Chicago area thread (Northern IL, Milwaukee, Northern Indiana too)

fairwaynut;n8895010 said:
Hey Brassie

There are a number of courses here in the area, that would fit the bill. St. Andrews is good either the #1 course or the Joe Jemsek are good. Hilldale is a great course, have played there many times over the years. Also for your consideration would be Bloomingdale Golf course and Bartlet Hills. You might also enjoy the Eaglewood Resort course. The Highlands of Elgin is a better course and is a links style course.

Thanks fairwaynut!

I was completely unaware of Bloomingdale and Eaglewood. Just looked both of them up online and both look great for how I want to restart by easing back into it, without playing monster penal courses right out of the gate. I know I'm going to be a bit wayward at first and want to still enjoy being out finding my way again, without being punished too much. For about 15 years when I lived in south FL, I played between a 6, to an 8 hdcp on courses with 135 - 145 Slope. I'm much older now and haven't played in 15 years... so I'm trying to figure out what kind of a swing and game I can realistically have now.

Good to know Hilldale is great... it is very close to me. I've been to the range there and it is ok but very minimal. The practice putting green is better. They've got no practice bunkers, so I've yet to hit any bunker shots. Are the practice facilities better at St Andrews? IIRC, they seem to boast that on their website.

The other day I spotted the Highlands course in this thread and looked it up. It looks great! And as soon as I can get some consistency in my game, I will definitely give that one a try.

How is the Cary course? or how about the Schaumburg course?

I appreciate your inputs!

Brassie;n8895062 said:
Thanks fairwaynut!

I was completely unaware of Bloomingdale and Eaglewood. Just looked both of them up online and both look great for how I want to restart by easing back into it, without playing monster penal courses right out of the gate. I know I'm going to be a bit wayward at first and want to still enjoy being out finding my way again, without being punished too much. For about 15 years when I lived in south FL, I played between a 6, to an 8 hdcp on courses with 135 - 145 Slope. I'm much older now and haven't played in 15 years... so I'm trying to figure out what kind of a swing and game I can realistically have now.

Good to know Hilldale is great... it is very close to me. I've been to the range there and it is ok but very minimal. The practice putting green is better. They've got no practice bunkers, so I've yet to hit any bunker shots. Are the practice facilities better at St Andrews? IIRC, they seem to boast that on their website.

The other day I spotted the Highlands course in this thread and looked it up. It looks great! And as soon as I can get some consistency in my game, I will definitely give that one a try.

I appreciate your inputs!

I play Schaumburg once a month and it's a nice course - 2-9's have been just reinvated and they are doing the last nine now - Good Walking course
I play Eaglewood every Sunday - another nice course - can play pretty cheap during the week - Got to hit it straight thou, Fairways are narrow.

Brassie ;n8895062 said:

I've been playing Cary Country Club since the late 70's. It is an awesome course. Not real long but up and down if you know what I mean. I'll be playing there sometime in September if you would like to join me. Another course up in Cary you should try is Foxford Hills. It's an awesome course. Schaumburg is just finishing up the redoing of all three of their nine hole courses and they are in great shape. I play with with a friend who plays in a Senior League on Tuesday mornings there. I haven't played there this summer but have played there in the past. I always enjoy that course.

Last edited:
Iceman!;n8895075 said:
I play Schaumburg once a month and it's a nice course - 2-9's have been just reinvated and they are doing the last nine now - Good Walking course
I play Eaglewood every Sunday - another nice course - can play pretty cheap during the week - Got to hit it straight thou, Fairways are narrow.

OK, thanks for the input! Duly noted on Eaglewood.

fairwaynut;n8895084 said:
I've been playing Cary Country Club since the late 70's. It is an awesome course. Not real long but up and down if you know what I mean. I'll be playing there sometime in September if you would like to join me. Another course up in Cary you should try is Foxford Hills. It's an awesome course. Shaumburg is just finishing up the redoing of all three of their nine hole courses and they are in great shape. I play with with a friend who plays in a Senior League on Tuesday mornings there. I haven't played there this summer but have played there in the past. I always enjoy that course.

Up and down I take as hilly, a lot of elevation changes. Not something I'm real familiar with being a south Florida golfer. LOL! I know it puts a premium on getting club selection correct.

Foxford Hills, another one I've never heard of... and it looks to be one I should reserve for when I have some game playing consistency established.

Noted on Schaumburg.

Where can I find a really good outdoor practice facility? St Andrews mentions on their webpage theirs is very good... is it true? Do they actually have a fairway bunker to hit balls from? Do they have a practice green with bunkers to practice bunker shots from? When I lived at PGA National in Palm Beach Gardens, it had all of that times 2. Two giant ranges with everything you need. I used it 4 - 5 times a week. Haven't seen anything close to that up here yet.

Brassie ;n8895098 said:
Where can I find a really good outdoor practice facility? St Andrews mentions on their webpage theirs is very good... is it true? Do they actually have a fairway bunker to hit balls from? Do they have a practice green with bunkers to practice bunker shots from? When I lived at PGA National in Palm Beach Gardens, it had all of that times 2. Two giant ranges with everything you need. I used it 4 - 5 times a week. Haven't seen anything close to that up here yet.

