bgammill

Reaction score
Handicap
I just saw Kelly Tillman of CBS post on her twitter account that CBS ratings for the AT&T this year were up 96%!!! That's crazy and to think Tiger an Phil don't do as much for the game as they one did.

Thoughts? I just think the number is crazy!

Tapaway!

I did not expect a jump that big but I can't say that I am all that surprised. It was very entertaining that's for sure.

not sure what you're saying about tiger and phil?

Seems to me like they did quite a bit for it.

Goes to show you who moves the needle

Not shocked, but a bit surprised that the % is that high. That is moving the numbers for sure.

That's the Eldrick factor right there. 96% is a lot more than I expected.

Saw a little about this, it was a good combo overall I think, Tiger for the casual golfer and Phil for fans who are more into golf and know more of his backstory.

It is an iconic golf course and setting; plus some of the best golfers in the world battling for the win...not that surprised.

96% is an awful high number, but I am not surprised to see a sizable increase in viewers. I do however think the CBS coverage was somewhat lacking a bit. They came back from commercial at one time and showed one iron shot and one putt, and went right back to commercial. That's kind of ghetto if you ask me. But than again, I am not the one trying to pay the bills.

96% is a HUGE number.
Bet there were some very happy advertisers!
I DVR it and skip by them most often.
I did watch it live on Sunday this week. Guess I'm one of the 96%
Happy to see Phil win, and sorry to see Tiger stabbing at it with the putter like that.
I had both going in my fantasy team.

Make no mistake, a big part of that is Mr. Woods back in action and on top of the leaderboard. Golf has missed him this last year.

Clearly Romo draws ratings

Just goes to show you what Mickelson and Woods in contention do for tournaments. Either that or everyone was tuning in to see DJ.

John Deere Tap'n...

96% is an awful high number, but I am not surprised to see a sizable increase in viewers. I do however think the CBS coverage was somewhat lacking a bit. They came back from commercial at one time and showed one iron shot and one putt, and went right back to commercial. That's kind of ghetto if you ask me. But than again, I am not the one trying to pay the bills.

I was watching online and it had a sky sports stream. They are a lot better than CBS imo, a lot less commercials. When CBS goes to commercial they generally go to the studio and talk about various golfers and their swings which is interesting.

Plus they get the cbs coverage right away instead of having to wait for a basketball game to end. Although I'm not sure why the golf network and cbs always have a 30 min gap between coverages

not sure what you're saying about tiger and phil?

Seems to me like they did quite a bit for it.

I've read a lot, not just on here, about how golf is going away from the two of them and more towards the younger players. Just saying they are still a huge impact on the game.

Tapaway!

Although I'm not sure why the golf network and cbs always have a 30 min gap between coverages
I'd like to know, too. I can understand why cbs or nbc wouldn't want to start until 3, but it looks like golf channel would love an extra 30 min of coverage, or at least start 30 min later to get rid of the gap.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

We missed much of it in the Pacific Northwest. A boring ugly Big 10 basketball matchup between Michigan and Illinois ran long. We didn't join the coverage until Tiger had already started falling apart. The excitement and hope of a slug match between Tiger and Phil was already out of the cards. I assumed the same thing happened nationwide since they wouldn't just broadcast a Big 10 game to us. I still watched it until my Huskies Vs. Beavers game started at 2:30PM(another brutal game).

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why you see every shot if either Tiger or Phil is playing that week (even if not at the top of the pack).

It is an iconic golf course and setting; plus some of the best golfers in the world battling for the win...not that surprised.

96% over last year at the same golf courses and setting...which means it's only the players and storylines making a difference.

Tigger + Phil = everyone watching. I can't say I'm surprised.

Tigger + Phil = everyone watching. I can't say I'm surprised.

Not sure Phil brings all that many viewers to be honest. Now it did help that they were playing in the same group. But this is the Tiger effect IMO

Yeah, even though it's not the first time and just kind of how things are with cbs broadcasts, the coverage gap is still really annoying. golf channel had coverage until 1:30 central time, then because illinois kept fouling to stop the clock and dragged out the michigan game even though they were down 10, There wasn't golf coverage for another 40 minutes (came on cbs about 2:20 central time).

I understand it on a variety of levels, but it's still kind of absurd.

You mean the Phil factor, dont you Smallie?
I wish, but while I think he helped, the majority of people tuned in for the other guy.

Not sure Phil brings all that many viewers to be honest. Now it did help that they were playing in the same group. But this is the Tiger effect IMO

I was curious about the "Phil" effect, so I looked back in the archives of SportsMediaWatch.com, and here is the ratings bump at the Shell Houston Open for 2011 (when Phil won) compared to 2010. Obviously not an apples to apples comparison, but probably a good example since Tiger was not in that field.

"The good times continued this past weekend, as final round coverage of the Shell Houston Open drew a 2.8 overnight on NBC, up 33% from last year."

Back