CDGA and Illinois Mid-Am Championship

B81Smith

Hit Bombs!
Reaction score
Handicap
I used to belong to a little semi private club out in the boon docks. It was Indian Oaks CC in Shabbona IL. A 9 holer that was well maintained, had a nice layout and the membership was awesome in terms of outings, events, competitions between clubs, etc. It was great. But as time went on it became more expensive, out of my budget and to add it took about 50 minutes to drive there - so quick 9's were out of the question. It had nice practice facilities with a range, short game area with bunker, 3-4 pins on several tiers with the ability to walk off at least 100 yards to work on all things short game plus a separate putting green. I was competitive at the club for a long time but its been some time since I've competed in things so I've signed up and paid for 2 qualifiers this year. The first is May 1st at Fox Bend GC in Oswego IL for the 5th annual Chicago District Golf Association Mid-Am Championship. The second qualifier is for the 27th Illinois Mid-Am Championship. The qualifier I signed up for is held on August 6th at Balmoral Woods CC in Crete IL.
These are big time tourneys for me. I'll be up against a steep field I think to qualify for these. I hope to shoot something in the low 70's but figure maybe a score around 74 or less should give me a good chance. The Mid in mid am's refers to an age restriction on the field. I had to google this LOL but basically a regular tourney is open to all to qualify and a Mid AM is open to anyone over a certain age in this case its 25 - this eliminates anyone in HS or College who have nothing else to do besides play golf. So everyone should have a life, a job, bills, etc. I'm realistic in terms of requesting the days off for the qualifiers but not the tournament dates yet LOL. I figure if I make it in I'll ask at that time.
I've dedicated a lot of time to hitting balls into a net, working with the super speed system to up my swing speed back to what it was, working on putting on a carpet that I stimped at 9.5, going to the ranges on the weekends and just bought a shot scope v2 to improve areas of weakness. I'd love to start tracking stats and be able to look at them through the year.
I really need some new equipment but that can wait until xmas time when club champion does the 50% off fittings, and I've been saving 50/week the entire year to gather up about 2600 to get properly fit and take everything to the next level. I'm playing with irons I got in 2005! Putter, wedges, woods are not fit for me. I'm giving up major yards with driver and fairway wood. Hybrid goes well but not as consistent as I'd like, 4 iron really sucks (butter knife), etc. Just want a bag I like through and through knowing its all spot on fit for me.
Anyhow those are the goals - make it into those championships - play my game and hopefully raise it back to what it used to be

Great goals and good luck!

Thank you. Yea I'll definitely need a little luck. Playing 5/1 worries me. Haven't played a single round yet. Grass really hasn't filled in yet so I'm expecting lots of bare lies, lots of clumpy muddy messes, issues with bare lies around the green worry me the most. I've been chipping around Orchard Valley in Aurora and playing the balls down so I'll be ready when I get one of those nearly bare mud lies you have to catch absolutely perfect or get a skull/chunk result.

Driving by Fox Bend it looks to be in decent shape for so early. I can ask one of the ground crew guys that goes to my church to see how it's filling in. Indian Oaks is a fun little track about 15 mins from my house. Have you looked into Blackberry Oaks for training facilities? They have done alot of improvements and have a new short game training area although I believe it's a paid access area.

Great stuff! Are you looking at the Illinois Open at all? That's a great one to get into. You need to be a 10 handicap or better to try and qualify. I'll be playing in one of those qualifiers in June.

https://ilpga.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/ilpga18/schedule/illinoisopen/index.htm

Also, the northshore amateur is going to be played at Sunset Valley. Great tournament and I find better run than the CDGA tournaments.
http://www.sunsetvalleygolfclub.org/course_tournaments/

The I80 amateur is fun too! http://www.golfsanctuary.com/i-80am/

I like most of the non-cdga tournaments as those are usually on the expensive side and usually only one day

Joliet Amateur is another to check out!!

Good luck this summer!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Driving by Fox Bend it looks to be in decent shape for so early. I can ask one of the ground crew guys that goes to my church to see how it's filling in. Indian Oaks is a fun little track about 15 mins from my house. Have you looked into Blackberry Oaks for training facilities? They have done alot of improvements and have a new short game training area although I believe it's a paid access area.
Yea I'll have to check out Blackberry. I've played a ton there but zero rounds last year there. I haven't been in a long while so I'll have to stop by to check it out. Mill Creek was my go to practice area but they're closed this entire 2019 season I think.

Great stuff! Are you looking at the Illinois Open at all? That's a great one to get into. You need to be a 10 handicap or better to try and qualify. I'll be playing in one of those qualifiers in June.

https://ilpga.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/ilpga18/schedule/illinoisopen/index.htm

Also, the northshore amateur is going to be played at Sunset Valley. Great tournament and I find better run than the CDGA tournaments.
https://www.sunsetvalleygolfclub.org/course_tournaments/

The I80 amateur is fun too! https://www.golfsanctuary.com/i-80am/

I like most of the non-cdga tournaments as those are usually on the expensive side and usually only one day

Joliet Amateur is another to check out!!

Good luck this summer!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Wow, yea wish I knew all that before signing up and paying! LOL. Yea 155/qualifier is steep and all I can handle. I'd say maybe next year I'll check those others out because I'd love to compete more but being this is my first foray into the world of serious competitive golf I'll do 2 and see. I can play but I'm streaky so I can shoot 67 one day and 85 the next hahaha. Just goes with being married to an unforgiving wife who happens to be sick on top of things. Money's always tight too. So I'll really look harder next year to play in more tourneys'.
I'll have to somehow mark this thread so I can come back and check those tournaments out.

My connection at Fox bend said the course is coming in nicely and should be in really good shape for the May tournament. Grass is growing and the warmer weather this week would really see it take off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sad to say I failed to qualify. It got postponed until 5/8 and on a wet, windy day with fast greens my putter completely left me. 35 putts to a 83! After being 6 over after 6 I was pretty much toast. Fought back a little but couldn't keep it going and just sucked the whole day. Better luck next time! The cut was 79! so it was a hard day for all. Lowest score was 73.

sad to say I failed to qualify. It got postponed until 5/8 and on a wet, windy day with fast greens my putter completely left me. 35 putts to a 83! After being 6 over after 6 I was pretty much toast. Fought back a little but couldn't keep it going and just sucked the whole day. Better luck next time! The cut was 79! so it was a hard day for all. Lowest score was 73.

Well, that sucks, but I'm sure the experience will help you going forward.

~Rock

My connection at Fox bend said the course is coming in nicely and should be in really good shape for the May tournament. Grass is growing and the warmer weather this week would really see it take off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nice. drive by that one alot

Back