Childhood Cafeteria Food

You got a cherry tomato? Fancy. We just got the ole tomato wedge on top of the shredded iceberg lettuce. Every once in a while we got a cucumber slice thrown in.
would have killed for a cucumber.

Grade school and middle school, French bread pizza day was my favorite.

Highschool was the ball game nacho's daily with a mountain dew.

French bread pepperoni pizzas | Recipe | Bounded by Buns
Father' of Ballpark Nachos Dies in Texas - Eater
50005-280x280.jpg

Like many of you, the Mexican Pizza was the best. I think the "crust" was an English muffin. The portion size was two. Milk was 4 cents a carton (early 1960's).

Mexican pizza was unknown back then. In fact so was Mexican food in general, and Chinese food was call "Chun King" and came in cans! The closest we got was something called Spanish rice. the usuals, pizza, burgers and fries, pasta and meatballs. A real treat was when they would make apple crisp for dessert. Otherwise it always seemed to be jello that had a skin on top of it!

In grade school we had free standing milk machines that would dispense small cartons of milk. There was a rotating selector knob with 2 selections for white milk and 1 for chocolate. A carton of milk cost the princely sum of 3 cents, but we figured out how to engineer a bonus! You'd put 2 pennies in and grab the knob. You'd drop the last penny in the coin slot and you had to listen close. When it hit a certain spot you'd spin the selector know back and forth quickly. Sometimes we'd get 3 and even 4 cartons of milk out at once! Extra chocolate milk was a real plus.

So, that became an after school tradition for our little group. Hanging out and having a few milks with the boys before heading home! Childhood happy hour.

Meatball heros in high school. Sold out quick.

I always brought my lunch to school, back in the 60’s. Missed out on the delicacy of cafeteria cuisine.
Same here. My folks weren't going to pay for a lunch they could make at home. Now days most kids get a free breakfast and lunch on us..

No such thing as school lunch cafeteria in my day, NZ didn't have them, or at least not where I grew up. Home made by mum until high school when you maybe got enough lunch money to get a pie at the dairy.
Same in Australia.

We had what we call the tuck shop, short for tucker, which is Aussie slang for food.

A sausage roll in a bread roll with tomato sauce was a go to.

Rarely ate cafeteria lunches. My mom used to make the best school lunches. Toasted peanut butter sandwiches, chicken salad with chopped nuts and grapes, and homemade chicken soup in the winter. Almost always included homemade cookie or brownies.
Same for me. Some days I would sell my desert to one of my classmates. :) My mom loved to cook and make our lunches and she was great at it.

Same in Australia.

We had what we call the tuck shop, short for tucker, which is Aussie slang for food.

A sausage roll in a bread roll with tomato sauce was a go to.

Are those the same wonderfulness that Shiels and Finch eat on course at the turn?!

I always loved the stuff crust pizza. We didn’t get it often but pizza day was every Friday. The other stuff they gave us was like cardboard

Are those the same wonderfulness that Shiels and Finch eat on course at the turn?!
If they look like this:

sausage+roll+2.jpg

Then yes.

BTW, this is one I made.

Last edited:
pizza

salad bar....yes salad bar

but damn...old school 90's stromboli was the best.

We had pig in a blanket day… just a hotdog baked into what was essentially a little loaf of bread. I loved those things, and have never had anything like them anywhere else.

If they look like this:

sausage+roll+2.jpg

Then yes.

BTW, this is one I made.

SEND ME RECIPE! NOW! PLEASE! :)

I have beef allergies I get sick, but pork is fine.

Rectangle pizza, yum. Our cafeteria was run by a restaurant owner in town. We had a butter gravy, that was delish. Sometimes they would add turkey chunks to it, even better. He also made the best chicken dumpling soup, the cafeteria ladies would always burn the grilled cheese sandwiches that were served with it. They were hard, and my friends would give me theirs. I would soak them in chicken broth til they were soft. When I came home from the Marines, my Grandma and I would go to his restaurant every Tue. when chicken dumpling soup was soup of the day. Sadly, both are gone now.

And… do you remember trading foods..? Occasionally you would find someone who didn’t like an item that you did… and they would either give it to you - or, you could trade something for it.

Elementary: Chicken nuggets with honey was my favorite…

High school: fresh baked cookies was a must

Pizza day was always a favorite. Schools in our area also has a chilli day where the chilli was served in a hard tortilla bowl and covered with cheese, you ate the chilli and cheese then took out the tortilla bowl it was great.
Ooh, we had that too. Totally forgot about those, but they were good.

Back