Cell Phones On The Course: Does It Bug You

I have to say that most of the time people who use their cell phones on the course don't bother me. What does is the people who are constantly on the phone for whatever reason and won't stop. They hold up the game get you mad at them and generally spoil the round for me. So what bug you about people who use their cell phones on the course?

Yes, except for emergency use, cell phones do not belong on the golf course. Like playing music, wearing jeans or tank tops, using cell phones on the course is disrespectful to the game.

It depends. It's pretty understandable that jobs don't stop when you leave the office. Just be respectful about it. Have your phone on silent, step away if you have to make a call, and don't hold up others.

Craziest example was that I played with a Dr once who was guiding another Dr through open heart surgery. :oops:
Perfect example of actually needing to be on the phone. lol would have actually loved to be there for that one.

I have to say that most of the time people who use their cell phones on the course don't bother me. What does is the people who are constantly on the phone for whatever reason and won't stop. They hold up the game get you mad at them and generally spoil the round for me. So what bug you about people who use their cell phones on the course?
If someone I am playing with isn't interested enough in me to spend any time off his phone, I'm probably not impressed by it.

With respect to people doing what they want, I'll look for other people to ride with if someone can't "be there" with us.

I don’t mind at all. You won’t disturb me.

In all transparency, I think if you’re going to spend time and money playing golf, you’re only detracting from your leisure time by being connected to your phone but again, that’s just my personal outlook about it. :)

If it’s not holding up the game I’m fine with it. Personally I don’t respond to my phone the majority of time when on the course.

I use my phone for Arccos GPS and shot tracking, but I’m rarely ever doing anything else with my phone on the course. If I’m playing with someone and they appear to be texting or looking apps all round I think it’s rude but it doesn’t affect me or my game (as long as it doesn’t impact pace).

Cell phones in general do not bother me on the course, but if you have one at least have the decency to put it on dnd. Bluetooth speakers are on a whole different level though. I've noticed at my local course lately that a lot of golfers are now rocking Bluetooth speakers in the carts. For God's sake put in some ear buds!!!! If I wanted to listen to music I would but I'd rather not hear yours, thanks!

I have my phone in my pocket as it tracks my steps, but it is on silent and I don't take calls - if my phone does ring I will wait until it is suitable to check and see who called and then just send a quick message to say I will ring later (I have a quick reply message set up so it only takes a couple seconds to do)
If it is an emergency, family know to ring the clubhouse and if necessary they will send someone out to find me on the course

If other people in my group are using their phone for GPS etc then I have no issues with that, but if they are constantly talking to someone then I won't be inviting them to play again, or finding another group to play with

Phone only for tunes and tracking, very rarely will I answer a call from anyone other than my wife. If I know something is going on with work, then I may step away to make a phone call but beyond that, nope.

I think if someone is up front about possibly getting an urgent call I'd be OK with it. Otherwise turn your ringer off. Lucky for me I get notification on my smart watch so I can check something if I think it'll be urgent.

Forgot to add, I will occasionally use my phone for taking a picture of the course if I am playing somewhere new, or if there is some wildlife or a funky lie/shot that I want to capture

I've played with several business leaders and owners. It happens. I don't mind as long as it doesn't slow the pace of play. Oh and no speakerphone. In the age of Bluetooth....why?

I normally dont care as long as there not yelling on the phone while its my turn. I normally turn off my phone on my rounds.

I used to use one of the various GPS apps on mine for distances, but no longer do. I don't make calls when I'm playing, but will answer if I'm playing solo depending on who calls. Otherwise, there could be trouble at home afterwards. :surrender:

I'm fine with phones on the course right up until it starts messing with pace of play. My foursome unfortunately has a real estate agent in it so I can typically count on him taking a phone call at least once a round and it lasting for a hole or two. I'll deal with phones if you are texting but if you being on your phone makes me have to wait to hit a shot, then I have a problem.

Not bothersome to me if you're not being a dick. I get it - life. (i'm on call 24/7 so I understand - but I also know how to be courteous if something comes up)

Same as you. No issues as long as it’s not constant talk and holding me up. My BIL is a real estate agent. He’ll just skip a shot or a hole if he has to take care of business. He’d never get to play if he couldn’t answer his phone so that’s how he manages it.

Besides, how can any of us have issues with cell phones on the course? How are we supposed to be updated during THP events?

Besides, how can any of us have issues with cell phones on the course? How are we supposed to be updated during THP events?

You do raise a valid point there. :LOL:

As long as it doesn’t slow us down and they are respectful when I swing, go for it. Of course in an emergency, do what you need to do but if you’re buddy is calling you and I’m about hit, tell your bro to wait!

If you're a twosome it can be managed, if you're a foursome it's difficult for the pace to be kept up, especially if you're taking multiple calls.

I played my first round of the year on Saturday with a couple buddies who were on their phones (non-GPS) throughout the round. We played in 3:45, and were stuck behind a foursome, but part of me wanted tell them to put their phones down and enjoy my company :LOL:

About 15 years ago Clint Eastwood opened Tehama Golf Club-Carmel , including a "no cell phone policy". One of the members was on the putting green with a phone to his ear and Clint told him about the policy. The member said to Clint "I'll be off in a minute" and continued with his call. Clint went to the club's office and had a $200,000 check cut to the member, which he personally delivered while telling the guy he was no longer a member.

Nope not at all. I don’t like when people are on the driving range talking on their phone but as long as they’re quiet and/or step off to the side I don’t mind

It doesn't bother me what people do with their phones. I'm more concerned with what I am doing. How they choose to spend their round is up to them.

Back