JonMA1

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
High
2022 will mark my 11th year of playing golf. For the last 10 years, I've purchased the $99 unlimited golf membership at a resort some 20 minutes from my home. It has always been my home course and I absolutely love playing the challenging 9 hole track. The folks who run it have been super nice to me and the head groundskeeper - who keeps the course in great shape - is like a friend. I walk almost 100% of my rounds so there are no cart fees on top of the $99 membership. Golf is very affordable.

The trouble is, it's only nine holes and it gets quite busy at times. Being a resort, it's not uncommon for large groups of guests to be allowed to go out at once. And while the drive through the Manistee National Forest is enjoyable, it's still a 20 minute drive and I rarely play after work.

I'm considering a change this year. For a bit more money - $240 I believe - I can get the unlimited membership at an 18 hole course that's within walking distance of my home. I don't like the course as much, but the new owners have put a lot of effort towards making it much nicer than it used to be. It also has a nice grass driving range and practice area. The only real negative mark against this course is that they open late in the Spring and close early in the Fall - my favorite times of the year to play. But those are also the months when the rates are a lot lower at the other courses in my area. This course only tops out at 5817 yards and has a low slope and rating, but it's challenging for me. (Honestly, my game is so bad that there's no chance of me ever thinking this is too easy.)

So for those who have switched courses, what's your story? Did you have any hesitation? Regrets? What were the tradeoffs?

It isn’t a ton of money so you could probably do both if you wanted to. Unless you have a bunch of friends at the other course that you play with regularly I don’t see the downside to making the change.

$99!? $240!!? That’s about 4 rounds down here- less if you’re playing nicer courses. At those prices, I’d grab both and play whichever one is slower on a given day.

2022 will mark my 11th year of playing golf. For the last 10 years, I've purchased the $99 unlimited golf membership at a resort some 20 minutes from my home. It has always been my home course and I absolutely love playing the challenging 9 hole track. The folks who run it have been super nice to me and the head groundskeeper - who keeps the course in great shape - is like a friend. I walk almost 100% of my rounds so there are no cart fees on top of the $99 membership. Golf is very affordable.

The trouble is, it's only nine holes and it gets quite busy at times. Being a resort, it's not uncommon for large groups of guests to be allowed to go out at once. And while the drive through the Manistee National Forest is enjoyable, it's still a 20 minute drive and I rarely play after work.

I'm considering a change this year. For a bit more money - $240 I believe - I can get the unlimited membership at an 18 hole course that's within walking distance of my home. I don't like the course as much, but the new owners have put a lot of effort towards making it much nicer than it used to be. It also has a nice grass driving range and practice area. The only real negative mark against this course is that they open late in the Spring and close early in the Fall - my favorite times of the year to play. But those are also the months when the rates are a lot lower at the other courses in my area. This course only tops out at 5817 yards and has a low slope and rating, but it's challenging for me. (Honestly, my game is so bad that there's no chance of me ever thinking this is too easy.)

So for those who have switched courses, what's your story? Did you have any hesitation? Regrets? What were the tradeoffs?

I think you should do what's best for you and where you'll play the most. Getting out and playing is most important, doesn't really matter where!

$99!? $240!!? That’s about 4 rounds down here- less if you’re playing nicer courses. At those prices, I’d grab both and play whichever one is slower on a given day.
yeah....the price we pay for year round golf.

as for the OP question....that walking distance practice area would be worth the $240 alone. without see the options hard to say, but I'd be moving to the 18 hole course.

Walking distance and a good practice area would seal the deal for me - not to mention being less crowded, and a full 18 holes instead of 9. I'd buy the membership there and occasionally go back and play the other/previous course if you wanted to stay in touch with them or have friends who play there or whatever.

$240 a year - I wish! My monthly membership dues are more than that at my club!

I would 100% do both, or even a 3rd membership at those rates

To add: I wouldn't leave my current club because all my buddies I golf with are members there, so I'd lose that network of friends and all the camaraderie - we golf together 3 to 4 days a week, every week. If I did most of my golfing solo and that wasn't an issue, I'd go wherever was most convenient and worked best for me.

It isn’t a ton of money so you could probably do both if you wanted to. Unless you have a bunch of friends at the other course that you play with regularly I don’t see the downside to making the change.

