Chili - beans or nope?

I can confirm that chili is not a sandwich. I feel that beans are a necessity for it to be real chili. Now I’m hungry! 1614104511298.gif

Nope. No way.

Real chili has chunks of meat, not ground beef, and beans are a side dish.

With or without I love chili

First batch of the fall made! WITH beans!

I made my first batch last week, also with beans. And I have white chicken chili in the crockpot now also with beans.
White chili is criminally under appreciated.

An American relative of mine used to say “If you know beans about chili, you know chili ain't got no beans.”

I made my first batch last week, also with beans. And I have white chicken chili in the crockpot now also with beans.

the BEST type of Chili especially with a dollop of sour cream. Do you use Cannellini Beans or white Kidney beans?

Yes to beans in chili, but the meat to beans ratio needs to be about 2:1

Yes chili needs beans!

Beans in chili, unless said chili is on a coney or 3-way then no beans.

If you are a Texan, then you will say there are no beans in chili! I kind of agree! I grew up with kidney beans or others in chili, but one time, when making a big pot of it, I went to add the beans and discovered that there was no room for them! That chili turned out great! What are the beans anyway, other than space takers and filler additives!

I'm also confused by those saying that they use "beef broth" in their chili! What are you trying to do? Make it like stew? No, no, no, no, no! When I cook up a big pot of chili, which is all I do, and serve the first couple of bowls out of it, and then refrigerate it, I want it to become almost solid! It's hard to get out of the pot! My BIL makes something that he calls "hot stuff' which is kind of like chili but thinner. He saves the title "Chili" for the real thing!

Yes to los frijoles.

Hell yeah if not what is going to make you toot?

Made a large pot yesterday, so this thread was bumped just at the right time.

I'm a must always have beans kind of guy, usually red kidney. I also always sauté a onion, green pepper and a couple of jalapenos and include those. In addition to the ground beef, I sear some thin steak cuts, dice that up and throw that in as well.

Yesterday I tried something new. Instead of the usual chili powder, I made a chili paste. Steeped some dry chilis in boiling water for 30 minutes, stemmed and de-seeded. Dice them up with some adobe peppers, adobe sauce, cumin, paprika and some of the liquid from the steeping process and blended it all together. So much better than plain off the shelf chili powder (although I did add a touch because it wasn't quite hot enough for me with the paste).

Topped that sh!t with some cheese, sliced avocado, pickled jalapenos and a dollup of Daisy. Looking forward to leftovers for lunch today.

No beans. Pintos can be a side dish but are not cooked in the chili.

I made my first batch this fall 3 or 4 weeks ago when we had a few days of cool weather. The first big batch is coming soon. I’ve got to get my chili and soups in the freezer.

I like a thick chili with lots of beans and lots if meat. Beans are just as important as the meat.

Always beans. Heck I've been known to dump a can of corn in the pot as well.

I have enjoyed chili either way and I am aware (as is corroborated by the results in this thread) that in Texas, chili has no beans and chili with beans is an adaptation of the original beanless recipe.

That all said, if we're making chili, it's got beans. Dark red kidney and cannellini are our choices. It gives the chili more substance and makes it a better meal, IMO. Chili without beans needs a side dish. All I need with a bowl of chili with beans is a piece of cornbread.

Back