Cataract Surgery Outcomes?

Phil75070

Proud Member of Team THP - 2018 #TheGrandaddy
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 6.3
A little background first. Well over 20 years ago I had Lasik eye surgery with a great result for many, many years. As my eyes have aged, in the last several years I've gone back to wearing glasses for distance just to sharpen things up a bit, possibly due to my astigmatism or the fact that I've gotten to the point where I could use cataract surgery. I am one who, when it comes to anything as important as my eyes or other major decisions, does a lot of research. Now, I can probably put it off as my only significant issue is the glare from headlights while driving in the dark, which, right now, I only do on my way to the golf course for our 1st-off tee time every weekday. I've had two visits with the ophthalmologist and had all the measurements done and have been given a number of options to consider. I'm curious what others have done and what your outcomes have been especially if you have/had astigmatism and had laser eye surgery (PK or PRK) done to correct your vision in the past like I have had.

Did you go with the traditional manual method or laser?
Monofocal (near or far), monovision, or multifocal?
Toric to correct astigmatism? (Especially interested in this as my research shows Toric lenses can make astigmatism worse in a small percentage of cases, and with my luck....).

My astigmatism is not that bad but just bad enough to be unable to correct it in the surgery itself. So, one recommendation is to insert monofocal Toric IOLs but I would need glasses for close up and even intermediate vision such as seeing the computer screen or even the dashboard in the car clearly. Not the worst option, better than not having a Toric IOL and having to wear glasses even for distance to correct for the astigmatism (it has to be corrected one way or another, surgically, use of a Toric lens, or glasses).

Then there is a newer multifocal lens, Vivity, which would give me clear distance vision and even intermediate vision up to about an arm's length away. I may or may not need readers for anything closer, depending on the size of the print. As opposed to other, full multifocal IOLs that provide for clear vision at all distances, up close, intermediate and far, the Vivity is supposedly superior in regard to glare and halos around lights that are experienced with other multifocal IOLs.

Of course, each option going from manual to laser assisted, from monofocal IOLs to monofocal Toric IOLs, to multifocal Toric IOLs, is increasingly more expensive. Cost, though, is the least of my concerns. I just want the best outcome with minimal complications.

My father and mother-in-law both had cataract surgery in the last few years. My MIL got the multi-focal lens and had some issues with the halos and such - though I don't know if that newer lens was around. My father, who had it done last year, had monofocal - his doctor suggested the situation you posed here with glasses for close-up vision. Both did laser.

I am right in your wheel house.

I have an astigmatism and due to age my eyes have issues reading. I have moved to two different types of contact lens in each eye. One for reading and the other for distance. Still makes driving difficult at night on dark roads when headlights coming have that glow around them.

I am curious to what others on here have done. In the past, I was considered a great candidate for LASIK surgery due to my cornea being thinker then normal. Never did it because of many reasons, but started to consider again.

My boss just completed cataract surgery on both eyes. He did the laser. He had some issues with the halos and had an infection scare but everything turned out fine in the end. Ive known him for 25 years and he has always worn thick glasses, now he is driving without glasses and seems great (he looks very odd without glasses). He had a little buyers remorse at first but I think that was because of the few things that I mentioned.

I had manual cataract sergury done on both eyes 8 months ago. One done, and a week later the other. Both procedures lasted about 6 minutes each. I was more, or less awake during both serguries. Quite a sensation to say the least. Fentanyl is great stuff I found out.

I was up and around, walking to my car about 15 minutes after each procedure. 24 hours after each procedure I was driving myself to the golf course for putting practice.

Each eye, post sergury required 30 days of three different eye drops, used three times a day. This got old real fast for me.

Due to my VA health insurance limits, I went with the long distance lens implants, which left me just needing reading glasses.

That first week between serguries was a real "WOW" moment. The difference between my eyes was quite an "eye opening" event. One eye seeing through very dirty brown water, while the other was 100% clear. Showed me just how bad my cateracts was.

My only problem was the long wait to have the procedures done. The VA couldn't get me in for 18 months, then the covid thing hit, which cost me another 16 months. They finally agreed to let me go to an outside medical source.

