Cell Phones: Android edition

Can't judge the brand from one bad experience!
They make nice hardware, but I can't stand TouchWiz, and the camera was not anywhere near acceptable to me. I used to used Galaxy phones before I went to Pixel, and had good experiences, but that last experience (when compared to a Pixel) will have me never going back.

I really love the One Plus phones. I have an iPhone right now, but before that I had a One Plus 7+ and a One Plus 8. Both were excellent, and they are usually 50% the cost of a Samsung with similar specs and none of the bloatware.

Have a Galaxy S10+ no complaints here, camera is great and does everything I need it to do. Won't upgrade to the S21 but probably will with the next release of their new phone.

I just ordered a new phone. I won’t update my software once I get one. My banking app doesn’t work with my software which was quite embarrassing today in a situation where I needed to prove to a lender my finances right damn then. Time to upgrade.

I did get about 4 years out of this iPhone. I only paid $360 (no trade in, no one is getting any of my old phones ever-not that I have anything much to hide, but I am a fairly private person, y’all don’t believe it but I share little outside of here) for the next one. Woo. That’s special ordering the 256gb model so I don’t worry about stupid things on it. My bill only went down about 15 a month going prepaid with my new phone only raising it whatever 24 divided by $360 is, $12.00? Ok.

They’ll figure out a way to tack that on anyways. Might as well have a phone that fully functions again for a couple years.

It’s a damn tool for me. That’s all. More fun than most but a tool. I need it to do certain things. I can either have the phone die in 3 years by battery failure or I can get 4-5 years until something I need to work doesn’t. Not being able to access my banking details? Time to upgrade.

Done. Monday. I don’t look forward to tools but, but it’ll be nice see my bank account again. I have a general idea of what’s in there but no absolutes unless I drive 10 miles each way to a branch. Not super important today but could be tomorrow or beyond?

In short: IMO Samsung has execrable privacy policies, has a horrible track record wrt device security, and they mangle the Android platform. They make great hardware (except for their appliances--run away from those as fast as you can), but, IMO, pretty much everything else about them is terrible.

Honest review. I respect that. I haven't had an android phone since the iphone 4 came out... I did miss free ringtones for a while... free ringtones of music... not the crap people make on garageband or whatever it is they use. Now I'm older and care less.:ROFLMAO:

I just ordered a new phone. I won’t update my software once I get one. My banking app doesn’t work with my software which was quite embarrassing today in a situation where I needed to prove to a lender my finances right damn then. Time to upgrade.

I did get about 4 years out of this iPhone. I only paid $360 (no trade in, no one is getting any of my old phones ever-not that I have anything much to hide, but I am a fairly private person, y’all don’t believe it but I share little outside of here) for the next one. Woo. That’s special ordering the 256gb model so I don’t worry about stupid things on it. My bill only went down about 15 a month going prepaid with my new phone only raising it whatever 24 divided by $360 is, $12.00? Ok.

They’ll figure out a way to tack that on anyways. Might as well have a phone that fully functions again for a couple years.

It’s a damn tool for me. That’s all. More fun than most but a tool. I need it to do certain things. I can either have the phone die in 3 years by battery failure or I can get 4-5 years until something I need to work doesn’t. Not being able to access my banking details? Time to upgrade.

Done. Monday. I don’t look forward to tools but, but it’ll be nice see my bank account again. I have a general idea of what’s in there but no absolutes unless I drive 10 miles each way to a branch. Not super important today but could be tomorrow or beyond?
It's a tool is right. And that tool will #1. Show me pr0n. --> golf pr0n... clubs and grips and balls and bags oh my!:eek: And it will show me how to use said clubs. And let me order said clubs. And book a tee time. All while I'm playing Candy Crush at the same time.:ROFLMAO:

Honest review. I respect that. I haven't had an android phone since the iphone 4 came out... I did miss free ringtones for a while... free ringtones of music... not the crap people make on garageband or whatever it is they use. Now I'm older and care less.:ROFLMAO:

It's a tool is right. And that tool will #1. Show me pr0n. --> golf pr0n... clubs and grips and balls and bags oh my!:eek: And it will show me how to use said clubs. And let me order said clubs. And book a tee time. All while I'm playing Candy Crush at the same time.:ROFLMAO:

You had me all fired up to shoot off a red white and blue cannon until the candy crush? I think I know what it is, 🤣????

