Chicago area thread (Northern IL, Milwaukee, Northern Indiana too)

I know where that is, but know nothing of the metro area golf. What courses do you like?

I've been playing Lost Marsh lately, and it's a ton of fun

In my limited experience, the best three within 30 minutes would be Cog Hill, 4 courses including the famous Dubsdread. Cantigny and I like playing at the Chevy Chase country club up north a bit. Not fancy but well kept and good staff.

In my limited experience, the best three within 30 minutes would be Cog Hill, 4 courses including the famous Dubsdread. Cantigny and I like playing at the Chevy Chase country club up north a bit. Not fancy but well kept and good staff.
I'd definitely be down to play Cog Hill, and Cantigny pretty much any time you want (love weekdays) and I can probably get a couple others in as well if you're down. The only caveat being that I'd prefer to play super early, or late morning, as I'd like to avoid rush hour. Freeway traffic around this city is bonkers.

Last Thursday, I played for the first time this season at Bloomingdale. Let's say I'm way worse than before my deployment, and I was pretty lousy back then...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Last Thursday, I played for the first time this season at Bloomingdale. Let's say I'm way worse than before my deployment, and I was pretty lousy back then...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I know where that is, but know nothing of the metro area golf. What courses do you like?

I've been playing Lost Marsh lately, and it's a ton of fun
Lost Marsh was a favorite of mine during my Chicago days. If you can get past the first 5 holes with enough balls leftover haha.

If you're going down that way, have you played Harborside International yet?

You should have let me know! I'm right there. They had a Korn Ferry tour qualifier there last Monday. They had that place running fast and greens firm firm firm. Although I'm sure they have softened things up a bit since then. Those greens are usually in incredible shape, and ball marks are fixed.

My brother has a lake house on Duck Lake so we will be back. I'll let you know when we go play without the wives :)

Lost Marsh was a favorite of mine during my Chicago days. If you can get past the first 5 holes with enough balls leftover haha.

If you're going down that way, have you played Harborside International yet?
Played Harborside many many times in my passings through Chicago. It's nice, but I don't think it's worth what they charge (and I've heard it's gone up.) But, yes, I have played it, and I do enjoy it.

I'd definitely be down to play Cog Hill, and Cantigny pretty much any time you want (love weekdays) and I can probably get a couple others in as well if you're down. The only caveat being that I'd prefer to play super early, or late morning, as I'd like to avoid rush hour. Freeway traffic around this city is bonkers.

Hey there!

Weekdays are difficult for me as I am still working. I might be able to do something super early so I get back to the office by 10 but that depends on my con call schedule, etc..

Weekends are open for me. The Ravines course at Cog Hill is very cool if you haven't played it.

Played Harborside many many times in my passings through Chicago. It's nice, but I don't think it's worth what they charge (and I've heard it's gone up.) But, yes, I have played it, and I do enjoy it.
Cant argue with that. It has been years since I have played there.

Hacker here in the truest sense of the word and getting back to golf. I'm in the west suburbs (Elmhurst) and looking for people to play a few rounds with. None of my regular friends are golfers so checking to see if anyone here is on the same situation and would enjoy playing bad golf with me. 🙂

Brian

If you are free on weekends and don't mind a drive, I know we always have 1 person cancel.

If you are free on weekends and don't mind a drive, I know we always have 1 person cancel.

Hey,

Appreciate the invite! Weekends are normally pretty open for me and I don't mind driving for a round of golf.

Brian

Looking for recommendations for instructors in the Chicago area. I've decided watching YouTube videos and self diagnosis is not my pathway to golf success 😁

The Grandaddy crew is coming to town in July to play cog hill. Where are some good non-chain restaurants to eat at around there?

The Grandaddy crew is coming to town in July to play cog hill. Where are some good non-chain restaurants to eat at around there?
I'm north of there but I know @golfunfiltered hits a few nice restauraunts near there. I think one was The Wooden Paddle and The Corner Stone Tavern looks good. Both are in Lemont not far from Cog. Damn if miracles of miracles happen tomorrow Ill drive over and play too!:D:D

15 minutes away from Cog Hill is Dell Rhea's Chicken Basket. Chicago landmark that has been around since the 30's. Fried chicken is their thing. Very casual.

I'm north of there but I know @golfunfiltered hits a few nice restauraunts near there. I think one was The Wooden Paddle and The Corner Stone Tavern looks good. Both are in Lemont not far from Cog. Damn if miracles of miracles happen tomorrow Ill drive over and play too!:D:D
15 minutes away from Cog Hill is Dell Rhea's Chicken Basket. Chicago landmark that has been around since the 30's. Fried chicken is their thing. Very casual.

Thanks for the recommendations! The chicken spot sounds awesome!

Looking for recommendations for instructors in the Chicago area. I've decided watching YouTube videos and self diagnosis is not my pathway to golf success
I'd highly recommend Tim Overman with Golf In Motion. I've been seeing him for a couple of years and have friends that do the same. He's really helped my game. And I'm sure he'd give you a free swing evaluation if you tell him I sent you.

Here's my swing journey thread as well where I post all my lesson videos and updates.

[/URL]

Long shot here but I purchased 2 tickets to this Friday's Cubs game vs the Cardinals thinking I was going to Chicago this weekend and wanted to see a game. It's the first game where the stadium will be allowed to be at 100% capacity and unfortunately I'm unable to go now. If anyone is interested I'll eat all the BS fees and stuff and sell tickets below what I paid. Let me know if interested.

Just found this thread and glad I did! I've lurked for quite some time here and golfwrx, but have finally kicked myself in the ass as an adult to try and play more golf. I am around the Humbolt/Logan area, so truly in a golf desert. Wife and I also share a car - lol. That said - I am always looking to get out early on the weekends or during the week where I can. Lot's of good tips on courses here too. I grew up playing a lot as a kid in the north suburbs but am trying to expand horizons outward. I'm about an 18 handicap (at best lol) so fair warning. Would love to find others to get out there with!

Where is a good spot for food near Downer's Grove?

Thanks

Back