Chicago area thread (Northern IL, Milwaukee, Northern Indiana too)

manlai

Reaction score
Handicap
luck
Hello people, didn't see a Chicago area thread and thought I would start one so people can talk all things local and maybe play some golf together. I'm always up for a round, especially on Saturdays and occasionally the sneak-out-of-the-office-weekday round. :)

Also, where do you guys hit the range? I've been going to Fresh Meadow of late because of grass tees and late hours and I guess not too bad a drive from downtown. Diversey is awful and I try to avoid that at all costs.

On a side note, Go Hawks!

How about a round July 6th? :D

Hello people, didn't see a Chicago area thread and thought I would start one so people can talk all things local and maybe play some golf together. I'm always up for a round, especially on Saturdays and occasionally the sneak-out-of-the-office-weekday round. :)

Also, where do you guys hit the range? I've been going to Fresh Meadow of late because of grass tees and late hours and I guess not too bad a drive from downtown. Diversey is awful and I try to avoid that at all costs.

I've been to Fresh Meadows many times, but I usually go to Links & Tees when I practice. PM me if your ever looking for a round. GO HAWKS!!!!!

Yea. There will be 25 of us to play with on July 6th. Some traveling from as far away 1,200 miles. Would be awesome if all the Chicago area folks in town that weekend would consider joining us since we've put a ton of time into organizing the thing.

If you guys haven't seen the course for the Illinois Inv. on July 6th, that might make you want to go. That, plus playing with THPers. Always good.

If you guys haven't seen the course for the Illinois Inv. on July 6th, that might make you want to go. That, plus playing with THPers. Always good.

The invitational could be at Senior Rodrigo's Miniature Golf and I would be there. Just to hang out with THPers.

I've been to Fresh Meadows many times, but I usually go to Links & Tees when I practice. PM me if your ever looking for a round. GO HAWKS!!!!!

Yea Links and Tees is practically right next door to you. I'm near downtown so I have a bit of a trek if I'm going anywhere but Diversey for range time. Fresh Meadow is the next closest as far as I can tell. There used to be another range off 290 near harlem but they closed a while ago.

Depending on where you are in the city, the Skokie Sports Park range near Oakton and McCormick might be convenient. It's only mats, but it's covered, heated, has auto-tees, and usually has open bays (I waited for about 5 min today, for the first time ever).

I typically play on the north shore, but looking forward to new options out west when we move Ina few weeks.

Depending on where you are in the city, the Skokie Sports Park range near Oakton and McCormick might be convenient. It's only mats, but it's covered, heated, has auto-tees, and usually has open bays (I waited for about 5 min today, for the first time ever).

I typically play on the north shore, but looking forward to new options out west when we move Ina few weeks.

grats on the move! Where are you moving to?

I'm in old town so pretty near the center. How much are buckets at Skokie? I usually go to White Pines in the winter because of the dome.

Heading to Batavia which is just north of Aurora. Gonna be convenient for the invitational!

In Skokie, you pay by the ball and I thinks it's $0.11. Kinda pricey, but you only pay for the balls you use that way. There's a bonus when you load your card. $20 gets you $22; $50 gets an extra $5.

From Old Town, it might not be any closer. When I lived in Lincoln Square, it was pretty easy to get to.

I hate being chopped liver. :D

I hate being chopped liver. :D

Chicago must be a huge place where not even Chicago-ians can get to a THP event that is being held, just outside of Chicago...

:alien:

Chicago must be a huge place where not even Chicago-ians can get to a THP event that is being held, just outside of Chicago...

:alien:

That is not what I was saying. People miss events for all kinds of reasons. It was just a bit funny how this thread went, that's all.

That is not what I was saying. People miss events for all kinds of reasons. It was just a bit funny how this thread went, that's all.

I know this as well as any person. You know that.

Amen to that. I wish that I were still going to the Illinois Invitational but family comes first. Playing golf with THPers would be a blast just like the Ohio Invitational was and Id of course have to make a little side trip to Wisconsin to pick up a few cases of Spotted Cow.

I just wanted a spot for some local discussion, no chopped liver intended. Should have known better considering the timing

i frequent the fresh meadow range (off York and 22nd) occasionally. Its cheap but the range balls there are absolute garbage. i usually only hit half the balls in my bucket because i dont want my club face getting ripped up .... Funny you also mention the Diversey Range because i live 2 blocks from there (at Diversey and Clark) ... its expensive and always busy but convenient...

I think i have played just about every public course In the chicagoland area so if anybody needs recomendations/photos/reviews , just ask away....

Any advice on good range/practice facilities in the far-western suburbs? Near Batavia, Geneva, Aurora, etc. I don't need anything fancy, but grass tees and a chipping/putting area would be nice.

Any advice on good range/practice facilities in the far-western suburbs? Near Batavia, Geneva, Aurora, etc. I don't need anything fancy, but grass tees and a chipping/putting area would be nice.
I really like st. Andrews practice facility .... Located in the town West Chicago. I don't frequent that far west except for rounds at orchard valley every once in a while.

I really like st. Andrews practice facility .... Located in the town West Chicago. I don't frequent that far west except for rounds at orchard valley every once in a while.

Just played orchard valley. It was in very good shape and I was thrilled at how well run it was. Tee times were booked up in the hours before and after my time and I still got done in about 4 hours. barely had to wait all day. The only hold up was me almost passing out from laughter when I rolled up on the green and saw the guy on the next hole hit his tee shot into the water. That wasn't the funny part. The guy then threw his club overhead style like it was one of those throwing battle axes in the movies. The club spun end over end until it banged against the cart path. I was rolling on the ground trying not to laugh too loud so that he would hear.

Anyway, any other grass tee with short game area practice facilities nearest to the city to recommend? I have noticed that Fresh Meadow balls are getting worse and worse. Most of my bucket last week was either cracked or worn smooth. It'd be nice if it was open after dark since evenings are usually the only times I can get out there.

Stony Creek in Oak Lawn has an executive course and grass hitting stations. I played there with some buddies and it was a pretty good park district course. The Golf Center of Des Plaines has 3 levels of mats, grass areas, a short game area, and a lighted par-3 9 hole course. I don't know which one would be closer for you, but I grew up in Oak Park, and I agree that Fresh Meadows isn't a very good range.

anybody played Bowes Creek before? Its located in Elgin, IL.... Im teein it up for the first time there tmrw for the holiday. Its got a "member for a day" type green fees so im hoping to play 27 or 36 tmrw ...

Just played it 3 weeks ago. We played 36. You will love the course, one of the best in the area IMO

Make sure you get there early enough so you can take advantage of the awesome driving range and short game area

Back