Chili - beans or nope?

We make chili pretty often and no matter whether I make it or my wife does, it always has beans. 1 can of red kidney and 1 can of pinto beans.

I will eat it either way, but like some of the other comments if it is on a hotdog I perfer without beans. Stand alone chili is much better with beans. And cheese. And Sour Cream. And Fritos. Just sayin'!!

Wife is vegetarian. I have a no meat and beans "chiili" recipe w/veggies. :( ...yeah, I live in SF, CA. Things like that happen here.

sounds terrible on many accounts

Used to be in favor of beans but lately enjoy it more without

Chili without beans is just meat sauce.:(

Of course there's bean wouldn't it be a Sloppy Joe without?

My award winning pulled pork chili is essentially a meal and I use 2 cans red, 1 can black beans. However, I’ve had many great Texas style chili’s without beans.

I use beans in mine. Several different kinds actually. But I'm pretty sure "real chili" is beanless

Majorly divisive topic in my household. I agree true chili has NO BEANS. My wife thinks thats stupid and who cares. She makes it with all sorts of stuff in it, more of a chili stew.... its really good. :ROFLMAO:

My award winning pulled pork chili is essentially a meal and I use 2 cans red, 1 can black beans. However, I’ve had many great Texas style chili’s without beans.
Please share this recipe (y)

I like it with or without, as long as the flavor is good :drinks:

Without is true chili
With is still chili, but an adaptation
Skyline is the devil's work.

See, I totally understand this. I have won a couple of Chili Contests in Texas too. WITHOUT ! also without sending a judge to the ER after tasting. I really hate it when people think you have to hurt someone to win a Chili cookoff . Nothing wrong with good tasty Chili

For a bowl of chili, yes on the beans. For a chili dog, no beans.

Please share this recipe (y)

I like it with or without, as long as the flavor is good :drinks:
Shoot me a PM with your email - I have it saved on my google drive.

Full disclosure - it takes, no exaggeration 2 days to cook and the 3rd day after the flavors all settle in its the best I think.

I like beans in my chili so I put them in there.

I will eat it either way, but like some of the other comments if it is on a hotdog I perfer without beans. Stand alone chili is much better with beans. And cheese. And Sour Cream. And Fritos. Just sayin'!!

We may slightly disagree on the beans (good chili is good chili, beans or no), but I’ll entirely endorse the cheese and sour cream notion. Gotta have something to cut the heat every few bites.

Here in Nebraska Chili has beans in it

Give me either. I'm an equal opportunity chili consumer.

Making it myself, I prefer to have beans. Out of the can, I prefer straight meat. Weird.

With beans for me. I use pinto beans when I make it. Wife uses pinto and kidney when she makes it. (We have two completely different recipes.)

Also a fan of adding cheese and sour cream, and even fresh chopped onions.

As others have noted, chili without beans is just meat sauce.

Midwestern chili means beans included except at Dixon's Chili in K.C.

Back