DG_1234

Reaction score
Handicap
It is common to see players not producing a proper pivot and, , or, making a lateral sway during the back swing. Chin up at address is a very much neglected address technique fundamental and here is a good reminder video.

ahhh haaa

First thing bil taught me, chin up, look down your nose. Keeps you from having your shoulder pull your eyes off the ball.

thanks

Basic setup requires chin up. Played several rounds of golf with a friend. He had his head hunched down at address. Couldn't get him to change.

I have a cousin (who is active on THP) who stressed this to be. He kept saying "Chin up, look down your nose" and it has helped me.

I have a cousin (who is active on THP) who stressed this to be. He kept saying "Chin up, look down your nose" and it has helped me.

Chin up is imperative to fundamentally sound address posture and promotes/helps several good things to happen throughout the swing.

Chin up is imperative to fundamentally sound address posture and promotes/helps several good things to happen throughout the swing.
It has certainly helped me. Previously I would lose height in the backswing and stand up through impact. With my chin up I hold my level much better

It has certainly helped me. Previously I would lose height in the backswing and stand up through impact. With my chin up I hold my level much better

I think "chin up at address" serves the following functions:

1) naturally promotes a bit taller address posture (less forward upper body bend, less tendency for shoulders to scrunch forward).
2) naturally sets a player's body up to be of fundamentally sound distance from the ball at address.
3) creates space for the backswing to allow the shoulder turn under the chin (without this space the chin gets "in the way" and players have a tendency to sway laterally and, or, as you wrote have too much vertical head/body movement).
4) with chin up at address it is relatively easy for a player to turn/pivot without lateral sway or vertical movement, and this stability produces consistent quality ball contact

Back