Cell Phones: Android edition

think so? Sounds like a fun change.
I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Android is simply more functional. iphone is great if you want to live in a bubble that encases iOS, but for anyone who uses computers in a professional capacity, Android just makes more sense.

And definitely go with a Pixel 5.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Android is simply more functional. iphone is great if you want to live in a bubble that encases iOS, but for anyone who uses computers in a professional capacity, Android just makes more sense.

And definitely go with a Pixel 5.
I was on the Samsung kick for a while. Absolutely loved that I could buy a ZeroLemon and have a week long battery hahaha

Switched to iPhone because the video/pic quality going from wife's Apple to my Android was abysmal. Has it improved?

I was on the Samsung kick for a while. Absolutely loved that I could buy a ZeroLemon and have a week long battery hahaha

Switched to iPhone because the video/pic quality going from wife's Apple to my Android was abysmal. Has it improved?
Pixel has always been the industry leader in imaging. Apple came close with their latest offerings, but Pixel still reigns supreme. Mostly because of their processing software. Can't speak for video, but the stuff I shoot of my son looks good.

Pixel has always been the industry leader in imaging. Apple came close with their latest offerings, but Pixel still reigns supreme. Mostly because of their processing software. Can't speak for video, but the stuff I shoot of my son looks good.
Yeah it's not so much about what the devices can do, it's about how they trade with other devices.

Apple to Apple is spotless. Is Apple to Android still atrocious?

Yeah it's not so much about what the devices can do, it's about how they trade with other devices.

yes.

Apple purposefully doesn't play nice with others. It's annoying.
It's incredibly annoying, and the only reason I am on Apple (thanks, wife).

I preferred my Android experience overall, however, with so many I know on Apple devices, that connection is a tough thing to give up.

Moto G7 power, it is inexpensive and the battery lasts for two days.

I don't think so. I've been using Mac since 1986, and haven't had any issues with an Android phone. What is it that you're looking to do?

I've got the Samsung A51, basically a less tricked out S model. Considerably less expensive and it does everything I ask it to.

I might actually ponder a swap away from Apple on my next upgrade.
We used to be on Android. We got away from it for a variety of reasons. Now that we've been in the Apple ecosystem a few years I don't see us ever going back. The nearly seamless integration between iPhones, iPads, Apple Watches, AirPods, ATVs, and now AirTags is something I'm not the least bit interested in losing. Really looking forward to playing with HomeKit :) And some Mac desktops, eventually.

Yes: I've been thoroughly Borged
lol.gif

Kind of bored, although facetime is ideal.
Signal Private Messenger :) (And, unlike Facetime, it's cross-platform.)

... for anyone who uses computers in a professional capacity, Android just makes more sense.
Disagree.

In fact it was due to discovering that, of all the network security professionals I knew, noticing more of them used iPhones than Android phones was one of the things that got me looking in that direction.

In fact... now that I think of it: At the time I retired: The entire IT Dept. was on iPhones and, IIRC, more of the software and hardware engineers had iPhones than Android phones.

Last edited:
We used to be on Android. We got away from it for a variety of reasons. Now that we've been in the Apple ecosystem a few years I don't see us ever going back. The nearly seamless integration between iPhones, iPads, Apple Watches, AirPods, ATVs, and now AirTags is something I'm not the least bit interested in losing. Really looking forward to playing with HomeKit :) And some Mac desktops, eventually.

lol.gif

I’ve been Apple since the iPhone 3G. I know the OS, know where all the settings are and how to configure everything, all the tricks, shortcuts,etc. I bought a Samsung Android tablet for a different use case (GPS in my UTV), and felt completely lost trying to configure it. It felt so un-intuitive to me and was really frustrating, and the Google Play store felt like a s**tshow compared to the Apple App Store. It didn’t work out for the intended use, and now sits gathering dust in a cabinet.

I range from mild disagreement to full-on dislike for some things Apple does, but I like the quality of their hardware, the way they work, and how the ecosystem integrates. After my experience with the tablet, Apple would have to really screw the pooch to ever make me consider an Android phone.

I’ve been Apple since the iPhone 3G. I know the OS, know where all the settings are and how to configure everything, all the tricks, shortcuts,etc. I bought a Samsung Android tablet for a different use case (GPS in my UTV), and felt completely lost trying to configure it.
No surprise there
lol.gif

Each has their relative advantages. There are some things I used to have on Android that aren't available on iOS--a couple of those because, iOS being more locked-down, they simply cannot be done. But there are some things about Android I definitely don't miss, and those far, far outweigh the things I do.

No surprise there
lol.gif

Each has their relative advantages. There are some things I used to have on Android that aren't available on iOS--a couple of those because, iOS being more locked-down, they simply cannot be done. But there are some things about Android I definitely don't miss, and those far, far outweigh the things I do.
I get the Android thing for people who enjoy rooting their phones and tinkering with them, sideloading apps, etc. - that’s a lot more difficult on iOS. I’m just not that much of a “power user”, have never once jailbroken any of my iPhones. They do what I need them to do and are reliable about it, that’s good enough for me.

lol.gif

Disagree.

In fact it was due to discovering that, of all the network security professionals I knew, noticing more of them used iPhones than Android phones was one of the things that got me looking in that direction.

