Changing iron lofts

oiler3535

Reaction score
Handicap
So I got new irons and felt they were significantly shorter than my old GI irons. Last fall I really focused and used my gps to measure. My 7i and 8i are both about 6 yards shorter, with the PW about 3 and the 9i in between. If I was getting a whole new set I wouldn't care, but I had my distance gaps exactly where I wanted them (15yds btw wedges and hybrids/woods, and 10 between irons). Now I've got a bigger gap from 7i to my 5.5 hybrid. I'm thinking of getting my irons bent a bit strong to regain my desired gaps. I'm thinking 2* for the 7/8, 1.5* for the 9i and 1* for the PW. Sound about right? And yes I know it'll change the bounce by the same amount. Not worried about it. Thanks!

I think it should depend on launch and spin for your swing. You could always experiment with it though. I play my irons 2* strong but that was at the advice of a fitter due to launch, spin, and optimizing ball speed.

it's good that you have already thought of the bounce issue, because honestly that would be a problem for me. i have come to appreciate bounce very much! i had my irons bent weak, not because they were going too far but because they weren't going far enough! getting the ball up faster and keeping it in the air gave me the distance i needed. similar to -crw- this was at the behest of my fitter.

I personally wouldn't be worrying about 3-8yds loss. If I was seeing 10+ I would then be in the pondering of whether to bend or not. I look at lofts before I consider a purchase and then see what the distance is like when demo'ng. I prefer a 45-47* pw and then 4* gaps Thursday 5i and maybe 4i. At that point it could be 2-4* thru hybrids and woods as long a is can keep about a 12 yd gap

I personally wouldn't be worrying about 3-8yds loss. If I was seeing 10+ I would then be in the pondering of whether to bend or not. I look at lofts before I consider a purchase and then see what the distance is like when demo'ng. I prefer a 45-47* pw and then 4* gaps Thursday 5i and maybe 4i. At that point it could be 2-4* thru hybrids and woods as long a is can keep about a 12 yd gap

Problem is that my home course has many shots in the range where leaving a big gap where it is. Would really help shortening that 7i to hybrid gap back up. And the place I have smaller gaps (PW/AW/SW) now I don't hit nearly as often.

Problem is that my home course has many shots in the range where leaving a big gap where it is. Would really help shortening that 7i to hybrid gap back up. And the place I have smaller gaps (PW/AW/SW) now I don't hit nearly as often.

Can you just add a club between 7i and hybrid?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you just add a club between 7i and hybrid?

I could, but then have to get rid of a wedge and leave a big gap there. Until I can afford all new clubs and proper fitting to get a 13/14 yard gap all the way from 3w to my 64* wedge, I'd like the 15 in wedges and woods/hybrids And the 10 between irons I had with my old irons.

I think I was unclear in my post lol. Im really curious if people have had their irons bent strong, and if so how many yards per degree they noticed. Im hoping for 3 per.

Why not adjust the loft on the Cobra hybrid to gap better in that 5/6 spot, and work with the larger gap between the two hybrids? That moves the gap issue further down the long end of the bag, which is probably a better place to have it.

Given that they're forged and easy to bend, I'd say just try it and see what happens. You can always go back.

I could, but then have to get rid of a wedge and leave a big gap there. Until I can afford all new clubs and proper fitting to get a 13/14 yard gap all the way from 3w to my 64* wedge, I'd like the 15 in wedges and woods/hybrids And the 10 between irons I had with my old irons.

I think I was unclear in my post lol. Im really curious if people have had their irons bent strong, and if so how many yards per degree they noticed. Im hoping for 3 per.

Why not adjust the loft on the Cobra hybrid to gap better in that 5/6 spot, and work with the larger gap between the two hybrids? That moves the gap issue further down the long end of the bag, which is probably a better place to have it.

Given that they're forged and easy to bend, I'd say just try it and see what happens. You can always go back.

I like mpete's idea. What's the propose of the 64* wedge and what is it doing that the 60* can't?

I like mpete's idea. What's the propose of the 64* wedge and what is it doing that the 60* can't?

My 64* is my favourite club. I hit it in almost every situation inside 85 yards. I'd give up driver before it. I've had 3 different 60* wedges and I hate them all for everything except full swings. And my current vokey I usually hate on full swings. Something about it bugs me.

My 64* is my favourite club. I hit it in almost every situation inside 85 yards. I'd give up driver before it. I've had 3 different 60* wedges and I hate them all for everything except full swings. And my current vokey I usually hate on full swings. Something about it bugs me.

Sounds like you could pull the 60* from the bag and a a hybrid wood in between the 7i and hybrid

My favourite has become the 54* but I use an 8 iron if the pin is further back. Or if fringe is a problem the trusty hybrid makes an appearance

Sounds like you could pull the 60* from the bag and a a hybrid wood in between the 7i and hybrid

If I did that, I'd have 2 small ~10 yard gaps there, which would be fine. But I'd have a 30 yard gap from 56-64. That's way too big for me to be happy with. I'm okay adding 5 or taking off 10 yards on iron/wedge shots, buts that's my limit.

I have a somewhat similar issue. My worst gap is from 7i to 6i. 7i is roughly 165-170 yards and my 6i is 190-200. I was thinking of having the 6 and 5 bent back a bit so that the 6 is more around 180 and the 5 190. I've never done anything with angles so it makes me a little nervous as the 6i is my best club in the bag and I hate to mess it up, but that gap is just too big. My thought is to move both up 2* and then shorten the 5i shaft to 6i length (basically making it my new 6i). Are there any issues you guys see that I'm missing if I go through with it?

Back