💯 This

I’d lean towards the 18 hole course. I don’t mind shorter courses since most of the time they require a bit more accuracy. I don’t think the slope necessarily keeps that in mind sometimes. I mean yeah, all golf is simple if you hit it in the fairway and then hit it on the green. It’s harder to hit those tighter fairways in reality. I prefer having the option to play 9 or 18 depending on the time. With a 9 hole resort course I imagine that gets a little tougher. Add in the practice area and I start leaning a little harder.

I think spending more for that 18 hole course would be beneficial. Closer, 18 over 9, probably not as busy. If it's fiscally feasible for you, like others said you could do both and play the 99 dollar resort course in the spring and fall.

I switched courses. The management was changed. The course is threadbare and frayed on the edges... it needs some improvement on one hole for major erosion... so I went to a different course.

If you want to play the 18 hole course, join up and enjoy! Remain a member of the 9 hole course too.

Better yet! Talk both courses into reciprocating membership so you can play at both!!

Unless I was at a top tier course, I probably wouldn’t hesitate to change courses. A change of scenery is nice and it’s an opportunity to potentially meet new people. I gave up my membership at a private club so I would have the opportunity to play more public courses in the area and I really enjoyed. I just missed the freedom that comes with a private club. Switch courses! You won’t regret it

@JonMA1 I have switched courses, and am now switching back, solely due to cost, but I feel that going back after 2 years away from my local muni will make it feel new again. Switching courses will give you the opportunity to hit different shots (I was able to pull an iron with out thinking on most par 3's after year 2) and focus more, plus, after a few years, your game will have changed at least a little. You can always play the 9 hole course while the other is closed for the season.

Unless I was at a top tier course, I probably wouldn’t hesitate to change courses. A change of scenery is nice and it’s an opportunity to potentially meet new people. I gave up my membership at a private club so I would have the opportunity to play more public courses in the area and I really enjoyed. I just missed the freedom that comes with a private club. Switch courses! You won’t regret it
That's the up and downside of a membership. As a member with an unlimited golf package, you hate to pay to play other courses when it was already paid for at your home course. But not being a member and paying daily green fees at other courses can get expensive in a hurry if you golf a lot!

For comparison, there is a 9 hole course I play sometimes near the San Diego Bay. Par 29, 1100 yards, $16 weekend rounds, plays in about 90 mins. It's in a little bar district near the Navy barracks and sort of functions as a drinking sport. Fun if you are in the area but not a great course by any means...

Their unlimited golf membership is $1200 a year!

I don't get how you could NOT buy 2 annual memberships for $350 total!

I too would go with the dual memberships. Options are always a plus.

I know your golf season is shorter up there but those annual rates are so incredibly low you really should join both. Even a cold year should get you 6 months of golf weather up there and if you only had a chance to play once every 10 days during the season you'd still be under $20 a round. My bet is you'll play more often than that being walking distance to one of your courses. H3LL, I'd pay the extra $240 in a blink just to have access to a decent practice range that close for 6 months a year. You're getting access to the course too.

Last edited:
Goodness.. What a deal for both memberships. Get both and give yourself options man!

To add: I wouldn't leave my current club because all my buddies I golf with are members there, so I'd lose that network of friends and all the camaraderie - we golf together 3 to 4 days a week, every week. If I did most of my golfing solo and that wasn't an issue, I'd go wherever was most convenient and worked best for me.

Not to hijack but same here. I’d leave my current club but all my friends are here. they’re older so, it happens.
To the OP, $240 a year, like all 12 months. I’m deeper than that at 2 courses A MONTH each.

Thanks everyone.

Slight correction on the information - sorry for the unintentional exaggeration. The limited membership is $250. The full membership is $325 which is still cheap and what I'll go with. Carts are of course extra, but walking is always allowed. I just have to make the purchase by January.

I've been debating the dual membership. Even though the Caberfae Peaks membership for $99 per year is cheap and the course is fun, I think as @MONTANTK and @dAS0 suggested, a change of scenery might do some good.

There are a half dozen public courses within 20-25 minutes of my house. All offer memberships for $500 or less and most are well-maintained (though none will likely make anyone's top 100 list). I play those courses every year - mostly during the off season when the rates are lower but often throughout the summer as well. The greens fees are $30 or less for walking on most of those courses. They're public courses so they can get busy.

The convenience of golf this close only makes sense the more I think about it. I don't know if they have club championships, but that's something I'd like to try if given the opportunity. The course is unique. At 5817 yards, the 5 par 3's are long (for me) - 163, 190, 202, 209 and 147, while the par 5's are short - 444, 514, 406 and 489.

For that kind of money I would highly consider doing both.

Back