Chasing Ball and Swing Speed on Tour?

golfunfiltered

Johnny Unhappy Pro
Reaction score
Handicap
Seems like some of the bigger names in pro golf are jumping on the Bryson train: filming themselves swinging as hard as they can to show off obscene ball/swing speeds.

Is this a trend we are likely to see continue? Why do these guys -- like Rory and Finau -- suddenly feel it necessary to show off their speed?

Because they got beat.

Loopholes. It's all about the loopholes.

Everyone has always liked to show off speed though. When looking at pitchers the fastball is the first thing that stands out and if someone can bring the heat they are looked at more. In hockey they measure the slap shot, football is how fast they are or how far a QB can throw, tennis is the speed of the serve and so on for other sports. Sure there are a lot more things that are important but those are the fun things that people like to show off. Why should golf be any different? Especially when data is starting to show that distance is a big deal.

I think it's likely to be a trend, because the attention Bryson has brought to it with his training and approach have made it publicly popular to see. Until someone starts beating him with a different approach, guys (that can) will continue to show that they're working on competing in that discipline. For their own egos, and because fans and sponsors matter, and just because it's the new cool thing.

Dear Rory,

I am very impressed with your 358 carry. I am sure it will serve you well when you **** joust over the coming tournaments with Bryson. However, any chance you could spend some more time on your putting instead? Show me some videos of dropping 30 footers, show me some videos of nailing 10 out of 10 from 10 feet, show me some videos of dropping bombs from across the green. Then I'll get excited that you can carry the ball 10 more yards.

Sincerely,
Your Fan Base

I mean. Rory will beat Bryson 9 times out of 10 head's up. I'll wager a lot on that.
Even is that were true (?), most casual fans and the people on social only know what they see. And even most of the smart ones get influenced heavily by it. And they see golf channel broadcasts, and broadcasters, focus on and show Bryson's ball speeds. They see tons of social media videos of him cranking out the mph on the range and everyone losing their mind about it. And then they saw him have a good year and win the U.S. Open despite everyone saying he couldn't. Could've seen this new video trend by other players coming from a mile away.

Dear Rory,

I am very impressed with your 358 carry. I am sure it will serve you well when you **** joust over the coming tournaments with Bryson. However, any chance you could spend some more time on your putting instead? Show me some videos of dropping 30 footers, show me some videos of nailing 10 out of 10 from 10 feet, show me some videos of dropping bombs from across the green. Then I'll get excited that you can carry the ball 10 more yards.

Sincerely,
Your Fan Base

Excellent point... Bryson’s shot gained at the U.S. Open were great in all aspects of the game, not just driving. Ultimately, you have to make putts to win.

My November Masters picks small at legal sports book can all bomb it: Rory, BD, Dustin J, Rahm and Xander but I am most expecting of above Rory to give it the early run and he may hold on.

(worked Masters 3x medical tent during medical school and played after in 86 - incredible memories including birdie on 12)

I mean. Rory will beat Bryson 9 times out of 10 head's up. I'll wager a lot on that.

I am not sure I buy that today. Bryson's win at the US Open was as much about putting and short game as being longer than everyone else. If Rory putts and wedges as well as Bryson I agree with you. Lately Rory's short game hasn't been that sharp.

I think there has always been a bit of an arms race for length but with all the social media people are sharing that more.

I am not sure I buy that today. Bryson's win at the US Open was as much about putting and short game as being longer than everyone else. If Rory putts and wedges as well as Bryson I agree with you. Lately Rory's short game hasn't been that sharp.

I think there has always been a bit of an arms race for length but with all the social media people are sharing that more.
A fair point. Bryson putted perhaps better than he ever has at Winged Foot. Certainly considering the stakes.

You're also correct about the arms race, but this is the first time (I think) we are seeing pros specifically "market" their speed on a grand scale. It feels weird.

Seems like some of the bigger names in pro golf are jumping on the Bryson train: filming themselves swinging as hard as they can to show off obscene ball/swing speeds.

Is this a trend we are likely to see continue? Why do these guys -- like Rory and Finau -- suddenly feel it necessary to show off their speed?

We will see distance gains until the pro game figures out a way other than lengthening courses to challenge them. If length is there only challenge as it has been for the past 10 years, then you will see continued distance chasing. I consider long rough as part of the lengthening as well.

Watch out for Xander IMO and Rory could go either way

"what bryson did at the us open was wrong" -rory (basically)

"hold my beer imma go be more brysony" - rory (probably)

350+ carries are fine, great, and fun to see. However, if you don't make some putts, and other short game shots, the strokes lost around, and on the green will still mean smaller pay checks.

My next question is can Tiger's, and some of the older player's backs hold up against these longer players. I think not. I'm not even sure if these fast swinging youngster's backs will hold up for very long.

It's a new trend, based on newer course set ups.

I still say grow the second cut knee high to help even the field out. Make accuracy of some importance.

Maybe add in a few snakes, and alligators where applicable.

Why are they doing it? Why do we post ANYTHING on our instagram or socials in general? It's fun, and it's fun to share.

And frankly, I wish they would do it more. I absolutely love to watch people do things I couldn't fathom doing.

Tour players in ball/club speed distance arms race is awesome and I love it.

About why they post it to social media...
old man.png

It’s called marketing. Look at all the attention to Bryson’s “brand”. The more attention a player has, the better chance he has at better paying sponsors and endorsements.

I would bet the farm there is no way Rory beats Bryson 9 out of 10 times.

If Kevin Na wins this weekend, this whole thing is kaput.

Back