounds but even that is difficult sometimes. I’m just wondering what other things the casual golfer has problems with like their own space to train and improve, the cost of equipment (training aids) and distractions at the driving range.

Below are some of the questions I am trying to answer and I would be grateful for your comments.

• Would you like to see statistics such as ball spin rate, carry distance and total distance etc?
  • Do you find you don’t have the time in the week or do you go after work or just weekends practice/play? Suggested layout below

Happy to have you with us, sir!!!

• Do you like your own space to practice?...........( It doesn't matter to me )
  • Would you like to see statistics such as ball spin rate, carry distance and total distance etc?.........(Carry distance per club is all I really care about.)
  • Do you find you don’t have the time in the week or do you go after work or just weekends practice/play............(Being retired, I practice, or play 4-5 days a week. Usually not on Friday-Sunday)

• Do you like to play in all weathers or just when its sunny?...........(Cold, wind chilled, north winds will keep me home most of the time)

When do you practice/play? Weekdays - Weekday Evenings - Just weekends.........(Week days)

Would access to a golf simulator help to improve your performance........(Probably not at this point)

Welcome, Matthew. You're going to love it here.

Welcome! To answer your questions, yes I love seeing data on my swings and ball flight. A trackman simulator opened up near me and I feel it has helped my game tremendously since I’m only able to play outside 5-6 months out of the year.

I prefer to play in warm sunny weather but don’t mind overcast or even a little rain. Not a big fan of wind. Last summer, since I belonged to a club, I would go to the range after work and then play 3-4 holes. Weekends were strictly for playing 18. I no longer belong to a club but I’m still going to try and stick to that routine

I’m trying to do some research on the experiences of casual golfers for a project I am working on.
Welcome Matthew. I would be happy to help you, but first need to know whether I fit your target group. You say your target group is "casual golfers". Can you define what you mean by casual golfers?

• Do you like your own space to practice? Not necessarily
  • Would you like to see statistics such as ball spin rate, carry distance and total distance etc? Yes
  • Do you find you don’t have the time in the week or do you go after work or just weekends practice/play? Suggested layout below After work
  • Do you like to play in all weathers or just when its sunny? All weather, as long as it's dry weather.

When do you practice/play? Weekdays - Weekday Evenings - Just weekends All of the above

Would access to a golf simulator help to improve your performance? I hope so, or I flushed a lot of money down the tubes.

2-10 shift is the perfect shift for golf. get on the course at 8 am and 18 holes is done by noon. Eat, shower and off to work you go!

:welcome:

I would say most THP members are not what I would call casual golfers

• Do you like your own space to practice? If by practice you mean playing 18 holes than yes. If you mean repeatedly hitting balls towards a field then no.
  • Would you like to see statistics such as ball spin rate, carry distance and total distance etc? Yes, I am toying with the idea of adding Arccos
  • Do you find you don’t have the time in the week or do you go after work or just weekends practice/play? Suggested layout below. I would love to get some play in during the week but I find after 8 hours at work I don't have the ambition left. I will get up very early Sat/Sun to play however
  • Do you like to play in all weathers or just when its sunny? I won't tee off if it's raining or below 30F. If I happen to get caught in rain during a round the intensity determines if I continue or not

When do you practice/play? Weekdays - Weekday Evenings - Just weekends. Practice: N/A. Play: Weekends

Would access to a golf simulator help to improve your performance? Likely - I'm currently researching local sims to see what's available

Welcome to THP @mattywire.

I would love my own space but I go to the range.
Sure I would love to have a personal launch monitor
I try to go to the practice range 1x a week splitting time between the green and range.
I will play as long as it's above 50 when we tee off.

I would say most THP members are not what I would call casual golfers
Yeah, well when Matthew said it was "research" for a "project", I would expect some rigor in the definition. So, I'll be very interested in his reply. Even if it is a school project, we want Matthew to get a good grade and don't want to pollute his data!

Welcome Matthew. I would be happy to help you, but first need to know whether I fit your target group. You say your target group is "casual golfers". Can you define what you mean by casual golfers?

Hi yeah sure, my deffenition of a casual golfer is someone who just wants to play for fun not to win or if they do win its a bonus, someone who wants to improve their own skills and get better, so my self I do want to improve i've not played any competitions yet but maybe in the future I want to but i just like playing with my mates.

Thanks matthew

Welcome! To answer your questions, yes I love seeing data on my swings and ball flight. A trackman simulator opened up near me and I feel it has helped my game tremendously since I’m only able to play outside 5-6 months out of the year.