Right after the serguries, I started seeing little, white, pacman looking things occasionally floating around on the out side edges of my vision. These white things were deemed normal, and have pretty much disappeared now.

On a reevaluation, due to the white thingies, where they looked inside my eyeballs the doctor found some damage (bleeding) inside the eyes. Some retinal nerve damage too. This was not attributed to the previous serguries, or even the cataracts itself. It just couldn't be seen due to severity (long wait) of cataract serguries. Apparently it's something that runs in my side of my family.

For the past four months, I've been recieving treatments for this problem. Each eye, one week apart, once a moth. I won't go into this. 2 minute proceedure that also takes a 2 hour office wait. Then another several hours at home, in bed, rebounding from that 2 minute proceedure. I'm hoping next tuesday the doc tells me I no longer need this proceedure.

I will most likely need wear glasses for both reading and long range eventually to get back close to 20/20 vision. I'll never have perfect vision again. The damage to my left eye is considerable.

I am about to embark on that journey myself. I have an appointment on the 16th with the most highly rated Opthlmologists in the area, who I was referred to by the optometrist who wrote my last glasses prescription, and who informed me that I needed my cataracts done! I am leaning toward monofocal distance right now, since I golf, hunt, and fish. I figure that if I need cheaters for near or mid range work, I can handle that later. I was told on another webforum that Medicare will handle the entire cost of a monofocal IOL, but will pay only a portion of anything else. This will be my inital exam and consultation, so, we will see what they have to say. I have some money set aside, and can afford some additional expense if it seems like a good decision.

When I booked this appointment, I told the woman that I was talking to that my Mom had the procedure maybe 25 years prior, and she could not believe how good her vision was. She told me that technology has advanced so much in that time, that I would not believe it! So, I'm kind of anxious to see what happens!

I had manual cataract sergury done on both eyes 8 months ago. One done, and a week later the other. Both procedures lasted about 6 minutes each. I was more, or less awake during both serguries. Quite a sensation to say the least. Fentanyl is great stuff I found out.

I was up and around, walking to my car about 15 minutes after each procedure. 24 hours after each procedure I was driving myself to the golf course for putting practice.

Each eye, post sergury required 30 days of three different eye drops, used three times a day. This got old real fast for me.

Due to my VA health insurance limits, I went with the long distance lens implants, which left me just needing reading glasses.

Wait a minute! You drove yourself to these procedures? I had to get a ride to the initial exam and consult! Don't they bandage the operative eye, and you are basically one eyed? I am becoming confused. When I booked this appointment I asked the receptionist if I could drive myself to the original exam. She said it would be better to have a ride, since they would dilate me. I asked her how long it took to recover from dilation. She said it varies. Some people take a couple of hours, some people take a couple of days!

But, the die is cast, and I will go with the course that I have plotted.

I am about to embark on that journey myself. I have an appointment on the 16th with the most highly rated Opthlmologists in the area, who I was referred to by the optometrist who wrote my last glasses prescription, and who informed me that I needed my cataracts done! I am leaning toward monofocal distance right now, since I golf, hunt, and fish. I figure that if I need cheaters for near or mid range work, I can handle that later. I was told on another webforum that Medicare will handle the entire cost of a monofocal IOL, but will pay only a portion of anything else. This will be my inital exam and consultation, so, we will see what they have to say. I have some money set aside, and can afford some additional expense if it seems like a good decision.

When I booked this appointment, I told the woman that I was talking to that my Mom had the procedure maybe 25 years prior, and she could not believe how good her vision was. She told me that technology has advanced so much in that time, that I would not believe it! So, I'm kind of anxious to see what happens!

Wait a minute! You drove yourself to these procedures? I had to get a ride to the initial exam and consult! Don't they bandage the operative eye, and you are basically one eyed? I am becoming confused. When I booked this appointment I asked the receptionist if I could drive myself to the original exam. She said it would be better to have a ride, since they would dilate me. I asked her how long it took to recover from dilation. She said it varies. Some people take a couple of hours, some people take a couple of days!

