Champions Tour: Does it affect your thoughts on a Players Career?

Playdough

Hi.
Reaction score
Handicap
So this came to mind based on discussion in another thread.

Does a players success or lack of success on the Champions Tour affect the why you think about their total career? Does a Member winning a major there count as much in your mind as them winning a major on the regular Tour?

I personally feel as the fields have gotten stronger and better players are making their way there that their is a little more merit added to a players career if they have success on the Champions Tour. I feel like Kenny Perry winning 4 or 5 majors on the Champions Tour while still being competitive on the regular tour adds some merit to his career.

Could a successful Champions Tour career give a boost to a players total career and move them to a Hall of Famer?

It really doesn't make a difference for me... I look at it (rightly or wrongly) as two separate golf careers. If someone is crazy good on the PGA tour, but doesn't play as well on the Champions Tour, I'm not going to think anything less of their overall career.

I just don't see it the same. It seems like (mostly) a revolving door of guys that come off the PGA Tour, have a bunch of success, and then get replaced by the next younger guy. I know that isn't exactly reality b/c there are a number of tenured guys competing, but it seems to happen quite often.

To me it definitely doesnt carry as much weight winning a champions tour major as the pga majors.

And while it should have some weight and value when looking at a total career, I think the large large majority of the players value should be based on what he does on the PGA Tour.

I say no. I think success has to be achieved on major tours before joinimg the Champions Tour to achieve HOF status.

It's just not quite the same for me either. I still think it's hard to win but overall I can't help but judge them based on their PGA success

For me personally I don't think it has any effect on the way I look at the players career on the PGA tour. Every player is going to have up and downs, as they get older I feel their bodies just can't do as much as they used to. I think right now, the Champions Tour has the best players it may have ever had. There are a lot of great players on the tour and most of them I watched growing up so I still love watching them, but I think it's the best field to date.

I like the champions tour. I like that you can still see some of the greats get out and play. But honestly the wins they get and the majors they collect have very little effect on how I think about them. Kenny Perry is my example. He had a pretty good PGA Tour Career, however never won the majors. On the senior tour he now has almost half the wins he had on tour(6, 14 wins on PGA Tour) and better yet he has 3 majors. Those majors and 6 wins really mean nothing to me. I remember Kenny Perry as a good golfer, but a guy who let The Masters slip away, and a guy who should have been on the range in 96 instead of in the broadcast booth.

It is what it is--The Champions Tour. I think it's great, but it's no more in the same category as the PGA as is the Web.com Tour on the other side. The Seniors can still play, are entertaining, and I enjoy watching my old heroes still playing. But, to me, careers are based on success on the big tour.

Yea, just to be clear. I do enjoy watching and do almost every week. I just don't think it's the same thing.

Doesnt make a difference to me as for th emost part alot of the guys that are winning the Senior events can still compete at a high level on the regular tour.

I think the relaxed atmosphere and a "shorter" work week really brings out the best in alot of these guys and have helped prolong their careers

So this came to mind based on discussion in another thread.

Does a players success or lack of success on the Champions Tour affect the why you think about their total career? Does a Member winning a major there count as much in your mind as them winning a major on the regular Tour?

I personally feel as the fields have gotten stronger and better players are making their way there that their is a little more merit added to a players career if they have success on the Champions Tour. I feel like Kenny Perry winning 4 or 5 majors on the Champions Tour while still being competitive on the regular tour adds some merit to his career.

Could a successful Champions Tour career give a boost to a players total career and move them to a Hall of Famer?

I couldn't even dream of playing as well as anyone on the PGA Tour, Euro Tour, Web.com Tour, Senior Tour, LPGA Tour and the list continues. Winning on that level is an amazing feat regardless. Obviously winning on the PGA Tour is of top priority for most professional golfers because the best in the world play there, but the rest are great accomplishments as well.

Someone that comes to mind when discussing this topic is Fred Couples... great golfer that hasn't seen a whole lot of success on the Senior tour yet but that doesn't make his accomplishments on the PGA Tour any less special.

Love the champions tour. It is a different game, but a needed outlet for those on the tour to still be competitive on a regular basis. It is also cool to see some of those guys still doing well on regular events.

Doesn't make a difference to me. I put more weight on how they performed on the PGA tour than anything on the Champions tour.

I look at how some of the guys play on the Champions Tour and wonder why they couldn't do that on the PGA Tour. Like is Kenny Perry or Langer that much better now than they was on the PGA Tour? Is the difference between the Top 10 and the also-rans that greater? Also I think that tour is going to do nothing but get better over the next 10-15 years. Assuming these guys can stay heathly enough to play out there or haven't made so much money that they just decide to call it a career before they ever get there.

I play from time to time with a guy on the Champions Tour who had a very good career on the PGA Tour, including a major and several Ryder Cup appearances. His words to me, "I just can't get pumped up for it, it's social security for guys who couldn't make it in the big leagues". He went onto to say that he shows up mainly to satisfy sponsorship commitments, participate in a corporate outing and give a 20 minute speech over rubber chicken, rice and peas.

Now I think that is a bit harsh but it gives a window into the mindset of guys who hit it big on the young guys tour.

I look at how some of the guys play on the Champions Tour and wonder why they couldn't do that on the PGA Tour. Like is Kenny Perry or Langer that much better now than they was on the PGA Tour? Is the difference between the Top 10 and the also-rans that greater? Also I think that tour is going to do nothing but get better over the next 10-15 years. Assuming these guys can stay heathly enough to play out there or haven't made so much money that they just decide to call it a career before they ever get there.

I think the difference is the depth of the field and the setups. A guy like Perry comes off the Tour, still able to hit the ball almost 300 yards, yet he's now on a 6500 yard course instead of 7,100. At that age, I just think guys lose physical ability pretty fast, so there is a big divide between him and a Funk, Mize, or Kite.

I play from time to time with a guy on the Champions Tour who had a very good career on the PGA Tour, including a major and several Ryder Cup appearances. His words to me, "I just can't get pumped up for it, it's social security for guys who couldn't make it in the big leagues". He went onto to say that he shows up mainly to satisfy sponsorship commitments, participate in a corporate outing and give a 20 minute speech over rubber chicken, rice and peas.

Now I think that is a bit harsh but it gives a window into the mindset of guys who hit it big on the young guys tour.
This is what I think of when I watch the Champions Tour. It is another way for guys who can play serious golf, but are not as limber or as long as they used to be (or when compared to the younger guys) can keep doing what they love, sometimes the only job they know, and still make money.
I find the Champions Tour entertaining, but not in the same vein as the PGA.

This is what I think of when I watch the Champions Tour. It is another way for guys who can play serious golf, but are not as limber or as long as they used to be (or when compared to the younger guys) can keep doing what they love, sometimes the only job they know, and still make money.
I find the Champions Tour entertaining, but not in the same vein as the PGA.

Agreed - I tend to watch it when I can't sleep and the latest Forensic Files is a repeat!

I don't really watch the Champions tour but I do look out for who wins each week.

Langer has changed my perception being out there. From a guy with few wins in America except for majors to now a guy kicking serious rear end out there. Very impressive.

Back