Chicago area thread (Northern IL, Milwaukee, Northern Indiana too)

I just noticed your golf lesson video was at Pro Circle! Man, I'm disappointed to know that it was there and that's how it turned out :arrogant:

Trying to form a get together for us THPers in the Chicagoland area. Would love to meet and get to play with some of you guys, especially after following the Morgan Cup. Trying to give a good amount of time for a heads up, so looking about middle of August and beyond. All I know now is I'm available August 17th, and then each weekend after that I have available right now. I'm ok with driving a little ways to meet up. I live up in Northern Illinois, in Ingleside. So IL and WI courses work for me.

If we get some people that are interested, throw out some course ideas. Or we can try and pick something in the middle of where everyone is. I'd definitely be interested in playing a new course.

I'd be interested. August is looking pretty open for me on both weekdays (as long as I'm not abusing it) and weekends. I'd be interested in playing thunderhawk since you mentioned it. With THPers, I'd rather play nicer courses since I know it'll be a good time. I'm near downtown so it's the same for me travelling in any direction. I eventually want to take on cog hill #4 with THPers too.

I'd be interested. August is looking pretty open for me on both weekdays (as long as I'm not abusing it) and weekends. I'd be interested in playing thunderhawk since you mentioned it. With THPers, I'd rather play nicer courses since I know it'll be a good time. I'm near downtown so it's the same for me travelling in any direction. I eventually want to take on cog hill #4 with THPers too.

I could potentially do a weekday if it were maybe a Friday late morning/early afternoon. I'm running real low on vacation days; a half day on a Friday might work. I would do Thunderhawk, it is a great course. At the risk of sounding cheap, I have a tough time justifying $80+ for a round of golf. So, don't know if 3 pm would work for others (drops to $57 at 3), or they usually have tee times on EZlinks for a good deal, depending on how many people go.

Trying to form a get together for us THPers in the Chicagoland area. Would love to meet and get to play with some of you guys, especially after following the Morgan Cup. Trying to give a good amount of time for a heads up, so looking about middle of August and beyond. All I know now is I'm available August 17th, and then each weekend after that I have available right now. I'm ok with driving a little ways to meet up. I live up in Northern Illinois, in Ingleside. So IL and WI courses work for me.

If we get some people that are interested, throw out some course ideas. Or we can try and pick something in the middle of where everyone is. I'd definitely be interested in playing a new course.

sounds fun, but august is a bad month for me. Im out of town in LV for most of Augusts weekends. keep me posted though and i might be able to manuever a few things around if possible ...

sounds fun, but august is a bad month for me. Im out of town in LV for most of Augusts weekends. keep me posted though and i might be able to manuever a few things around if possible ...

I'm not opposed to September either. Anything August 17th or later pretty much.

Here's some of the nicer courses around my area (I have not been to all of them, but have heard good things):

Thunderhawk (Beach Park, IL)
Bonnie Brook (Waukegan, IL)
Stonewall Orchard (Grayslake, IL)
Chalet Hills (Cary, IL)
Foxford Hills (Cary, IL)
Steeple Chase (Mundelein, IL)
Countryside (Mundelein, IL)
Pine Meadow (Mundelein, IL)
Bittersweet (Gurnee, IL)
White Deer Run (Vernon Hills, IL)
Midlane (Wadsworth, IL)
Makray Memorial (Barrington, IL)
Shepherd's Crook (Zion, IL)

That's really just a small list. I'm sure there's several others I missed, or even ones a little further away.

Here's some of the nicer courses around my area (I have not been to all of them, but have heard good things):

Thunderhawk (Beach Park, IL)
Bonnie Brook (Waukegan, IL)
Stonewall Orchard (Grayslake, IL)
Chalet Hills (Cary, IL)
Foxford Hills (Cary, IL)
Steeple Chase (Mundelein, IL)
Countryside (Mundelein, IL)
Pine Meadow (Mundelein, IL)
Bittersweet (Gurnee, IL)
White Deer Run (Vernon Hills, IL)
Midlane (Wadsworth, IL)
Makray Memorial (Barrington, IL)
Shepherd's Crook (Zion, IL)

That's really just a small list. I'm sure there's several others I missed, or even ones a little further away.

Id vote for 1) thunderhawk 2) Makray Mem 3) Countryside ---- ive yet to play any of these 3 courses but ive heard only really positive things about each ...

I am venturing up north and playing thunderhawk on Sunday. It is one of my favorite Chicagoland courses.

Only a few minutes from my house - really like Thunderhawk. How did the round go?

I might play this weekend if I find a game. Never played thunderhawk. First time I've ever heard of it actually. I've only played one of the Harborside courses. I played Cog Hill #2 a few weeks ago. That's a really nice facility over there. One day when I feel like torturing myself I'm going to play #4. People tell me it's brutal... and it's $155.

I could potentially do a weekday if it were maybe a Friday late morning/early afternoon. I'm running real low on vacation days; a half day on a Friday might work. I would do Thunderhawk, it is a great course. At the risk of sounding cheap, I have a tough time justifying $80+ for a round of golf. So, don't know if 3 pm would work for others (drops to $57 at 3), or they usually have tee times on EZlinks for a good deal, depending on how many people go.