No, I didn't mean to imply I drove myself after the proceedure. My wife drove us home. However, I was very much awake on that drive home. I was also driving myself the next day.

Left there with no bandage on the eye. The only discomfort I had was when I would blink. As long as I kept my eye close, it felt fine. This for about 8-9 hrs after.

The dialation for me last about 6-7 hours. Also, I had a well known, highly recognized doc do my eyes.

Last edited:
I've been seeing an ophthalmologist for years and they dilate my eyes each time I'm there. I've never had a problem driving home from those appointments as the dilation mainly affects near distance vision and while my eyes are more sensitive to light sunglasses worn on the way home always take care of that.

My coworker had cataract surgery done. He went with the mono lens I think. He likens it to a Brownie camera... he said if he walked into Best Buy, the signs hanging from the ceiling at different distances wouldn't all be in focus. I kind of understood his explanation but then again this was a few years ago.

You could always go mono lens in 1 eye and multi focus lens in the other.:) Would that be the best of both worlds or the worst of both worlds?

I'm now 71 and had cataract surgery in 2013. Prior to the surgery my left eye was very near sighted - much more than my right eye. The opthamologist who examined me and performed the surgery was one of the top docs in the Philadelphia area with many patients from the area professional sports teams. One of his initial comments when he examined me was - 'you can't read greens with these eyes'.

I had a Crystalens implanted in each eye. My right eye is distance dominant and my left eye is reading dominate with medium distances close to equal with both eyes. I have to add that I wasn't sure how I would react to the different vision in each eye but the adjustment was seamless. I did have PRK surgery following the cataract surgery to clear up both eyes. The surgeries were a package deal at a set price from the doc who I saw regularly until we moved to AZ. I have not worn reading or distance correction glasses since the cataract surgery. When considering the surgery I was prepared to need reading glasses but that has not been necessary. I've been in a permanent vacation (retired) status since 2015 and play golf / practice outdoors at least 6 days a week. My eyes are a little sensitive to sunlight - especially the sun we have in southern Arizona - which I was told to expect. Sunglasses are a necessity when driving or playing golf if there is no cloud cover. Night driving is good and if my eyes are tired there is a slight blurriness but nothing that is risky. I have passed all vision tests since the surgery. I'm able to focus both eyes on my computer screen which is about 30" from my desk chair.

I'm sure the procedures and lens technology has improved since 2013. I have zero regrets going through the procedures.

My coworker had cataract surgery done. He went with the mono lens I think. He likens it to a Brownie camera... he said if he walked into Best Buy, the signs hanging from the ceiling at different distances wouldn't all be in focus. I kind of understood his explanation but then again this was a few years ago.

You could always go mono lens in 1 eye and multi focus lens in the other.:) Would that be the best of both worlds or the worst of both worlds?

I don't know if i could get used to that. I had issues learning to use my progressive lenses in my glasses! But, bobver's comments are well considered. I will see what the opthalmologist recommends and whether or not I can afford it. Maybe they have a payment plan.

I had the cataract surgery about 7 years ago,... could not be happier. Before then, I had max'd out the correction for seeing my golf ball - which was now at about 150 yards -longer than that it just could not be seen. And at night I was legally blind all due to cataracts. BTW - Automobiles have Cataracts also - ever see the older cars with plastic lenses? and they are all hazed over and yellowed? That is exactly what the human cataracts are. So fast forward, over a 2 week period they replaced the lens in both my eyes... Doc asked me what vision options I wanted -- and I simply said I want to see my golf ball at 300 yards. He said ok- I think we can do that. So now at the ripe old age of 75 - I am asked by my playing partners to watch their golf ball off the Tee and can see the little white ball a long ways away.
For close up as in reading a book I use 1.25 diopter reading glasses but if it is a quick look at my phone email.. I can read it with out optical help.
Another nice thing about the surgery I did not know - is now the eye gathers much more light - no longer Night Blind - so much more light that everything is brilliant colors - the Greens and Whites are fantastic. Wow what a fantastic process and it only took 10 minutes to do.(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

