CG16's and TPC Sawgrass...

Titleistforlife

Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 6.3
I had the opportunity last week to test out the new Cleveland CG16 irons. We played Sawgrass Country Club, TPC Sawgrass Stadium Course, TPC Sawgrass Dye's Valley and the King and Bear course at the World Golf Hall of Fame. Overall a great week of golf at some fantastic courses.

Before I get into talking about the CG16's let me tell you something about my club ownership. I have been an avid Ping fan for 26 years. I haven't owned anything but Pings for the last 26 years, mostly the "i" series and tour series irons.

This year I thought I was ready for a change. Not only in brand, but also going to more of a game improvement iron. I hit several different models narrowing my choice to the TM Burner 2.0's and the Cleveland CG 16's, finally choosing the Cg16's.

After playing the CG16's for a week I can say that they are definately a nice iron, however I could not stand to look down and see that thick line. I played the par 3's at +1 for the week. (three birdies, two doubles, and the rest pars including a par at the infamous 17 at the Stadium course) I hit the irons fairly well, playing all courses at an average handicap of 8, but I just can't stand the chunkiness of this iron. I ordered new Ping S-56's on the way home.

Maybe I would've been happier with the CG16 Tours...Maybe it is just the fact that I am a Ping guy. Cleveland has a winner in the CG 16 this year but they just weren't for me.

The golf courses were great. Sawgrass Country Club still was not in "summer" condition just yet, but what a challenging course. The Stadium course was VERY nice and now closed until the Players Championship in May. The clubhouse in itself is worth the price of admission. Dye's Valley Course would've been fantastic had they not sanded the greens the morning we played. I was very impressed with the King and Bear Course out at the World Golf Village.

Overall a fantastic week of golf, especially coming from the "frozen tundra" of North Dakota. I thought I would be coming home to an open golf course and instead came home to 8 inches of new snow! :at-wits-end:

Last edited:
What do you mean by "summer condition"? I would think that would be a very good thing for FL golf, as our seasons are not quite the same as everybody elses.

What I wanted to say is that Sawgrass Country Club is a very nice layout, a very nice course, but the condition was not at it's peak. It was like playing an Arizona course in the dead of winter. Make sense?

What I wanted to say is that Sawgrass Country Club is a very nice layout, a very nice course, but the condition was not at it's peak. It was like playing an Arizona course in the dead of winter. Make sense?

Okay. That makes some sense in that some ways their season is winding down quite a bit.

JB - When (in your opinion) do courses in Florida "peak" condition wise? (What month?) Does it vary by course?

JB - When (in your opinion) do courses in Florida "peak" condition wise? (What month?) Does it vary by course?

FL is a pretty big place, so it would really depend on location. But fall and winter are our peak months in many places.

man talk about an awesome week of golf...im jealous

If I told you it was "all expenses paid" would that make you feel any better? :egyptian:

Well, I'm jealous you got to play Sawgrass. I've always wondered how I would fair on 17. Too bad about the irons not working out but at least you tried them, that's more than a lot of people can say. Sounds like a real swell trip.

FL is a pretty big place, so it would really depend on location. But fall and winter are our peak months in many places.

Yep. Summer is to hot for most people to play, plus most of our seasonal residents are gone. Summer rates are insanely cheap and I can't wait for them to kick in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I told you it was "all expenses paid" would that make you feel any better? :egyptian:

I hate you )

Makes me miss my old job even more, golfing with customers a few times a month, oh well maybe again some day!

That sounds like an amazing trip and some amazing course. The jealousy is running trhough my veins.

17 is pretty special...Coming up 16 you can see 17 on your right and you kinda start to get that tingling feeling. We had the wind at our back and the blue tee was at about 115 yards. I hit a 52 degree wedge to about 20 feet. I was short of the pin. Just missed the birdie putt and tapped in for par. We had a tour of the Clubhouse the eve before we played and they told us the Stadium course has on average 44,000 rounds a year played. Anyone want to guess how many balls on average they pull out of the water on 17 a year?

Sounds like an awesome trip! :D
I'm jealous, I've always wanted to play TPC Sawgrass especially number 17.

Since there are no guess: 125,000 balls a year! That is about 3 per person...

Its funny you are a ping guy but your username is titleistforlife. Anyway....I like the cg16 tour more than the regular one only because I'm not a big fan of thicker toplines. Both the regular version and the tour are very nice clubs though so it just depends on a persons preference

thanks for sharing your thoughts on the irons.

17 is pretty special...Coming up 16 you can see 17 on your right and you kinda start to get that tingling feeling. We had the wind at our back and the blue tee was at about 115 yards. I hit a 52 degree wedge to about 20 feet. I was short of the pin. Just missed the birdie putt and tapped in for par. We had a tour of the Clubhouse the eve before we played and they told us the Stadium course has on average 44,000 rounds a year played. Anyone want to guess how many balls on average they pull out of the water on 17 a year?

120,000 balls according to google?

uh no! I'm super jealous, but hey, Play it as it lies!

Sounds like an incredible week, only to drive home what you probably already knew. Have fun with the new clubs!

Its funny you are a ping guy but your username is titleistforlife.

I thought the same thing INgolfer, but I wasn't sure how to say it tactfully.

The toplines are one of the reasons I liked the Burner 2.0 better than the CG16. The Burners have the optical illusion going on with the black/chrome to make the topline look thinner than it really is. I know a GI club is going to have the thicker topline, so any help to make it look thinner is nice to me.

The only thing I might suggest is that if you are interested in the GI forgiveness and if the CG16 were a purchase you had already made, give them a bit more time to see if you can adjust to them. Irons to me are the clubs it takes longest to adjust to because of all the differences between sets.

My name was created after the Cleveland Iron purchase. I have always been a Titleist golf ball user, thus the name...I guess I should've called myself "Titleistgolfballguyforlife"...But that gets a little wordy. :)

I am going to go back to a thinner iron again at least for this year. I really did like the looks of the Burner 2.0's.

Is anyone else amazed by the fact they pull 120,000 plus balls from 17 at Stadium each year! THat is an average of almost 3 balls per player...YIKES.

There was an article in Golf Digest (or was in Golf Magazine...can't remember) this month where they charted all the balls hit on 17 over a normal day. I guess that is one hole for sure where I would hit at least a sleeves worth to see if I could hit that green.

Back