Cconcerned With Distance Only

SeeMoreGuy

They Make 'em. I Buy 'em.
Reaction score
Today I was hitting some clubs at a local golf store when a salesman asked if I had hit the Adams CB 3 irons. Never one to turn down a club that could give more distance I gave them a go. Started hitting the 6 iron and was flicking it 170 to 180 with roll out to 198 and even had one go 207.

Now for me this was something I had not experienced. After a few minutes a couple more sales people gathered around to talk about how good these clubs were and I couldn't disagree with the distances. Now I wanted them badly. The sales people were pointing out the distances and were saying my spin rates were in the 2500 range. I got so caught up in the how far the ball was going I couldn't care about rate. Told them to wrap up the sticks and I would be back to do a comparison on some clubs I was thinking about getting rid of.

Came back and did a test which is in the below chart and looked at the numbers and realized the long shots I was hitting was because of the low spin rate. Spoke to another guy who said although I hit it well the ball wouldn't stay on the green due to the spin rate. That nearly settled it for me.

The Adams I was hitting was were KBS stiff and I don't use stiff. The two Mizunos in the test are stock graphite which is my shaft of choice. Will prob go back and Hit Adams with KBS Reg just to see but doubt its going to change my mind. Sometimes you already have is what you need. At least I did in this case.

I posted this long winded rant to simply say I forgot to look at all the numbers and consider why I was hitting out of my normal range and distance. I hit ten shots with each and took the best five. Usually I have to drop some coin to to feel.satisfied when I visit the golf store. Not tonight.

For what is worth here is the LM details.

tupe2avu.jpg

TapAhoy!

When hitting any club, go off of carry only. Roll is way too much of a variable you have no control over. If it rains for 2 days straight, you're getting 0 roll. But if you're flying a 6i 180 yards, that number you can count on unless you just mishit it. Same with a driver. I don't care if I hit it 300yds on their simulator if it says I'm only carrying it 250yds, cause there's no chance I'm going to get 50yds of rollout.

This is why OEM's sell distance. How many people would have the discipline to go back and take a second look like you did? Not many.

You said CB3 in your comment and I'm seeing V3 on the LM. Hitting a hybrid iron would produce results of that nature. Nice 6i :)

I must have mistyped. It was CB3

TapAhoy!

good for you for going back and testing against you own sticks. I'd still hit the reg shafts just for fun and to see how the numbers compare.

Keith, I find it remarkable that you managed to add a full 5 degrees to your launch angle and regardless of spin, hit it that much further. Really interesting.

Plan on it golfinFF.

Going back and looking at these numbers I too found it interesting that I hit the Adams with a stiff shaft higher than the others as well. Now Im really interested to see what the Regular shaft does.

Going back and looking at these numbers I too found it interesting that I hit the Adams with a stiff shaft higher than the others as well. Now Im really interested to see what the Regular shaft does.

What was working so well with the JPX irons? A full 6mph faster on average over the CB3's as well.

I am quite sure part of it was the JPX were regular graphite shafts and the Adams was KBS regular. The Mizuno 200's had identical shafts as the JPX but are forged which could explain some of the distance loss. Also, the weight of the JPX feels heavier than the 200's but similar to the Adams.

Interesting. Glad you didn't go with the impulse buy. Let us know if the regs work out.

I would never buy anything based only on info from some electronic device inside. The stores are geared to sell. Often there is a big difference between hitting on a monitor in a store and live outside. I take everything with a grain of salt when it comes to numbers in a store that is geared for nothing but selling.

I would never buy anything based only on info from some electronic device inside. The stores are geared to sell. Often there is a big difference between hitting on a monitor in a store and live outside. I take everything with a grain of salt when it comes to numbers in a store that is geared for nothing but selling.

While normally I would agree with you, in this case SMG probably has some real good data to go off of since he compared known quantities in his existing clubs. Even if they've jacked up the distances, the comparisons between clubs should still be valid.

The point people all OVER these threads are missing with irons in real-life vs on launch monitors is that in real-life, you're just not going to get a bunch of roll!!! It might hit and rollout 15-20 feet on an elevated green if you hit a 3-4-5, but not a seven iron. I've seen so many posts that say something about an iron landing 160 and rollout to 180, etc. Not gonna happen. When fitting for an iron on a launch monitor, indoors, the settings might have to be changed.

Good thinking to grab your clubs and compare. I think a lot of people have the problem of only getting caught up on distance without taking all the other factors into play

Distance is the big elixir and really draws us all in. The carry you were seeing is great for a 6i. The roll is a joke, IMO. I've never seen that much role on a 6 iron. Going back to compare is something most would not do and I'm
Glad you did.

While normally I would agree with you, in this case SMG probably has some real good data to go off of since he compared known quantities in his existing clubs. Even if they've jacked up the distances, the comparisons between clubs should still be valid.

I see what your saying and don't totally disagree. My point though really is that clubs should not be bought in my opinion, in a lot of cases soley based on indoor monitor numbers. If I can't hit it outside, I won't buy it.

I see what your saying and don't totally disagree. My point though really is that clubs should not be bought in my opinion, in a lot of cases soley based on indoor monitor numbers. If I can't hit it outside, I won't buy it.

I don't disagree with you either, but the opportunities to demo clubs outside or on the course aren't always available to everyone (short of attending the Ultimate Weekend of Golf - the THP Outing). Even hitting them outside may not have properly told the spin number story SMG saw here unless he was hitting them outside with a monitor too.

Distance is the big elixir and really draws us all in. The carry you were seeing is great for a 6i. The roll is a joke, IMO. I've never seen that much role on a 6 iron. Going back to compare is something most would not do and I'm
Glad you did.

Marketing has everything geared towards distance. The truth is though that most of us will never ever hit the ball as far as the world class professionals, but if your in business to sell, you have to push the clubs somehow.

I would love a few more yards if it can be gained without the loss of accuracy. If you look at my sig, you can see my bag is full of clubs that may not be the longest, but they are accurate.

really great thread SMG.... i am so excited about getting my full fitting this year for all of my clubs in the bag. really looking forward to learning even more about what all the numbers mean as well.

I don't disagree with you either, but the opportunities to demo clubs outside or on the course aren't always available to everyone (short of attending the Ultimate Weekend of Golf - the THP Outing). Even hitting them outside may not have properly told the spin number story SMG saw here unless he was hitting them outside with a monitor too.

You are correct. That is the thing I hate about most golf stores. I'm lucky to have a store close by that has the latest monitor equipment inside and a range right out back. I'm also lucky to have a custom golf shop close where I can get on a monitor inside with my current clubs, see the numbers, hit outside as well if you want and get everything checked (loft/lie etc) with no pressure to buy anything. It comes down to whether or not you can trust the people and the machine.

This is exactly why I went with the GS95 TT shafts in my new Cally's. My descent rate was poor on my current irons and I was getting too much roll out.

Distance is awesome, but it's not the only thing. Those are still some solid 6 irons dude!

Good for you for going back and testing your current clubs to make sure. I am in the process of changing irons and it has taken me over a year to decide what I want and if these clubs were better for me. I hit every iron possible both CB and forged, some even a couple different times. Several times I had to resist the urge to just say, " I will take these". I give you a lot of credit for doing your homework!

Back