I prefer to play in warm sunny weather but don’t mind overcast or even a little rain. Not a big fan of wind. Last summer, since I belonged to a club, I would go to the range after work and then play 3-4 holes. Weekends were strictly for playing 18. I no longer belong to a club but I’m still going to try and stick to that routine

Thanks for your response I really appreciate it, I'm the same i like playing 18 holes on the weekend unless I have a bad day lol

Welcome from SW WI

• Do you like your own space to practice? Yes
  • Would you like to see statistics such as ball spin rate, carry distance and total distance etc? Yes
  • Do you find you don’t have the time in the week or do you go after work or just weekends practice/play? Generally i can practice a bit during the week but rarely play a round during the week.
  • Do you like to play in all weathers or just when its sunny? Anytime but in the rain

When do you practice/play? Weekdays - Weekday Evenings - Just weekends play on the weekends and pracice during the week

Would access to a golf simulator help to improve your performance? Sure.

Hi yeah sure, my deffenition of a casual golfer is someone who just wants to play for fun not to win or if they do win its a bonus, someone who wants to improve their own skills and get better, so my self I do want to improve i've not played any competitions yet but maybe in the future I want to but i just like playing with my mates.

Thanks matthew
So based on what you said, I think I fit your definition. I'm always reminding others in my group that having fun is the main objective. I do play in tournaments, but again it's local stuff for fun. It's not like I am trying to make a career out of it or get to a particular tour. By your definition you are covering a very wide range of golfers. People of all ages. Well-healed and playing on a shoestring. People who play a handful of times per year to multiple times per week. Folks in places where they can play year around, and places where if you don't have access to a simulator, you don't play for several months out of the year. Try to keep that in mind as you look at the answers you get.

Now to your questions.

Do you like your own space to practice? Generally, no. Where I live we can play or practice year around and there are lots of public facilities to do so. Plus I like interacting with people. I do have a net, mat, and personal launch monitor that I can set up at home, but I prefer a practice facility.

Would you like to see statistics such as ball spin rate, carry distance and total distance etc? Sometimes. Again, I have my own personal launch monitor that I bought used for $200 and gives me everything you listed. If you are thinking of something in the class of a high end simulator. No need for me to spend $20k or more on that setup. I'm big on getting fitted for clubs, but any reputable fitter is going to have their own equipment.

Do you find you don’t have the time in the week or do you go after work or just weekends practice/play? COVID-19 government restrictions aside I generally practice on average 3 times per week for an average of 90 minutes per session. I also play 75-85 rounds a year. It wasn't always so. But at this stage of life I'm an empty nester and my work gives me some flexibility during the week because I have a lot of Sunday or 7x24 responsibilities. One of the things regularly discussed with other casual golfers is that golf is a game for a lifetime. Like others I played only a few times a year when the kids were growing up. But as the stages in life unfold, golf is always there when you have the time and desire.

Do you like to play in all weathers or just when it's sunny? "All weather" means different things depending on where you live. Here in the San Francisco Bay Area you can (and I do) easily play year around. 'Winter' means highs in the 50s to 60s, and what locals call 'rain' is seldom more than a drizzle and we go years between thunder and lighting storms. In that context, weather is no issue. If I lived in a harsher climate, I'd probably eschew rounds with hard, cold rain, play in thunder and lightening, and most rounds around or below freezing.

When do you practice/play? Weekdays - Weekday Evenings - Just weekends? Generally speaking, I'll practice 3 times a week for about 90 minutes each. Twice during the week after work and once on the weekend. Fridays is the day of the week I play most often. But I usually get another round in either sometime else during the week, or tournaments or club events on a Saturday. You'll find that daylight hours over the course of a year matters a lot to many of us. Summer offers a lot of us the ability to play a round after work.

Would access to a golf simulator help to improve your performance? Sure, at times. But in my circumstances, it wouldn't happen very often. With the ability to play 12 months out of the year and having played and studied the game for over 40 years, in most cases I know instantly what happened with any given swing. I know my tendencies and how to correct them. Much of the enjoyment comes from being outside, relating with others, and the physical benefits of carrying my bag and walking the course. A lot of that is lost with a simulator.

Since you talked a lot about simulators, I'll add this.

With current technology there are some things simulators are good at, some they are not, and some that the realism varies wildly. An example of something I don't think they are good at are various types of chips and pitches around the green. Part of that is the simulator and part of that is the player. My short game is good enough that I can control spin and height to make the ball dance a certain way. Simulators don't do a good job of replicating what I produce in real life. Also, in real life I can evaluate lies, firmness of the greens and other factors that I can't with today's simulators. I can walk a green in real life and feel the firmness of a green. Can't do that with a simulator. Same thing with how tight the lie is. With most simulators ever shot is on a dead flat lie. No ball above your feet, below your feet, uphill or downhill EVEN if that is what you see on the simulator. Things like that can actually screw up your game.

Welcome to THP!!

Back