I don't know if i could get used to that. I had issues learning to use my progressive lenses in my glasses! But, bobver's comments are well considered. I will see what the opthalmologist recommends and whether or not I can afford it. Maybe they have a payment plan.
With something as important as my eyesight, and potentially a very expensive process, I've done a ton of research as well as getting opinions from others. As I understand it, they don't have to go full monovision, totally distance correction in one eye and totally near vision in the other. They can "tweak" the amount of correction in one eye so that distance is still great but up close and intermediate are improved, just not "perfect" as some use of readers may be required.

As expensive as it will be, I think I am going with a newer Vivity Toric lens. It is supposed to provide great distance vision, no need for glasses at intermediate distance and only readers maybe for fine print. As compared to other multifocal lenses that use "rings" to provide that functionality, it provides much better night vision as there are no halos or glare from lights due to a different technology employed.

The only thing I dislike about this process is the limitation on how much weight can be lifted (my golf bag exceeds that limit!), and restrictions on bending over (teeing the ball up and getting it out of the cup). However, if I schedule the first eye for early January, I won't be missing too much golf with winter weather. :)

one other comment on Cataract Surgery -- most the machines that do this have the capability of videoing your operation. Mine did.. they put it on a DVD for me and you get to watch your own surgery at home and share with others. My Daughter got about 1/2 way thru watching with me as the Doc sucked out the Sonic Blasted Lens and poked holes in my Eye, She said that was the scariest movie she had ever seen., :D:D:D

I had the cataract surgery about 7 years ago,... could not be happier. Before then, I had max'd out the correction for seeing my golf ball - which was now at about 150 yards -longer than that it just could not be seen. And at night I was legally blind all due to cataracts. BTW - Automobiles have Cataracts also - ever see the older cars with plastic lenses? and they are all hazed over and yellowed? That is exactly what the human cataracts are. So fast forward, over a 2 week period they replaced the lens in both my eyes... Doc asked me what vision options I wanted -- and I simply said I want to see my golf ball at 300 yards. He said ok- I think we can do that. So now at the ripe old age of 75 - I am asked by my playing partners to watch their golf ball off the Tee and can see the little white ball a long ways away.
For close up as in reading a book I use 1.25 diopter reading glasses but if it is a quick look at my phone email.. I can read it with out optical help.
Another nice thing about the surgery I did not know - is now the eye gathers much more light - no longer Night Blind - so much more light that everything is brilliant colors - the Greens and Whites are fantastic. Wow what a fantastic process and it only took 10 minutes to do.(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

You sound like me now. I will wait on the tee while my buddy putters around. He will give me a look like, "Why haven't you teed off yet?" I will wave him out there, since I need him to be my eyes! Yes, the ball disappears about 150 yards out!

With something as important as my eyesight, and potentially a very expensive process, I've done a ton of research as well as getting opinions from others. As I understand it, they don't have to go full monovision, totally distance correction in one eye and totally near vision in the other. They can "tweak" the amount of correction in one eye so that distance is still great but up close and intermediate are improved, just not "perfect" as some use of readers may be required.

As expensive as it will be, I think I am going with a newer Vivity Toric lens. It is supposed to provide great distance vision, no need for glasses at intermediate distance and only readers maybe for fine print. As compared to other multifocal lenses that use "rings" to provide that functionality, it provides much better night vision as there are no halos or glare from lights due to a different technology employed.

The only thing I dislike about this process is the limitation on how much weight can be lifted (my golf bag exceeds that limit!), and restrictions on bending over (teeing the ball up and getting it out of the cup). However, if I schedule the first eye for early January, I won't be missing too much golf with winter weather. :)

Thank you for this post! I am writing down the part I highlighted, and if the opthalmologist doesn't mention them I will ask about them. Didn't know there were restrictions on lifting weight, or bending over. The lifting weight part might not be a problem, but I have a veggie garden, and I golf. Both require a lot of bending.

