Cheapest way to get my handicap?

V14_Heels

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I don't understand how to get my handicap. I've read like 5 articles and I'm not sure I fully understand where I actually go on the internet to get an official handicap. I feel like i'm running into a bunch of "knock offs"?

I have the Arccos one but I kind of want to understand what the real one is.

Contact Virginia golf association. they may very well have an e-club That you can join. I have one in Missouri for people that want a GHIN but do not belong to a club.

If they don’t have a virtual club then they can guide you in the right direction.

The Grint is $19.99/year for an official handicap. I’m not sure any clubs offer them cheaper than that these days.

The Grint is $19.99/year for an official handicap. I’m not sure any clubs offer them cheaper than that these days.
Do you know if the Grint will let me retroactively go back and add scores? I have a bunch of scores saved in Arccos. Or will it make me play out x amount to get a handicap from here on out. I don't really want to ahve to use another app on the course if that makes sense.

Do you know if the Grint will let me retroactively go back and add scores? I have a bunch of scores saved in Arccos. Or will it make me play out x amount to get a handicap from here on out. I don't really want to ahve to use another app on the course if that makes sense.
Yup, I use Arccos on the course and post my scores in Grint after the round. To my knowledge it lets you post retroactive scores as well.

Looks like it’s $39.99, but still probably cheapest. Do you go back and enter hole by hole or is handicap only determined by overall score?

Looks like it’s $39.99, but still probably cheapest. Do you go back and enter hole by hole or is handicap only determined by overall score?
Oh yikes, they used to have a handicap membership for $19.99 and a pro membership for $39.99. You have the option of entering hole by hole or just posting a number. They do automatically calculate net double bogey if you go hole by hole, which is nice.

No matter what app/service you end up using, either enter your scores hole by hole or make sure you adjusted for ESC on all your scorecards (net double bogey max on any hole). If you enter overall scores without ESC adjustments, your handicap index will be inaccurate/artificially high.

No matter what app/service you end up using, either enter your scores hole by hole or make sure you adjusted for ESC on all your scorecards (net double bogey max on any hole). If you enter overall scores without ESC adjustments, your handicap index will be inaccurate/artificially high.

just when i think i know something, you post this :LOL:

VSGA is like $30 a year. If you have a home course they should be able to set that up for you.

I use the grint and have never posted my scores hole by hole nor have I adjusted it. What is esc?

In most cases I think you have to pay for the official handicap. My local course does it for 25.00, VSGA does it, Grint does it, etc. Even though I play leagues, non-local regular league and a senior league at my local course they don't even bother with official handicap. A lot of golfers don't bother with handicaps.

You just tell them (leagues or whatever) what you think your averages score is and after a few games they pretty much set it themselves. If you fudge it they will quickly know it :LOL:It works out fine and saves you 25 dollars. I may get a handicap one day just for the fun of it, or maybe not. Cannot really see a reason for it yet. :cool:

It's stuff like this that makes me not want to keep a handicap... I don't understand. I learned the Pythagorean Theorem in school (and forgot it shortly thereafter) but don't want to have to do higher math (actually I don't want to do any math) to calculate my handicap.

What does it mean NET Double Bogey Max? I'm not fishing so I have no net.:LOL:

Seriously though. What is the net double bogey max?
And the ESC?

It is 19.99 on the grint!
If you enter the scores hole by hole it will adjust for ESC.
You are welcome

Yea I found the 19.99 membership on the grint. I had to log into the website to do it. I backloaded 11 scores and so we'll see what happens tonight.

It's stuff like this that makes me not want to keep a handicap... I don't understand. I learned the Pythagorean Theorem in school (and forgot it shortly thereafter) but don't want to have to do higher math (actually I don't want to do any math) to calculate my handicap.

What does it mean NET Double Bogey Max? I'm not fishing so I have no net.:LOL:

Seriously though. What is the net double bogey max?
And the ESC?
Your handicap is 30 ish. Depending on the rating and par of the course, your course handicap will be around 27-36. For this instance, let's just say it is 36, because then it is really easy.