There is a driving range on Lake Street called Green Valley which is nice. I'm not real familiar with other practice ranges but I think St Andrews has everything you've mentioned.

fairwaynut;n8895151 said:
There is a driving range on Lake Street called Green Valley which is nice. I'm not real familiar with other practice ranges but I think St Andrews has everything you've mentioned.

There is a Golf shop at Green Valley called Chicago Bill's run by Mark and Norris - Good people to get know when it comes to equipment.
Hard to find a Practice facility like what you are looking for. Prairie Landing is about the best I've seen in near west suburbs.

Went to Green Valley a couple of weeks ago, my 1st time out in 15 yrs and only hit my Mizuno 8 iron. I didn't look around much but I hit off of a mat because when you walk out, that is what is right in front of you. Mats are not my preference but will do in a pinch. I did meet Norris, nice guy!

I'll check out St Andrews this weekend or maybe Prairie Landing for range work. Per Iceman's suggestion, I looked online at the PL practice facility and it is really good looking! That's what we're talking about! I used to be a range rat and then play 2-3 times a week. I was hitting golf balls almost every day back then.

Have gotten some of my clubs regripped at Chicago Bills over the years but have really never met the owners. I have heard good things from some friends and other golfers I've met about Chicago Bills though.

fairwaynut;n8895340 said:
Have gotten some of my clubs regripped at Chicago Bills over the years but have really never met the owners. I have heard good things from some friends and other golfers I've met about Chicago Bills though.

What's nice about it is... that it isn't a mega chain. I tend to support those types of places. When I was there, Norris was re-shafting some clubs back in the shop and I waited until he got finished to talk with him.

Iceman!;n8895164 said:
There is a Golf shop at Green Valley called Chicago Bill's run by Mark and Norris - Good people to get know when it comes to equipment.
Hard to find a Practice facility like what you are looking for. Prairie Landing is about the best I've seen in near west suburbs.

I looked at Prairie Landing online and it looks great! Just what I'm looking for. Many thanks for the tip!

JB;n8895013 said:
Can't believe this, but on my way back to Chicago. Leave on Tuesday or Wednesday and just there for 2 days before heading to the big THP Event where the winners get to create their own Truvis with Budget Golf.

Still jealous about that event lol

I think St Andrews has everything you've mentioned.

I spent 3.5 hrs at St Andrews practice facility today. It is more than adequate and takes care of most of my needs. It's only 15 minutes from where I live, so it will be the primary place I'll go to now.

I go to the Chicago area every Labor Day for an annual family get together. Next year I am going to plan on bringing my sticks and seeing if any THPers would be able to get together. I’ve only played at Harbor Side once around Chicago and that was an outright travesty of play by me. I think I was in every bunker.

Anyway, I will set my calendar for August to see if anyone will be available next year.

fairwaynut;n8895084 said:
I've been playing Cary Country Club since the late 70's. It is an awesome course. Not real long but up and down if you know what I mean. I'll be playing there sometime in September if you would like to join me. Another course up in Cary you should try is Foxford Hills. It's an awesome course. Schaumburg is just finishing up the redoing of all three of their nine hole courses and they are in great shape. I play with with a friend who plays in a Senior League on Tuesday mornings there. I haven't played there this summer but have played there in the past. I always enjoy that course.

Played Cary CC first time couple weeks ago. Definitely enjoyable with some tough driving holes. Greens protect that course with their slope back to front. Foxford is fun along with Chalet Hills. Golf Now has a lot of specials for those three courses.

Sitting in my hotel room and its just so gray. Someone let the sun out please.

JB;n8898149 said:

Go to the Caddyshack bar or something.

golfunfiltered;n8898220 said:
Go to the Caddyshack bar or something.

Is it sunny there? haha. Heck I can walk to a number of good places : )

JB;n8898149 said:

better grey than the 3" of rain we got this morning out west

Just an FYI for the northern suburbs guys TopGolf is about 6 weeks from opening in Schaumburg. Just got a part time job for a little side money. Let me know if any of you guys ever go once it’s open

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m looking
Just an FYI for the northern suburbs guys TopGolf is about 6 weeks from opening in Schaumburg. Just got a part time job for a little side money. Let me know if any of you guys ever go once it’s open

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I look forward to it opening. Naperville is great, but it will be nice to have one much closer.

Playing with the big dog @Golf Dawg on Saturday and Sunday - 1 pm at Cary CC and 10:33 am at RedTail FC in Lakewood. Dinner at Crystal Lake Portillo’s Sat night (please let it not be Camp Crystal Lake....)

Holla!

Playing with the big dog @Golf Dawg on Saturday and Sunday - 1 pm at Cary CC and 10:33 am at RedTail FC in Lakewood. Dinner at Crystal Lake Portillo’s Sat night (please let it not be Camp Crystal Lake....)

Holla!
Good luck! Been raining all day. Highs in the 40's tomorrow with 15+ mph winds. Sunny at least

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Holla!
Brave soul....

Back