And from what I understand is if I go total monofocal distance, Medicare will pay for the whole thing. I'm retired. If I choose another options, Medicare will pay for part of it if I choose another route. And the way this Winter is going, I won't be playing golf for quite some time!

one other comment on Cataract Surgery -- most the machines that do this have the capability of videoing your operation. Mine did.. they put it on a DVD for me and you get to watch your own surgery at home and share with others. My Daughter got about 1/2 way thru watching with me as the Doc sucked out the Sonic Blasted Lens and poked holes in my Eye, She said that was the scariest movie she had ever seen., :D:D:D

Haw!:LOL: The ultimate in reality TV! Live surgery! There used to be a cable channel that did this. I don't think they're around any more. Maybe you can find something on YouTube, like open heart surgery! Get her to watch that!

Thank you for this post! I am writing down the part I highlighted, and if the opthalmologist doesn't mention them I will ask about them. Didn't know there were restrictions on lifting weight, or bending over. The lifting weight part might not be a problem, but I have a veggie garden, and I golf. Both require a lot of bending.

And from what I understand is if I go total monofocal distance, Medicare will pay for the whole thing. I'm retired. If I choose another options, Medicare will pay for part of it if I choose another route. And the way this Winter is going, I won't be playing golf for quite some time!
The restrictions on how much weight you can lift and the bending over are not permanent restrictions, only for a brief time while the eyes are healing. My surgeon said I could go back out on the course probably 3-4 days after each surgery, but I have to double check with him if that is too soon regarding the lifting and bending as that would mostly affect getting the clubs out of the trunk and bending over to retrieve the ball from the hole. I could see teeing up the ball without bending over such that my head is not below my waist, their definition of bending over.

You are correct. The surgery itself, traditional manual or even laser assisted (I believe) is covered by Medicare along with monofocal lenses as cataracts are considered a medical condition and the surgery a medical procedure. Anything beyond that, even monofocal Toric lenses which correct astigmatism are not covered, nor are any "multifocal" lenses as now you are talking enhancements going beyond the medical necessity. Toric and multifocal lenses are often referred to as "premium" lenses.

Watching this thread closely because I am also considering surgery sometime in the not to distant future.My problem is I only have 1 good eye! I am legally blind and have been since birth in the other. So I am terrified of "something happening" to my good eye .The "good eye "needs glasses for distance viewing but with correction is 20/20. In the bad eye, I can see objects and maybe could see enough to move around a room if I had too, but can't distinguish people etc.I can actually follow my golf ball as well as my playing partners usually,depending on lighting and sky conditions. I was told about 1 1/2 years ago that I had cateracts but they were not real bad then. Due to Covid and frankly being chicken of the surgery,I haven't went back and had them checked since.I do notice a little more problem driving at night with glare.

My boss had multifocal lenses put in last year and loves the result.

The restrictions on how much weight you can lift and the bending over are not permanent restrictions, only for a brief time while the eyes are healing. My surgeon said I could go back out on the course probably 3-4 days after each surgery, but I have to double check with him if that is too soon regarding the lifting and bending as that would mostly affect getting the clubs out of the trunk and bending over to retrieve the ball from the hole. I could see teeing up the ball without bending over such that my head is not below my waist, their definition of bending over.

You are correct. The surgery itself, traditional manual or even laser assisted (I believe) is covered by Medicare along with monofocal lenses as cataracts are considered a medical condition and the surgery a medical procedure. Anything beyond that, even monofocal Toric lenses which correct astigmatism are not covered, nor are any "multifocal" lenses as now you are talking enhancements going beyond the medical necessity. Toric and multifocal lenses are often referred to as "premium" lenses.

Time to get one of those little suction cup things for the top of your putter for the few days while you recover :ROFLMAO:

Time to get one of those little suction cup things for the top of your putter for the few days while you recover :ROFLMAO:
I was/am seriously considering that before you even suggested it! Maybe if I took the clubs out of the bag the bag would fall under the weight limit so I could lift it onto the cart, then put the clubs back in one-by-one. Then reverse the process when the round is over! :D

Well, when I called to make my appointment was almost 2 months ago! They informed me that they were in their end of year crunch! So, I made the appointment for my inital exam and consult, and they told me that they probably couldn't do the procedure until after the first of the year. Well, I'm in NE Ohio, and that's the dead of Winter! I should be well recovered by the time we can swing the sticks.

