Casual round: Honors or Ready Golf on the tee?

El Rayo X

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Well, How do you all play?
I'm all for ready golf unless there's a birdie/eagle in the group on prior hole. (Bad juju to play in front of the birdman LOL)
What say ye?

Same. Only birdies or better. If only one person gets a par and they're ready I will usually defer, but no one gets upset about not teeing off first after a par.

Ready golf. Don't care what kind of round.

If you are ready, go. Haha don't wait on me.

Will try to let birdies or better go first but if they are goofing around then ready golf. I guess you can call me impatient when I play golf but I don't just rush to grab driver and tee off. I do take some time to figure out what the tee shot should be so I don't usually win the race to see who is first.

Ready golf, no question. If you want to be a gentleman or gentlewoman, buy the next round.

Yes let the birdie guy/gal go first unless they are just not ready and holding things up. Otherwise always ready golf.

Ready golf. If a couple of us are ready, we’ll go honors, but it’s not a big deal for us.

I walk up to the tee box ready to swing, but give a birdie or better the nod with a "you want it" just to give them the "good job bud" again for a great hole.

Most times that I play its acknowledged and passed on for "honors"

Ready golf. If someone made a birdie and there are ready to hit on the next hole I'll give the honors but if they're dinking around I'll go. Slow golf is the worst so I try to keep it moving as much as possible.

Never the same. I will "usually" go last because I'm generally longer than my usual golf buddies. But- as mentioned above, if a birdie or something shows up, then it's their go. When I get paired up with strangers, I play it by ear. Sometimes it's honors and sometimes it's ready golf. Just depends on the mood of the group at the time. But again, a bird man (or woman) will get the right to go first. If I get the bird and am offered the tee, I will sometimes turn it down only to let the shorter hitters go so we're not standing around.

But- If there are 2 or 3 different tees being used- that can get tricky depending on how far someone actually can hit. Going short to long is awkward because the front tee guys hit and then have to get out of the way. Or if the back tee guys go first, you wait until they can go, then the front tee guys have to go to their tee and go through their pre shot stuff. And the group ahead is miles away.

Worst is the "I'm going no matter what" guy. He putts out, leaves before the rest of the group and is pegging it up trying to hit with 2 yards of safety space to the group in front. HE won't finish any faster than the rest of us, but he thinks it's faster. Until he has to spend all day looking in the woods and fishing for balls in the lake.

Casual round = No honors, ready golf all the time.

Ready! Ready ready ready! This game takes long enough!

Ready golf at all times. I’ve played with some golf snobs before and not even they cared about honors on the tee box.

I think once pace of play became an issue that everyone decided it’s time to improve on people have decided to just go away with this tradition.

plus it’s never made sense to me anyway about honors. Whoever scored the best should go last in my opinion. It’s always a weird feeling in a matchplay situation where someone wins the 17th to bring it to all square going into the 18th hole only to have to go first and then let your opponent who just lost the hole get the advantage to see the first shot.

I know some people prefer going first or think it’s more of a mental advantage to stripe one first to put pressure on the opponent, but that’s only if you can stripe it lol. I would argue the large majority of amateur golfers would prefer to go 2nd or last as opposed to going first. If I’m wrong please let me know.

Ready golf save for birdies or better. Heck, that’s how I’ve played for about as long as i can recall.

Our group has been playing together so long we don’t care who goes first, but the standing rule is first cart in first cart out. That means if you’re the lead cart it’s expected that you and your partner tee off and get out of the way so the two behind don’t sit in their cart waiting to pull away. We do try to speed up play being geezers and all. When we hit a shot we get back in the cart and put the club back in the bag at the next shot.

I won’t step on an eagle. Ready golf otherwise - I don’t care about your birdie and you shouldn’t care about mine!

Well, How do you all play?
I'm all for ready golf unless there's a birdie/eagle in the group on prior hole. (Bad juju to play in front of the birdman LOL)
What say ye?

Exactly like this!

We'll give honors however if the situation calls for short hitters first, then by all means, take the tee.

ready golf. Birdies are good to take the box first though.

Ready golf unless there is a birdie or eagle. They go in that case.

Back