Caves Valley - Owings Mills, MD

pmoa

Always Ponderin'
Reaction score
Handicap
Caves Valley 10/27/2012

The course is a private course in Owings Mills Maryland. It has been the site of the US Mens Senior Open and a few mid amateur championships. The course features a design by Tom Fazio and it is an exclusively member owned golf course. We got to play here for our company's Executive Golf Challenge where the young guys are playing company execs annually for a trophy. The company president is a member here and we were invited to play. We even saw Mayor Bloomberg of NYC helicoptered in to play. Yes, this place has its own helicopter landing pad. Many Baltimore Ravens and Baltimore Orioles play here and are members, but none more famous than Brooks Robinson that lives in a house on the course.

From the drive up from the entrance I was greeted by a security guard asking for my name and I was on my way. The clubhouse is absolutely beautiful and a slew of caddies are lined up out back to greet you at the bag drop. I didnt think courses like this existed in Maryland. I thought Bulle Rock was the premier course in MD. Boy was I mistaken. Bulle Rock is a fine course, but the exclusivity of Caves Valley just puts it over the top. The course plays up to 7000 yards from the tips and we played from the white tees playing 6300 yards. It was more than fair from the tee, but target golf is a must! The greens were immaculate and were double rolled the morning of our event. I have no idea how fast they are but, they were faster than anything I've ever putted, even compared to Pebble!

I will do a full hole-by-hole run through in a bit. Just wanted to get this review started. There won't be any pics as there was a strict no cell phone policy out on the course being enforced by the members and our company president.

Back