Change to 9 hole scores for handicap index in 2024

Expected score for a plus handicap is already weird enough with a partial round. Filling in an entire 9 is just nuts.

this sounds absurd. Somehow not surprising something so dumb would be done.

Don't they have better things to think about than this?

I play 9 holes every morning in Spring and early Summer. I guess my handicap is going to be turning over even quicker.

I don't like this.

Shoutout to the front 9 scratch golfers club 🤝
edit: Hmmm.... I guess I could make it to scratch a little easier since I score well on the back 9 at the club. I already feel dirty.

I had 8 combined rounds in 2023. I figured them out with the new system using my index at the time of each round.

4/24 an 87 becomes 84/82
5/15 an 82 becomes 80/82
6/12 an 79 becomes 80/80
7/16 an 82 becomes 80/82
7/22 an 78 becomes 79/79
8/02 an 83 becomes 80/83
9/13 an 78 becomes 82/76
9/21 an 82 becomes 81/81

Tempest in a tea pot?

That sounds crazy to me. I wonder exactly how they calculate the back 9 score? At my course, the back 9 is longer and a good bit more difficult than the front. That's currently reflected when I post 2 nine hole scores on the back or 2 from the front. I'm usually a couple of strokes higher on the back 9, so I wonder if that kind of stuff will be included in the calculation.
This. At my home course the back 9 is definitely tougher and I usually shoot 2-4 strokes worse on the back 9. I used to play 9 hole rounds a lot but haven't in the past couple years. It's very rare that I do now. Still don't know how I feel about this. I'd really like to know how they are factoring this in.

I had 8 combined rounds in 2023. I figured them out with the new system using my index at the time of each round.

4/24 an 87 becomes 84/82
5/15 an 82 becomes 80/82
6/12 an 79 becomes 80/80
7/16 an 82 becomes 80/82
7/22 an 78 becomes 79/79
8/02 an 83 becomes 80/83
9/13 an 78 becomes 82/76
9/21 an 82 becomes 81/81

Tempest in a tea pot?

USGA - "Your Q School invite is in the mail"

They already completely screwed up the handicap system with their last changes. Why not continue, making it even more useless?
USGA is hell bent to continue on its way down the road to irrelevancy. .

Yeah I'm in agreement with everyone else here. This is just a bad idea.

Obviously I'm the werido here but I'm not seeing the issue. I play a lot of 9 hole rounds. That being said my club does alternate between going off on the front 9 and going off on the back 9.

According to shot scope I'm +14.2 on the front 9 and +12 on the back 9.

I guess my handicap is going up if I play more on the front.

My only 9 hole rounds last summer were when I played 27 but now I won’t be posting them. No way you can extrapolate an 18 hole score from 9 holes. So many times I’ll shoot something like 39-34 or the opposite.

USGA making another dumb decision, no surprise.

4/24 an 87 becomes 84/82
5/15 an 82 becomes 80/82
6/12 an 79 becomes 80/80
7/16 an 82 becomes 80/82
7/22 an 78 becomes 79/79
8/02 an 83 becomes 80/83
9/13 an 78 becomes 82/76
9/21 an 82 becomes 81/81

Tempest in a tea pot?

I think you are right. I don’t think it is that big a deal.

You know what? I don't mind it.

By using an expected differential, based on way more data points than a single golfer can provide, you'll end up with handicaps that are less volatile.

Play a good nine? That gets combined with an average expected differential for the other 9 for a good, but not exceptional, 18 hole differential.

Play an average nine? You'll have an average 18 hole differential. Nothing to write about there.

Play a poor nine? End up with a slightly worse than average 18 hole differential. Ok.

What this will certainly help with is sandbagging. This takes away the ability to post a bad 9 hole score when you've got a good one sitting in the bank.

But wouldn’t those ugly “back nine” rounds in theory also factor in?
They could, but if you have a streak of good nines, then post one or two bad ones, you have the possibility of them being handicapped less favorably.

They could, but if you have a streak of good nines, then post one or two bad ones, you have the possibility of them being handicapped less favorably.
so the good nines are in 18 hole rounds?

In reading the article it doesn’t extrapolate what you had been doing for that first 9 on to the second 9. It appears to use what your average differential is for that 9 holes. So if you have a hot 9 holes it assumes you revert to normal on the back. The article says it does prevent two low 9 hole scores from being combined for an artificially low round.

Of course that is if I am reading things correctly.
Bingo. Except that instead of your average differential for 9 holes, it uses the average for a player of your handicap index.

Maybe I'm just naïve or not as passionate because I don't play a lot of money games or big club competitions, but I feel like play your game, post your scores, and if we all do that the math works out

As someone who plays a 7/4/7 course (three groups of holes, 2 seven hole groupings and one four hole grouping) this is great for me because it means I can post more odd number scores outside of the 9/18 dichotomy if I only play say 14 or so.

Frankly, I play mostly 9-hole rounds so this approach doesn't bother me at all. In fact, I've had some weird, combined rounds such as having the back-9 of my home course (par-34 with three par-3s) combined with another back-9 suggesting that I had played a par 68 course with 6 par-3s. I also had two different courses combined (9 on my home course with 9 on a nearby 9-holer that I play from time to time). It strikes me that the USGA's new method will be better than either of these.

I’m ok with this honestly.

Maybe I'm just naïve or not as passionate because I don't play a lot of money games or big club competitions, but I feel like play your game, post your scores, and if we all do that the math works out
you could say that he's bright smart guy GIF

100% this

As someone who often shoots 41/50 or 48/39, I don’t like this at all. A computer algorithm can’t guess what I was going to shoot on that back 9.

As someone who often shoots 41/50 or 48/39, I don’t like this at all. A computer algorithm can’t guess what I was going to shoot on that back 9.
sounds like it would put you down for a 44...

sounds like it would put you down for a 44...
Yeah I just don’t like this idea. I don’t sky fist too often but I’m firmly “get off my lawn” on this one. If you play 9, wait til a second 9 is played and add it together. Don’t just make stuff up for someone. There’s no way this helps to make an index more accurate. It just gets a number more quickly. The point of an index isn’t to get it quickly. It’s to get it accurately.

Back