In fact... now that I think of it: At the time I retired: The entire IT Dept. was on iPhones and, IIRC, more of the software and hardware engineers had iPhones than Android phones.
By professionals, I'm referring to for whom Macs were originally designed: Creatives. I use a phone to make phone calls, and send emails. I use a Mac in a professional sense. Ipads, and iphones, and airpods, and itags, and homepods all may play nice together, but they are of absolutely no consequence to my profession. I don't need toys. And I'm certainly not going to replace a fine Swiss timepiece with a buzzing mini-computer that annoys me all day long.

I have zero interest in living in an "ecosystem" that serves me no use other than to sell me more things I don't need simply because they play with each other. You may be Borged (nice reference btw) but all I hear is you drank the Koolaid.

My mac talks to my Google account, as does my phone. They sync just fine.

I just got this years model of the same phone and I'm glad I did as this phone is awesome for the price.

By professionals, I'm referring to for whom Macs were originally designed: Creatives.
It's unclear to me why an Android phone would be any more advantageous than an iPhone to those for whom Macs were designed. Can you explain why you believe this to be so?

I use a phone to make phone calls, and send emails.
As do I, except not email so much. I also use my phone and/or tablet for:
  • Password and other account credentials management (encrypted keyring)
  • Messaging
  • Web browsing
  • Managing our bank and retirement accounts
  • 2FA
  • Land navigation
  • Calendaring (appointments, etc.)
  • Note-taking
  • Wake-up and other timed alarms
  • Monitoring our home alarm and video surveillance systems
  • Monitoring our identity theft detection/mitigation service
  • Wireless/contactless payments
  • Watching TV and movies (mainly while waiting on appointments and the like)
  • Reading
  • Listening to podcasts and streaming radio
  • Taking photographs and videos
Ipads, and iphones, and airpods, and itags, and homepods all may play nice together, but they are of absolutely no consequence to my profession.
Fair enough. But the availability of those devices doesn't detract from the manufacturer's product line, either. So I'm not getting your point.

I don't need toys.
How are iPhones, iPads, or AirPods any more "toys" than their Android analogues?

And I'm certainly not going to replace a fine Swiss timepiece with a buzzing mini-computer that annoys me all day long.
To each their own, but my Apple Watch not only tells me the date and time, but also:
  • The current weather and forecast
  • Calendar events
  • Monitors my heart rate (more important for us older folk and those with a heart condition)
  • Has fall detection and contact alerting (again: more important for us older folk)
  • Allows me to make, receive, and, most importantly, screen phone calls
  • Gives me turn-by-turn navigation alerts - kind of a wrist-mounted heads up navigation display :)
  • Alerts me to changes in alarm system status, alarms, and video surveillance events
  • Tracks my workouts and other activity/health
  • Facilitates contactless payments that are more secure than a physical credit card
I have a nice watch. It's not Swiss, but it's a nice Citizen. I don't find "just watches" to be particularly handy in this day-and-age. I suppose it's kind of like how clocks and watches supplanted the sundial ;)

I have zero interest in living in an "ecosystem" that serves me no use other than to sell me more things I don't need simply because they play with each other.
Curse you, Apple! Curse you to blazes for manufacturing well-made and well-thought-out devices that play well together and then forcing me to buy them! 😂

You may be Borged (nice reference btw) but all I hear is you drank the Koolaid.
Ah, there it is, users that appreciate the ecosystem Apple has created have "drank the Kool Aid" :) I suppose it was inevitable.

Lots of ignorant anti android comments here LOL.
Oh? Which were the ignorant comments?

Galaxy S21 here, I am not a sheep to fall into the apple ecosystem.
Since you raised the subject of "sheep": Did you actually ever read the terms of service and privacy policies of Samsung and Google before you started using that device? I did. That's one reason I no longer use them.

Moto G's were what my wife and I were last using before the move to iThings. They were nice phones for the money, and made right here in the good ol' USofA. Then Google sold Motorola Mobility to Lenovo. That was another reason we dumped Google.

Last edited:
Samsung S21 Ultra. Love it. Not a Iphone fan just not my thing.
I had a Note 8 before this and while there are some really nice Android offerings ATM I really like Samsung phones.

Samsung S21 Ultra. Love it. Not a Iphone fan just not my thing.
I had a Note 8 before this and while there are some really nice Android offerings ATM I really like Samsung phones.
How's the camera on that thing?

Had Apple at work since it was "free". Same issue as Microsoft Teams, etc - works great as long as everyone has the same equipment and SW. But lots of suppliers and partners with other applications, operating systems, etc. Middle of night wasn't fun trying to figure out how deal with the differences. If you have the funds and all your connections have Apple, it's fine. But Android has it's issues as well - many applications are only available for ios.

I’ve been a droid / galaxy fan since the 2nd galaxy phone. Currently have the s20+ and really like the phone. The camera is unreal also!

I might actually ponder a swap away from Apple on my next upgrade.

Kind of bored, although facetime is ideal.

Now that my tech expert (oldest kid) doesn’t live with me full time I’d rather stick with something I think I mostly sort of know how to work.

I can’t just hand it to him anymore and say “waaa! Make this damn thing work again!”

Usually a 10 second fix for him that had me using my phone for slide bowling for 3 days before he de-jackifys it now.

I’ll stick with Apple. I just don’t have the patience to try to figure something else out when after 10ish years I still haven’t figured out the one. But I can usually use it! So it’s a start.

I don't like talking to my phone haha

Oh, Siri gets a stern talking to every time something doesn’t work right. No free passes around here, even for inanimate objects (even if they talk back some).

Back