Cell Phones On The Course: Does It Bug You

Turtlerancher

Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Pick one.
Just don't be the Richard walking around with your cell on speaker talking to your buddies about jack shite! Nothing annoys me more, on or off the course, than the idiots walking around with their cell held in front of them yakking away on speaker. :mad:

SquirrelyDave

Allegedly....
Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 22.7
Just don't be the Richard walking around with your cell on speaker talking to your buddies about jack shite! Nothing annoys me more, on or off the course, than the idiots walking around with their cell held in front of them yakking away on speaker. :mad:
I don’t care what Lucinda said about your mother, or how John’s STD treatment is going! I think anyone using speakerphone in public should either have their phone taken away or anyone around them should just join in the conversation. :ROFLMAO:

Turtlerancher

Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Pick one.
I don’t care what Lucinda said about your mother, or how John’s STD treatment is going! I think anyone using speakerphone in public should either have their phone taken away or anyone around them should just join in the conversation. :ROFLMAO:
Trust me, they get pissed when you join in on the conversation! :cool:

Golf Ghost

Major Champion (x4)
Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
RCGA 12.3
It depends. It's pretty understandable that jobs don't stop when you leave the office. Just be respectful about it. Have your phone on silent, step away if you have to make a call, and don't hold up others.

Craziest example was that I played with a Dr once who was guiding another Dr through open heart surgery. :oops:

Sox_Fan

BHG Homer
Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Putting
The phones themselves do not bother me. The way some very inconsiderate people use them (talk extremely loudly, hold up play with an obviously non-critical call, etc.) does.

Gman79

I'm Chris and I'm a golf addict
Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
If a colleague is on a call and I'm playing, they get to hop out and get some exercise. I'm out of work enjoying some time away, I don't care to hear what you are working on. Bluetooth headphones have been really nice now.

Clients are usually smart and don't have cc on course.

OITW

Contestant in #THPSweep
Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
The Clock

Luchnia

Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GRINT 19
I have to say that most of the time people who use their cell phones on the course don't bother me. What does is the people who are constantly on the phone for whatever reason and won't stop. They hold up the game get you mad at them and generally spoil the round for me. So what bug you about people who use their cell phones on the course?
There are those that use the cell phones wisely, yet those that simply do not. It is disrespectful to others and the focus is not on the game at all. The few times I have had that happen in a bad way, it was obvious they should not have been on the course at all. I have had guys say things before the round like, I will have to make a couple business calls, but I will keep them short and wanted to let you know.

I leave my cell phone in the car most of the time or put it in my bag and usually check it when I am done. I believe in respect to my fellow man and being on a cell phone constantly is showing that I disrespect others around me. I could really get on a rant here especially with what is happening to our kids today with these phones! LOL

Pepetito

Reaction score
I have to say that most of the time people who use their cell phones on the course don't bother me. What does is the people who are constantly on the phone for whatever reason and won't stop. They hold up the game get you mad at them and generally spoil the round for me. So what bug you about people who use their cell phones on the course?
Yes

SunnyWalker

Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
10>
Yeah, I find it annoying when someone is constantly playing with their phone during play. Thankfully, most of the guys I play with aren't tied to their phones.

I leave mine in the truck while I'm playing.

MNMarc

Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
It only bothers me when it holds up our group.

ShootzGolf

Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I'm tied to my phone by my livelihood as well. But phone is on silent and I check it between holes.
I have one golf buddy who's needy kids are ringing him constantly about stupid stuff. We told him to mute his phone and check between holes as well.
Buddy checks phone. Makes call. "We're out of Fruit Loops? Okay I'll pick some up on my way home". :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Drumdog

Drummin' for golf
Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 6
They only bother me when they ring in my backswing or holds up my playing partners from moving along.

fuffle master

Hit it, Hit it, Hit it Hard!!
Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Working
Nah, noise doesn’t bother me when playing. Many times I would have a joke or conversation with a playing partner as I am swinging.

Luchnia

Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GRINT 19
I do wonder why someone that is on the phone for a large percentage of the round is even out playing in the first place. It would seem to me that they are not really into the game. The few times that I played with guys that are busy with the phone seemed that they were way too distracted to focus on the golf game. That is just my POV though.

scott.french3

Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Keep ringer on silent or vibrate and don't talk while others are hitting.

ArmyGolf

Rise & Grind!
Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GM 11.4
Doesnt bother me provided:
1) it's not nonstop for 4h
2) we never have to wait for him
3) it's not imparting negative vibes/energy into the group (yelling, cursing, high anxiety stuff)

Gus R

Reaction score
Handicap
none
Cell phones in general bug me. What did you do before cell phones? On the course I don't have a problem as long as it does not affect play. I have a cell phone when on the course, but I only used it once when our cart broke down and I called in to the pro shop and then sent out a replacement. Other wise it is always shut off.

MattyD-MPLS

Captain for The 2020 Grandaddy
Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
In today’s world. Cell phones are the norm.
Make sure your ringer is on vibrate and excuse yourself if you need to make a call. I can’t remember a time where a cell phone bothered me.

Tee/Ski

Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
^^

This is well said. I agree 100%.

WLG1952

Reaction score
Handicap
16?
I have no problem with golfers and their cell phones. I treat it just like I do slow play. I will not let others ruin my day on a golf course.

On two occassions I have seen cell phones used on a golf course to help save the lives of two heart attack victims. One used his phone's gps to guide the life flight chopper to the hole we were on.

So if even one life is saved, I am not going to complain about other's cell phone use. I may not like the annoyance, but that's about it. Hell, it could be me needing that person and their phone some day.

Just_Hacking

Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
As long as it doesn't disrupt the pace of play it doesn't bother me too much. For example, one guy we play with gets a good many calls due to his job. He either will tell them to hold on for a moment while he hits or he will pick up. The other guy will get on personal calls and take way to much time to hit. I have been known to play on and leave him after too long of a wait.

93civiccpe

Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
If they aren't holding up play then I'm fine with it. I use mine for cobra connect and a friend uses his for GPS. Now if it's a friend who is overly distracted with work (which has happened a few times and made the rounds miserable) I'm open with them about it

GoldenBuff

Pool noodle fencing
Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Similar perspective. Like most things, thoughtful use and awareness of impact on others is more significant than the specific behavior.

ntanygd760

Reaction score
Handicap
Ringers and loud talkers on phone bugs me. If you aren't slowing up everyone I don't care. Hell on some slow days playing as a single I watch netflix during waits with headphones. I don't really get taking tons of calls on the course but I am single and not a doctor. I have seen far too many randoms have their game tank after taking a call from significant other.

Welcome to The Hackers Paradise

Don't just play golf, live it!

Register Log in