Cheaper-ish Balls Survey

Cheaper-ish Balls Survey

• Total voters

kidzwitgunz

Reaction score
Handicap
Which do you vote for as a cheaper substitute for the Bridgy 330S and why?

My preference is Short Game feel/spin without loosing a ton of distance of the tee, followed by everything else..........

Also is the less compression rate of the D2 Feel noticeable when compared to the Gamer?

For cheaper golf balls, The WIlson Staff Zip works quite well for me.

I recently purchase 2 dozen used Nike One Platinum 2008 from Lostgolfballs.com - Brand Name Premium Recycled and Used Golf Balls. That ball was nice and gave some checking on the green. I have used the D2 feel and the Gamer. The D2 feel has some really nice feel(ha ha) off the club face and the putter but not much check on the green. Lots more release. The Gamer I like a lot, it does much more around the green than the D2 feel. The problem I had with it was that it cut and nicked very easily. I should probably pay more attention to the ball flight. As soon as my swing becomes more predictable, I'll do that!

Depends on what you consider cheaper. I like the Bridgestone e7+, which at ~$27/doz is about $16/doz cheaper.

If you're looking more at the $20/doz category, I haven't tried the Zip or Gamer but have been told both perform well and are 3-piece construction.

I like the Zip OK, but I lost a ton of distance off the tee.

The E6 is a great ball, but to me is noticeably firmer.

The softest ball I've tried is the Srixon Z-star. It's silly how soft this ball is.

I think that the Bridgestone TreoSoft checks up as well or better than the E6 (at least for me it does) similar balls are the Srixon Soft/Feel and AD333

I was pleased with the AD330s, but those are too soft for me. A well struck iron tore up the cover and rendered the ball useless.

I bought a bunch of Precept Lady's at $8/dozen and they work fine for me. Distance is good and feel is good around the greens.

I am geared up on golf balls for quite a while and will be playing the BS e-6, and the TF Strata Tour soft for my next 100 rounds or so. But if I were buying right now, it would be a toss up between the Volvik Crystal ball, TF Gamer ball, Wilson's Zip, or the Wilson 50/50 ball. In that order. Even the TF Freak, and TF D2 series are very playable, or user friendly if you will. They are pretty cheap at our local WalMart right now, at $11 a dozen. I have played all these balls at one time or another, and have nothing bad to say about any of them. I have found that both the Wilson balls play very well for me in colder weather. Of course, this is just my opinion, on how all these balls play for me, and my swing.:clapp:

I still like and use ProV's and NXT's as my primary golf ball, however, I'm also using the D2 Feel.

The D2 Feel carries pretty far and "sticks" pretty good. But the factor that made me "love" this ball is that I got them on sale at Targets over the Winter for $2.58/15 pack. :banana:

I bought six boxes (all they had on the shelf) and would have bought more. I gave a few boxes to my golf partner and he likes them also.

Before getting ill I was using the Pinnicle Platnum Feel and was happy with it

As a cheaper alternative i use the Srixon AD333 or the Titliest nxt tour,both get the job done at a reasonable cost.

I've been playing the Tommy Armour Silver Scot for the past year. $14.97 for a 24 pack.

Alright, keep 'em coming this has definintly opened up some interesting ideas that I had not considered!

Does anyone know if the diff in compression makes a huge difference b/w the Feel and Gamer though? Or is it one of those math things that the real world doesn't show to have an effect?

As far as the ball fitting goes when I was fitted in San Antonio a couple of months back, I was of course fitted with the B330S and anything else for that swing speed/spin differential, but sadly for Bridgestone et al, I will only pay those prices when I play in local ami's.............to my limited "ball tech" knowledge pretty much all of these choices are technically out of my "fitting range" yes?

On another note the HX Bite's do exactly that, in fact one could say they bite/spin almost too much! Kinda messed with my game a little having to go past the pin and changing my landing zone for chips/punches/flops/etc, especially with the scoring iron's. Interestingly enough I lost really only a little distance of the tee, but then again I do not have an electro-ranger and since no one follows me around I can only guess-timate at carry distance with these vs others. But this ball is really in another price point so.......:confused2:

The e7+ might work well for you if they put you in the B330 S. It has a higher compression core than the B330 RX (a little less than the B330 S I think) and runs about $18/doz cheaper than the B330 series.

Of the ones you listed in your poll I prefer the D2 Feel. Can't stand the Gamer.
The Bridgestone E6+ is a nice ball too.

I refuse to pay $30+ for a box of balls when there are so many nice alternatives out there for under $20.

The Precept Laddie-X is nice. For me, it would be a tossup between the Laddie-X and Bridgestone Treosoft.
The Top-Flite D2 Feel is nice too. The cover on those scuffs up really easily and I didnt find that the D2 spins any more than the Laddie-X.

Just tried out the Top Flite Gamer today for the back 9. Not a bad ball at all. It didn't feel quite as good as my normal e7+, but for $20/doz or less it's a solid golf ball. Since they were using temporary greens, I'll have to wait for another day to see how well it performs on a green as far as spin.

I'm looking at the E7 so I'll start checking prices, what I really want to do is actually find somewhere that has the Feel and Gamer in right now down here locally, just to compare the two.

As far as the Cally Bite it does all it's supposed to and I like it, just don't know if that extra "bite/spin" mojo is worth the extra dough when the laddie is within the same ballpark you know?

And again I might be splitting hairs in trying to squeeze all this extra performance out of what is definitly a low tier golf ball but spending less on balls during my practice rounds means I can spend more and play more than just my club!

WHy not buy in bulk and buy online then? If you want to play with a performance ball or tour ball, you can buy last years models such as the TM TP red or black or the Nike Ones for barely over $25 a dozen it seems.

Someone gave me some Dunlop Locos. I liked them.

The one I use, and it hasn't even been mentioned, is the TaylorMade Burner TP. It's a good 3 piece ball with a urethane cover for great short game performance at a mid range price. It's as long as any other mid price or premium ball I've tried, but better than any other mid priced ball for iron approaches and short game. Just my opinion, but I like it a lot. Just be sure you get the TP (Tour Preferred) version, not the regular 2 piece Burner.

Back