To the Chicago THPers, I'm actually taking my first vacation days of the year, next week, and plan on playing mid-week rounds at least 3 days, so let me know who's up for a round North, South, West, where ever.

Only a few minutes from my house - really like Thunderhawk. How did the round go?

To the Chicago THPers, I'm actually taking my first vacation days of the year, next week, and plan on playing mid-week rounds at least 3 days, so let me know who's up for a round North, South, West, where ever.

I'm looking at Highlands of Elgin around 4pm wed if the weather is ok....mid week is usually a no go but my wife is taking the kids to her sisters and staying for dinner. $25 to walk after 4...

I'm looking at Highlands of Elgin around 4pm wed if the weather is ok....mid week is usually a no go but my wife is taking the kids to her sisters and staying for dinner. $25 to walk after 4...

Wednesday, next week? I might be able to do that - would love to play Highlands, again. Only other round there was the THP Invitational in early July. $25 to walk sounds like a good deal.

Anyone else in for this and/or another day?

Last edited:
Wednesday, next week? I might be able to do that - would love to play Highlands, again. Only other round there was the THP Invitational in early July. $25 to walk sounds like a good deal.

Anyone else in for this and/ or another day?

Man, I want to, but there's no way I can swing a mid week round right now.

Anyone else in for this and/ or another day?
Yep, wed the 7th....p.m. me if this is going to work out for you or even if something else looks better, i work in the area till about 3:30 Bowes Creek is good too but not quite as easy on the wallet....
could do Golf Club of Illinois as well. If we could get 4 that would be fun.

Id vote for 1) thunderhawk 2) Makray Mem 3) Countryside ---- ive yet to play any of these 3 courses but ive heard only really positive things about each ...

I've never played Makray, it looks pretty nice. I'm really ok with anywhere. With Thunderhawk and Makray, however, I'd probably be looking at playing at 3 pm at Thunderhawk and 2 pm at Makray. I just don't have the budget right now to be spending near $100 on a round of golf.

Sounds like we have some interest, and should be able to get a foursome together at the least. Maybe we should try to set a tentative date.

Also got an email today that Shepherd's Crook has a steal of a deal in August. $35 with a cart after 1 pm on the weekends, or $40 any time during the week (Friday for me).

Yep, wed the 7th....p.m. me if this is going to work out for you or even if something else looks better, i work in the area till about 3:30 Bowes Creek is good too but not quite as easy on the wallet....
could do Golf Club of Illinois as well. If we could get 4 that would be fun.

Man! Bowes Creek is a good course as well, though a little more pricey. I'm open for a weekend round on Saturday, Aug 10, too. Wonder if we can get a group together for the 10th? What about it manlai, Tbonafide, Kozmo, DLeavitt, coughlin, others?

I've never played Makray, it looks pretty nice. I'm really ok with anywhere. With Thunderhawk and Makray, however, I'd probably be looking at playing at 3 pm at Thunderhawk and 2 pm at Makray. I just don't have the budget right now to be spending near $100 on a round of golf.

Sounds like we have some interest, and should be able to get a foursome together at the least. Maybe we should try to set a tentative date.

Late afternoon @ Thunderhawk is great. I walked a late afternoon round earlier this month - really enjoyable. Doesn't have to be a pricey course as far as I'm concerned.

Man! Bowes Creek is a good course as well, though a little more pricey. I'm open for a weekend round on Saturday, Aug 10, too. Wonder if we can get a group together for the 10th? What about it manlai, Tbonafide, Kozmo, DLeavitt, coughlin, others?

I'm booked on the 10th helping my brother move. All are welcome to join :alien:
I'll definitely keep an eye on this thread for a date that works though.

Also got an email today that Shepherd's Crook has a steal of a deal in August. $35 with a cart after 1 pm on the weekends, or $40 any time during the week (Friday for me).

Got the same email. My last round at SC, I was playing 18 directly into a gorgeous sunset. When the wind is blowing - some of the holes become real tests.

sure I'm in. My month is pretty open and I want to fill it with as much golf as possible. You still owe me a round because you had to work or some other lame excuse :)

I'm booked on the 10th helping my brother move. All are welcome to join :alien:
I'll definitely keep an eye on this thread for a date that works though.

No worries - we have a 3 good months of golf weather left. Plenty of time to find another day.

sure I'm in. My month is pretty open and I want to fill it with as much golf as possible. You still owe me a round because you had to work or some other lame excuse :)

Yeah, yeah, yeah... Let's see who we can pull together for the 10th, then.

10th also doesn't work for me. My wife wants me to take our daughter's 2 year pictures and our son's 6 month pictures that weekend. She wants to leave both days open in case of rain. It's possible I may be able to join last minute, but I wouldn't know til then.

You could count me in. Just let me know when and where.

Man! Bowes Creek is a good course as well, though a little more pricey. I'm open for a weekend round on Saturday, Aug 10, too. Wonder if we can get a group together for the 10th? What about it manlai, Tbonafide, Kozmo, DLeavitt, coughlin, others?.
Would love to join you guys, but I'll be on vaca till the 15th. Maybe next time. Have fun guys. BTW... Makray is a great course!!!

Would love to join you guys, but I'll be on vaca till the 15th. Maybe next time. Have fun guys. BTW... Makray is a great course!!!

Enjoy some time away - maybe take any rainy weather with you, so it's clear for golfing, here? :alien:

Back