Custom Method

Reaction score
Handicap
Who here loves chess? I just learned how to play earlier this week and already love it. As expected for a new player I suck. I have a hard time thinking ahead and setting up traps, so as I play more, I hope to improve. I'd also like to get a super cool chess board or make one in woodshop this year and teach the family how to play. Anyone wanna share some tips/tricks here?

Last time I played chess was about 25 years ago. I was pretty good, and playing a friend who was pretty good. It was the first time we played and about two plus hours later, we stale mated.

The last chess-type game I played was Khet.

Get a Chess app for your mobile phone or one for your computer. The AI's are extremely good and you can learn by watching them. Learn some of the standard openings that allow you to get your bishops and knights out quickly to strike your opponent.

Learn to close using bishops and rooks, forcing your opponent into check situations while picking off other pieces.

All I can suggest is to keep playing against better players and see how they control the board. I used to play some online and downloaded some tutorial apps and books but never had the time to dedicate to really trying to get better.

Good luck, it is a great game.

I've only played a few times and really liked it... I don't know to many people that know how to play, so it's hard to get a game.

Chess with Friends is a great app. I used to play a lot but forgot a lot of the strategy. There are certain set ups and opening moves you should use in the beginning that really open up the board. Very generally, getting your knights and bishops out front early and controlling the center of the board helps. Also learn to sacrifice pieces in order to advance others for better position. It's a fun game with tons of strategy involved.

I used to be really good at chess, but I haven't played in a couple years. I love the game though.

Search got me to this thread....anyone play on chess.com or the app? Just started playing

Who here loves chess? I just learned how to play earlier this week and already love it. As expected for a new player I suck. I have a hard time thinking ahead and setting up traps, so as I play more, I hope to improve. I'd also like to get a super cool chess board or make one in woodshop this year and teach the family how to play. Anyone wanna share some tips/tricks here?

I find Chess to be very addicting, particularly internet chess. I play Chess all the time on Facebook. Its an excellent exercise for the mind and it helps keep you sharp all your life.

I play on game pigeon on iPhone, don’t play against dean he is really good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Search got me to this thread....anyone play on chess.com or the app? Just started playing
I played on the app some. I used to play a good bit after learning to play in 4th grade. That movie Searching for Bobby Fisher came out at that time and I wanted to be like the kid in the movie. I used to play for hours on yahoo chess back in the day. Hard to find the time nowadays though unless I play one of those lightning games, but I don't have near enough openings and end games in my head for that.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

You can go to Chess.com and play games against people and the computer and even find a coach there. Just make sure you check people's ratings and let them know you are new to the game. MTM wood makes awesome well built chess boards. I have one of his multi color sqaure chess boards. Also check your area for chess clubs, yes they have them for adults. You can join and get help/practice there too. I hope you enjoy the game as it brings a lot of enjoyment to my day.

Last edited:
Ya i play alot against the comp and just adjust the difficulty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

if you struggle to find opponents and want to truly learn the game, there are several books out there that replay games the masters played with analysis. Really helped me figure out how to analyze the game and figure out what people were trying to do. Used to set up a board, read through it, move the pieces, walk around the board to see it from other angles...worked for me. Depending on how you like to learn may or may not work for you

Books, and more books, but that is down the line. I used to read chess books when I was young and I got better. Like golf, it all depends on how much time you put into the game to become better.

Back