Watching this thread closely because I am also considering surgery sometime in the not to distant future.My problem is I only have 1 good eye! I am legally blind and have been since birth in the other. So I am terrified of "something happening" to my good eye .The "good eye "needs glasses for distance viewing but with correction is 20/20. In the bad eye, I can see objects and maybe could see enough to move around a room if I had too, but can't distinguish people etc.I can actually follow my golf ball as well as my playing partners usually,depending on lighting and sky conditions. I was told about 1 1/2 years ago that I had cateracts but they were not real bad then. Due to Covid and frankly being chicken of the surgery,I haven't went back and had them checked since.I do notice a little more problem driving at night with glare.

As bad as the cataract is in my right eye, I sometimes feel the same way! And the driving at night question on the paper I filled out at the optometrist was what clued him in to my cataracts! The things is, if I am driving in town, with streetlights, and well lined streets, I am fine! But, if I'm out in the country, facing a long drive on an unlit road that is poorly lined, I will have trouble! Especially if a newer vehicle is coming toward me. Have you noticed the latest? That when you turn on your turn signal, either left or right, that the headlight on that side of the vehicle turns off! WHY? My estimation is that it's because the headlight has become too bright, for oncoming motorists to notice the turn signal! I think that this is an issue that should be addressed!

Last edited:
I just knew THP would have a thread on this. We've been watching my cataracts for years - I was born with scads of tiny cataracts in each eye. The doc describes it as a glitter bomb went off in my lens when she puts the light on it. Had my first eye exam in over three years and she said it's time. Recommended two docs for the procedure, and when they called the offices to make an appointment, the closer doc didn't answer. The doc farther away had a cancellation minutes before we called, so my consultation is this coming Monday. All of the posts here were quite helpful. Time for more research.

Well here is my update

For the past several months I have been being treated for a hereditary issue in both eyes. This is something that showed up after my cataracts surgeries.

About 3 months ago my clear vision started becoming blurry. I thought it was because of my current eye treatments. Turned out to be left over scar tissue behind my installed lenses.

Although uncommon, some cataracts patients develope this scar tissue. I am just unlucky. The fix is a quick lazer zap to remove the scar tissue.

Problem is I couldn't have the lazer zap done while getting my current eye treatments.

Yesterday my eye doc said he was going to make an exception for me, and allow the lazer treatments to take place. This even though I still have 3-4 months of current eye treatments still a head of me.

Now it's just a matter of time, waiting on the referrals, and VA insurance to agree for the lazer treatments. I have been assured my eye sight issues are fixable.

Until then my golf game will suffer, since I can't see ball flights much past 70 yards. Since I can't see where the ball lands, I'm acquiring several lost ball penalty strokes per round. My approach game from 120 - 130 yards is still pretty good.

I have adapted my game to help with fewer lost balls, but I have gave up quite a bit of distance. About 25% off the tee with my longer clubs I estimate..

I had cataract surgery on my right eye 16 days ago and will have surgery on the left eye in 3 weeks. I needed sunglasses for three days and a check up the next day with the surgeon and given eye drops for a month.

About 3 months ago my clear vision started becoming blurry. I thought it was because of my current eye treatments. Turned out to be left over scar tissue behind my installed lenses.
Whether it is scar tissue or the accumulation of epithelial cells after the surgery, it is often referred to as secondary cataracts, which it really isn't. Yes, apparently it is a simple procedure to use what is called a YAG laser to open a hole through what is blocking the light and restore clear vision. I even think it can be done right in the ophthalmologist's office if they have the equipment.

Good luck with your current treatment and I hope the YAG laser treatment gets approved, and your clear vision restored quickly. Other than needing readers for fine print, it is the best vision I think I've experienced in my life. Something you have to look forward to!

Back