Chess is such a great game and years ago me and some friends would play a lot. Its been years. Speed Chess is very cool. A great movie which has some speed chess scenes in NYC is "Searching for Bobby Fisher".
I really enjoyed that movie when it first came out and haven't seen it in a long time!

I used to love to play chess. I was in the university chess club, although I couldn't tell the Queen's Gambit from the Queen's Overbite! Nobody I know plays. Maybe I'll have to check out one of the online sites. I do like to keep the brain exercised. I usually do this by working all the puzzles in the paper. Hocus Focus, Jumble, Crossword, Word Find and Cryptoquip. I still can't figure out Sudoku, although I solve one of the easy ones by accident every now and then.

I've been watching quite a bit of chess content on YouTube lately. Some of it is from the Los Angeles Chess Club and some of the same players playing games at the beach with some friendly banter and trash-talking going on. There are two youngsters (Golan and Dada) that put the hurting on the older fellows. I think they are around 7 and 9 years old. Some brutal attacks and endgames that make the older minds go numb in a hurry.

My game is weak and my line of defense crumbles in short order. I'm lost without my Queen! :unsure:

Chess is such a cool game. I was never good enough to think more then a few moves ahead, but had fun playing.

Love chess. Wish I had someone to play with.

Love chess. Wish I had someone to play with.

Play online, it's free. I signed up to chess.com and pay a fee so I am able to have a computer analyze my games or solve puzzles. It is free to just play a computer or person. It is amazing how many lost opportunities present themselves during a game. I just don't spot them in the 10 minute games I've been playing.

I've played against many players from all over the world and see many different approaches to the game. Paying the fee also shows how accurate your moves were during any game. My ranking went backwards a couple of weeks ago but it is slowly climbing as I learn new stuff.

What an absolute crazy game 6 of the World Championship today!!!

What an absolute crazy game 6 of the World Championship today!!!
Don’t spoil it, I haven’t read up on it yet, silly work

I play against a computer almost every night. It helps to put me asleep.

On a 1-10 scale I play at #3. Win a few, lose a few more. I've tried #4, and #5 few times, only to "my 6" body bagged and thrown in the dumpster.

I tried #10 once. It was over in like 9-10 moves.

My biggest problem is I play on a small phone screen, and don't see what I would normally see with all the pieces spread out. I miss stuff too often.

I love to play but I’m just not very good

GothamChess 35 minute recap on YouTube was really good
I watched the same recap.. heck of a game 6 which oddly has a high chance of predicting the victor historically

I've been on a climb recently then have been hitting a wall. I have been using basically the same opening moves and do not get blown off the board. I do need to study up more on combating the 'd4' opening from my opponents. Things get dicey when I'm playing black and that is their opening salvo. It turns into a free for all game and the skill is lacking finding the right sequence of moves to better my position. One thing I don't get to upset about is being in winning positions and having the clock run out on me. At least I'm thinking things through and hopefully the speed will come. I have totally given up on 30 seconds to 5 minute games. That's insane for a noob!

The world championship isn't necessarily over but sure looks over after the last 2 games

Today kicks off the matches for the Candidates tournament. This is the top 8 players playing across the next 3 weeks in Madrid, Spain. This tournament will determine who challenges Magnus Carlsen (should he elect to compete) for the World Chess Championship.

First match is at 9am EST today.

Everyone plays 1 match a day, 3 days in a row, then a rest day, for the next few weeks.

Some good resources to watch: https://www.chess.com/tv

The ChessTV twitch channel will be streaming with commentary. Several other streamers will be broadcasting, and others (like GothamChess) will have daily recaps.

My son has gotten into chess. I was surprised how many local tournaments are still held.

I’m not any good at chess and don’t play very often but I do find great enjoyment out of the coverage of these high level tournaments.

Maybe I could watch folks do anything if they are top dozen or so in their field…

The candidates tournament wrapped up yesterday. Was super exciting, other than resulting in a rematch of last years world championship.

The candidates tournament wrapped up yesterday. Was super exciting, other than resulting in a rematch of last years world championship.
Kind of a bummer as I didn’t find last years to be that compelling. Maybe being back a second time will settle Nepo in.

I need to find a chess book for dummies. I’ve always wanted to learn, but have never found anyone to help me walk through it and learn

Kind of a bummer as I didn’t find last years to be that compelling. Maybe being back a second time will settle Nepo in.

IF Magnus decides to play this time and not step down, i hope it’s a bloodbath and he destroys Nepo

IF Magnus decides to play this time and not step down, i hope it’s a bloodbath and he destroys Nepo
That would be compelling as well. It doesn't need to be a nail-biter. With Nepo's big blunders last year was just a little blah for me.

I need to find a chess book for dummies. I’ve always wanted to learn, but have never found anyone to help me walk through it and learn
Couldn't agree more. I played 20+ years ago quite a bit, but maybe 3 times since then. It is such a great game and both relaxing and stressful at the same time - kind of like golf can be.

Back