Cell Phones: Android edition

baylrballa

2024 WWGC Food and Drink Champion
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
>10
What's out there and what are you using?

previously have stayed in the galaxy/pixel lines.

I’m on the iPhone cycle, but I love the Google phones. The Samsung Galaxy S21 is supposed to have a great camera, but I haven’t actually tried it.

I'm going on year 4 with my old trusty Galaxy S9.

Won't replace until it breaks.

I have been using Galaxy 20
I love the quality of pictures it take, also has super slo motion for swing analysis.
dd3b2a5686c4e1d2e9cce824b67e782d.jpg
91b823f1593e40d64b5e7bdb78910355.jpg

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

I'm on year 3 of the Pixel 2 XL and I still like it. The battery is becoming less reliable by the day, but the phone still performs well. Was looking at upgrading to an iPhone (gasp!!), but I hate paying full price for a premier phone especially when we're likely upgrading 2 phones at once.

have been using Galaxy 20
I love the quality of pictures it take, also has super slo motion for swing analysis
c829ee4f0341264710664c347c85ed5d.jpg
23469f9500cd630bfda9eb6934515e7c.jpg

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

I'm on year 3 of the Pixel 2 XL and I still like it. The battery is becoming less reliable by the day, but the phone still performs well. Was looking at upgrading to an iPhone (gasp!!), but I hate paying full price for a premier phone especially when we're likely upgrading 2 phones at once.

I've had nothing but love for my pixel 4 for the past 1.5 years, but seems to have bricked this morning. :confused:

I just got the Galaxy S21 Ultra in January. It is amazing. Takes amazing photos, has 120x zoom on the camera which we have actually used a few times. Plenty of power and brought me to 5G which is fairly good around Louisville.

We moved to iThings four years ago... hah... four years ago tomorrow, looks like :), so I cannot say for sure, except I would look at whatever yields the most un-polluted Android experience (probably Pixel) and you couldn't pay me to use a Samsung mobile device.

Was looking at upgrading to an iPhone (gasp!!), but I hate paying full price for a premier phone especially when we're likely upgrading 2 phones at once.
You probably don't have to. For one: If you're military or a veteran you can get a direct-from-Apple discount. And they take trade-ins even of some competing products. There's also Apple's refurbished devices, sold directly by Apple. Lastly: There's Swappa. I bought my wife's first iPhone and my first Apple Watch off Swappa. My wife's phone was essentially BNIB. My watch was LNIB. Both her phone and my watch still had a year left on their Apple warranties.

We moved to iThings four years ago... hah... four years ago tomorrow, looks like :), so I cannot say for sure, except I would look at whatever yields the most un-polluted Android experience (probably Pixel) and you couldn't pay me to use a Samsung mobile device.

You probably don't have to. For one: If you're military or a veteran you can get a direct-from-Apple discount. And they take trade-ins even of some competing products. There's also Apple's refurbished devices, sold directly by Apple. Lastly: There's Swappa. I bought my wife's first iPhone and my first Apple Watch off Swappa. My wife's phone was essentially BNIB. My watch was LNIB. Both her phone and my watch still had a year left on their Apple warranties.
What's wrong with Samsung mobile devices? I'm on the iPhone standard so nothing outside of curiousity.

What's wrong with Samsung mobile devices? I'm on the iPhone standard so nothing outside of curiousity.
In short: IMO Samsung has execrable privacy policies, has a horrible track record wrt device security, and they mangle the Android platform. They make great hardware (except for their appliances--run away from those as fast as you can), but, IMO, pretty much everything else about them is terrible.

I have a Pixel 3, but once the 6 comes out I'm going to upgrade to that. I like their UI that's not loaded with extra bloatwear like Apple and Samsung phones. Plus, their camera is the best. I just really need a good camera and storage, I don't use my phone for games, just work, some social media and a few tv/sports apps.

I have the Galaxy S10+ but am looking at the 21 to upgrade soon. Camera looks awesome. That being said I used my phone exclusively for honeymoon pics last year in Hawaii and the quality is great.

I have the Galaxy S10+ but am looking at the 21 to upgrade soon. Camera looks awesome. That being said I used my phone exclusively for honeymoon pics last year in Hawaii and the quality is great.
I had the opposite experience with Samsung. I briefly tried the Note 10. The reviews of the camera were great, so I decided to try it out on a trip overseas. I returned the phone as soon as I got home. The image quality was terrible. It was over processed garbage that looked good on the phone, but upon closer inspection it was riddled with noise reduction that almost looked as if it had been water-painted.

I'm guessing the S10+ uses different software, but I'll never touch a Samsung phone again

First time switch to Samsung as well, plunked for the A71 5G model, still has 4 rear with max camera of 64mp.

Still learning the camera and how to maximize pictures but storage, camera are big winners over North Korea of phones (Apple)

20210331_193410.jpg

I had the opposite experience with Samsung. I briefly tried the Note 10. The reviews of the camera were great, so I decided to try it out on a trip overseas. I returned the phone as soon as I got home. The image quality was terrible. It was over processed garbage that looked good on the phone, but upon closer inspection it was riddled with noise reduction that almost looked as if it had been water-painted.

I'm guessing the S10+ uses different software, but I'll never touch a Samsung phone again
Can't judge the brand from one bad experience!

We're a Samsung family. Personal phone is Note10 Ultra, work is S9+. Been looking to upgrade the Note for a while, but missed out on the deals when the 20 released, and haven't found a good enough reason to upgrade since. Hard to go away from the S Pen once you get used to using it a lot, and the S21 is capable, but without it being built in that's basically pointless. I've never had a bad experience with any of my Galaxy phones, but wife upgraded to the one that exploded or melted or whatever and that wasn't awesome for her. Mostly because she loved it and didn't want to turn it back in. :LOL:

I'm on a Pixel 4XL right now. I had to upgrade last August when my 3XL got run over. If the 6 is out August 2022, I'll be having one of those on the GoogleFi network.

Google phones are great, had the 2xl and 4a. I will say their screens are pretty fragile compared to other devises IMO.
Work just sent me a samsung s10 yesterday since my 4a screen went dark.
Patiently waiting for the new Pixel.

I have the galaxy s20 and absolutely love it. Great camera and great performance for me. I have always been interested in the google phones but haven't tried one yet, so stick with Samsung.

Ugh, really could not wait even a day or two for a new phone, so ended up with a galaxy S20 FE 5G as a placeholder since it was on sale. already regretting it.

hate everything about setting up a new phone, been downloading crap from the cloud, doing system updates and changing settings for hours just to make it functional.

Ugh, really could not wait even a day or two for a new phone, so ended up with a galaxy S20 FE 5G as a placeholder since it was on sale. already regretting it.

hate everything about setting up a new phone, been downloading crap from the cloud, doing system updates and changing settings for hours just to make it functional.
Ugh. This has kept me from pulling the trigger too. Even it's the same brand and platform, it takes days of this before it's stops constantly pissing me off.

Back