• 7-iron

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6-iron or less loft

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

leftshot

Remember to smile
Reaction score
Your ball is in moderate rough with the ball about halfway down into the grass (so half of the ball is above the grass). It is NOT bermuda grass. The hole is 100 feet away. The last 30 feet is on the green and the green has no significant undulations, slopes, or levels between you and the hole. There are no hazards between you and the hole besides the rough.

What club do you pull and why?

9 i . Gets me up ,gets me down, gets me distance through the grass and enough height to sashaye to the hole ,,, yep that the theory ,,,, now the prac hahahha

Last edited:
I'm going 9i and chunking it forwards. Done this too many times with a lofted wedge and gone right under it and only made it halfway to the target.

1/2 swing with a 9 iron bump and run putting stroke gets me about 20 yards of carry landing me on the fringe. If I've read the green correctly I should get enough "run" to end up in 1 putt territory. In theory! 🤪

I would likely do a 7i or so, especially since 1/3rd of the way is on the green - hit it like a chip and run but a bit harder.

AW might get the nod from me.

9i or 8i depending on lofts. If I think its going to come out soft, then I'm not afraid to pull the 8i. If I think it's going to be super fast, then maybe a PW. Given the conditions you are setting here, probably a 9i

That's a 54* in my world most likely.

I probably hit my AW which is 48* and I hit 110 usually and play it back in my stance a bit to make sure I catch the ball first.

I hit my 50 degree wedge. anything longer and I'm not comfortable with the run vs fly. A more lofted club can work, but with my short game, the 50 offers me a larger margin of error.

54 degree wedge. My rule of thumb is to always chip with the lowest loft possible; 8-iron is used most often. But in this case, I would want to fly the ball 60 feet to the green and let it roll the last 30 feet into the hole. That looks like 54 degree.

Most likely my 50 Deg, its a Hogan Equalizer so spin is good, will fly it to the edge of the green and let it roll out

50* wedge for me. That's my go to club around the green.

60* for this shot and all shots around the green. It is the club I feel most comfortable with and trust the most.

I voted 50-54 degree wedge because it's the closest to my actual answer - I'd probably use my AW. It should give me the right combination of loft/flight and roll. But depending on how I felt about the shot when I actually eyeballed it, I may go with the 54° wedge.

50* would be it for me, my most versatile club around the greens.

58* wedge. I need the loft to get it up and land it softer. If for instance, there were 50' of green to work with, I might go 54*, b/c it cuts through the rough better. And if I had maybe 60' of green to work with, I could probably go 50* wedge, which cuts through the rough better than the others.

But based on this situation, it has to be 58*.

~Rock

I would use my 56 degree wedge or my 54. Which ever one felt best.

Probably going with my AW which is 50* and do a little bump and run.

50* gap wedge. Sitting that low, it will let me get more roll out on the ball once it lands z

a not quite full gap wedge (51*) is what I would hit.

I would probably go with either my 50° or 54° wedge

60 PM Grind with open face. I err on the side of loft when coming out of the rough. 10 yards of green isn't a ton, so I'll try use height. Risk is it comes out hot, but I prefer that over leaving it in the cabbage.

Most likely my 52* AW. Maybe my 56* SW. I need enough carry to reach a few feet onto the green, then a roll out to the cup from there. I'd want to land the ball half way from the edge of the green to the cup. I just need to be putting for my next shot.

If the lie would allow it, I might open up the club face, and flop the ball to the cup. I'm a pretty good flopper. The ball would drop, and stop near the cup.

A higher lofted wedge would allow for a more forceful, controlled swing without fear of rolling the ball too far past the cup, maybe even off the green..

Back