Plus I just want the shot tracer thingie that @OldandStiff has so I can find my f’ing golf ball, 🤣

Plus I just want the shot tracer thingie that @OldandStiff has so I can find my f’ing golf ball, 🤣
I can neither confirm nor deny that it's been used for that exact purpose.

I have the S21+. I don't really use it for anything other than texting and browsing the web, so I can't speak on all the features. Seems like it has a lot of capabilities though, should the need arise.

Galaxy S9 but seriously thinking of an upgrade to the 21 - I love new toys

I really love the One Plus phones. I have an iPhone right now, but before that I had a One Plus 7+ and a One Plus 8. Both were excellent, and they are usually 50% the cost of a Samsung with similar specs and none of the bloatware.
I had a 7T pro which was (still is) phenomenal, but it was just too damn big.

I had a 7T pro which was (still is) phenomenal, but it was just too damn big.

7T, not 7+. I knew it sounded wrong when I wrote it. It’s big, yes, but I like a big phone.

On the iPhone train. But because I think it is the best. Simply just what I have..

I just ordered a new phone. I won’t update my software once I get one.
Not keeping the software up-to-date is exceedingly unwise, IMO. Software designers and engineers make mistakes. Those mistakes sometimes produce vulnerabilities. Those vulnerabilities get discovered and exploited.

It is particularly unwise not to update mobile devices when you run things like...

My banking app ...
^^^^^ that on your mobile devices.

Example: Apple recently released iOS and iPadOS 14.5, as well as a new release of WatchOS. Mere days later a serious 0-day vulnerability was found and found to already be being exploited in the wild. Apple quickly released iOS/iPadOS 14.5.1, and, I believe, another update to WatchOS, as well. I usually wait a while before installing updates. Let others be the beta testers ;) Not with an actively exploited 0-day vulnerability, I don't. They all got updated tout de suite.

I can neither confirm nor deny that it's been used for that exact purpose.

Lol! I will 100% use it for that. No one here wants to see a 220 yard flare or duck hook off the tee. So the video will be personal. When I stripe one, sure. Maybe I share? 🤷‍♂️

What do you use and is there a cost? If it’s less than a sleeve of balls it’ll probably save me some, lol.

Not keeping the software up-to-date is exceedingly unwise, IMO. Software designers and engineers make mistakes. Those mistakes sometimes produce vulnerabilities. Those vulnerabilities get discovered and exploited.

It is particularly unwise not to update mobile devices when you run things like...

^^^^^ that on your mobile devices.

Example: Apple recently released iOS and iPadOS 14.5, as well as a new release of WatchOS. Mere days later a serious 0-day vulnerability was found and found to already be being exploited in the wild. Apple quickly released iOS/iPadOS 14.5.1, and, I believe, another update to WatchOS, as well. I usually wait a while before installing updates. Let others be the beta testers ;) Not with an actively exploited 0-day vulnerability, I don't. They all got updated tout de suite.

Thanks. I know not crap but I’m glad they’re not doing the phone trade in. There are no national secrets on mine but a ton of crap that is personal to me that I’ve shared with friends only. Wipe it? 🤣

Even I know that it might delete but it’s not wiped.

Nope. Keeping all of them now. Throw em in a box. In my bunker.

Went from a 8+ to a 12. We’ll see. Almost same size but just enough difference that my case won’t fit it. So I guess I’ll have to buy another of those too?

Keeping the software up to date on an old iPhone will kill it faster than waiting for the original to outdate. Sure, some updates are good. But if it comes good and if you don’t update you get 5ish years.

You update and it croaks about the same time as you get it paid off, likely 2 years.

I’d rather get 5 years out of the same phone before it becomes a hockey puck. I am running 12.0.01 on this one. I’ll update until the next phone comes out. Once that does, the updates kill the old one and really only work on the new.

It works fine. Except two apps don’t work. Unfortunately one is my banking app, which I need.

Last edited:
Google Pixel 3a currently - I had a Samsung S7 prior to this and it just stopped working one day and the Pixel was on sale so I picked that up. Both are nice and work well. My wife is on the iPhone cycle and her new 12 (11?) takes amazing photo's, while the Pixels are nice I think that the newest iPhones take even better photos.

think so? Sounds like a fun change.
Imagine a phone where you can tell it what to do rather than a phone that thinks it knows better.

Back