Champions Tour Age Change?

SeeMoreGuy

They Make 'em. I Buy 'em.
Reaction score
I was watching the Sony Open and just watching the talent of these youg men which is truly amazing especially this early in their careers. I started thinking about something which may be a bit far-fetshed a.k.a thinking outside the box. here it is:

Would it be feasible to move the age back to say 45 years old from 50 years old on the champions tour? heard an announcer say that Champion Tour players may only be really competitive for about 6 years.

With the young guns coming on tour in such an advanced stage golfwise does this make sense? I think it would give the Champions Tour a influx of great talent that still has some great golf to show us.

Any thoughts?

TapAhoy!

Keith the champions tour is filled with uber competitive guys. I think changing the age takes away from mystic of the champions tour. I like that there is a cross over between the two tour with 50 year olds splitting time.

I'm just afraid that at 45 you would still have the same six years of chances to be competitive on the Champions Tour, it would just be dialed back from 50-56 to 45-51.

Besides, that gives us all a few more years to perfect our game before playing in Monday qualifiers for the Champions Tour. Seriously? Seriously. lol :laughing:

I think if anything the senior tour age would go up, not down. Guys have been taking better care of themselves, there are older guys still fighting on the regular tour. Vijay's still grinding away. Ernie who's no spring chicken won the open last year. Couples is competitive seemingly every year at the masters, 60+ year old Tom Watson was an 8 iron staying on the green from winning the open 3 years ago.
Those are just the big names, Ross Cochran, a champions tour regular, monday qualified for the sony this week. I think Fred Funk was there too. It's a young man's game but these old guys are competitive with the young'ins more and more with advances in how they take care of their bodies and equipment

I think that wouldn't be a bad idea. The amount of great players on PGA tour are getting younger and younger. I think if they have it a go and tried it out it couldn't hurt.

Back