If your course handicap is 36, you get 2 strokes on each and every hole. For handicap purposes only, the highest score you can take on a hole is NET double bogey. Net is the score after you take your allotted handicap strokes, in this case 2 per hole. If you have a quadruple bogey or higher, you put it down as quadruple bogey for your handicap.

So say you shoot 120 with one hole 5 over par, one hole 6 over par, and one hole 7 over par. In this case, you'd take those three holes as 4 over par, because after you take your two handicap strokes, those would be double bogeys. So take 6 strokes off of the 120 and post a 114.

ESC was the old way of controlling for blow up holes. It limited the max score you could take on a hole based on your handicap. The net double bogey method is much easier, honestly.

I use the Grint for tracking as well. Not sure what version I have but they let you enter historical scores.

Your handicap is 30 ish. Depending on the rating and par of the course, your course handicap will be around 27-36. For this instance, let's just say it is 36, because then it is really easy.

If your course handicap is 36, you get 2 strokes on each and every hole. For handicap purposes only, the highest score you can take on a hole is NET double bogey. Net is the score after you take your allotted handicap strokes, in this case 2 per hole. If you have a quadruple bogey or higher, you put it down as quadruple bogey for your handicap.

So say you shoot 120 with one hole 5 over par, one hole 6 over par, and one hole 7 over par. In this case, you'd take those three holes as 4 over par, because after you take your two handicap strokes, those would be double bogeys. So take 6 strokes off of the 120 and post a 114.

ESC was the old way of controlling for blow up holes. It limited the max score you could take on a hole based on your handicap. The net double bogey method is much easier, honestly.
Thanks for the breakdown. It makes sense. So in a nutshell, stop counting at double bogey. Got it.:ROFLMAO:

No, really, those are a lot of numbers. It's gonna have to be done by a computer in my case.:ROFLMAO::oops::rolleyes:

Doesn't this depend on your handicap tho? Like 30+ doesn't even count double bogey? I thought this scales with your handicap? I'm probably just not following. I struggle to fully understand handicap.

Doesn't this depend on your handicap tho? Like 30+ doesn't even count double bogey? I thought this scales with your handicap? I'm probably just not following. I struggle to fully understand handicap.
I am not sure what you are asking, but I'll try the other extreme.

Dan plays to a 0 handicap. When he plays, the highest score he can take (only for handicapping) is a double bogey. (This was the same as the old ESC method). If he makes an 8 on a par 4 (oops), and shoots a 76 total, he posts a 74, since the highest score on that par 4 he can post is 6.

Joe plays to an 18 handicap. He made an 8 on that par 4 too. Since he gets 18 strokes, one a hole, his 8 is a net 7, net triple bogey. When he posts his score, he posts a 7, since a 7 becomes a 6 after taking a stroke off for handicap. Net double bogey.

Under the old system, ESC scaled with handicap - the max score you could take went down as handicaps went down. Now the "net double bogey" concept takes care of that and also makes it simpler for everybody.

I think i see how it works. My handicap came out much lower then I thought it would. I struggle to break a 100 but after entering 12 scores I came out to a 24.1 handicap on The Grint. Basically I'm a professional. :p

Ok so I have a question lets say I play the same tee boxes as a buddy and I have a 24 handicap and he has an 18. I'm seeing on grint when I put that in it's giving me strokes on certain holes...is it only for those holes or am i really just getting 6 strokes overall?

Ok so I have a question lets say I play the same tee boxes as a buddy and I have a 24 handicap and he has an 18. I'm seeing on grint when I put that in it's giving me strokes on certain holes...is it only for those holes or am i really just getting 6 strokes overall?
If you play match play, you get 6 strokes on the 1 through 6 ranked holes. If stroke play, you get 6 overall. It is just easier to show them as being given on the 6 holes.

Back