Chipper Technology/ Best Chipper

Karl

Reaction score
Handicap
Until about a week ago I thought chippers were illegal. I also noticed they're getting better tech and quality. What's the best out there? I want to try a good quality and tech one and see if I can get really good with it. I was thinking of starting with the smart sole chipper line.

Try the Odyssey.

To me, a chipper is a chipper. Ive tried the Odyssey, Ive tried the Cleveland, as well as the cheapie Dunlop, Wilson and Pinemeadow. They all work the same for me.
Id buy the Wilson or Pinemeadow and take the money that you save vs buying the Odyssey/Cleveland and take some lessons.

To me, a chipper is a chipper. Ive tried the Odyssey, Ive tried the Cleveland, as well as the cheapie Dunlop, Wilson and Pinemeadow. They all work the same for me.
Id buy the Wilson or Pinemeadow and take the money that you save vs buying the Odyssey/Cleveland and take some lessons.
I'm actually good with normal wedges but want to see what a good chipper could offer. I can't give a cheaply built chipper an honest go.

I have the Cleveland Smart Sole chipper and love it, you can't beat it for a bump and run. It is more more upright than an iron, much closer to a putter. I use it for bump and runs because the ball goes exactly where you aim it. Use a putting stroke and let it jump over the rough and on to the green and roll to the hole. It is not a good short sided club for sure though.

I have the Odyssey X-Act Tank Chipper. 37 degree. I use it on certain courses in my regular rotation when it’s flat and I know there will be a ton of bump and run type shots available. It’s a great club. Basically use a putting stroke. Which I like on certain courses. Mostly ones with slow/soft greens. Can throw it halfway (or less) to the hole and let it roll right up. Much easier to hit the intended line because of the putting stroke. The white hot face is the same one that’s on my putter so I can control distance really well.

On fast/elevated greens? I want more spin and loft. So not much use for it in those conditions. It’s hefty so it’s great through the rough as well.

E2DFA382-B983-4A62-978F-071602401CB3.jpeg

I have an old Smart Sole. My son carries it sometimes. I like it a lot.

I'm actually good with normal wedges but want to see what a good chipper could offer. I can't give a cheaply built chipper an honest go.
Why?

Until about a week ago I thought chippers were illegal. I also noticed they're getting better tech and quality. What's the best out there? I want to try a good quality and tech one and see if I can get really good with it. I was thinking of starting with the smart sole chipper line.
2 sided chippers are Illegal. Single Faced ones are Legal!

I went through that chipper idea many years ago. My "buy any club they said I needed" years. Probably used one for a year. Did ok with it using my putting stroke.

I eventually switched back to chipping with my regular irons. This after I started chipping, using my putting stroke with my irons. Found this to work better for me than the chipper club. (Better distance control, and accuracy)

I also needed the room in my bag for another club, that my chipping club was taking up. Iirc I wanted a 4th wedge at the time.

I have the Odyssey X-Act Tank Chipper. 37 degree. I use it on certain courses in my regular rotation when it’s flat and I know there will be a ton of bump and run type shots available. It’s a great club. Basically use a putting stroke. Which I like on certain courses. Mostly ones with slow/soft greens. Can throw it halfway (or less) to the hole and let it roll right up. Much easier to hit the intended line because of the putting stroke. The white hot face is the same one that’s on my putter so I can control distance really well.

On fast/elevated greens? I want more spin and loft. So not much use for it in those conditions. It’s hefty so it’s great through the rough as well.

View attachment 9027189
Now that you mention elevated greens maybe the smart sole s is a more versatile club to try first.

Just use a fairway wood or hybrid. Hybrid is my favorite but I don't carry one in my bag anymore. Kind of miss it for that reason. Need to start pulling out the 5w for some bump and runs!

Now that you mention elevated greens maybe the smart sole s is a more versatile club to try first.
Just use a fairway wood or hybrid. Hybrid is my favorite but I don't carry one in my bag anymore. Kind of miss it for that reason. Need to start pulling out the 5w for some bump and runs!

This is a long post I know. But I hope it helps. 👍

There are many ways to bump and run shots. I’ve used everything from a wedge to a hybrid to a 3 wood if the shot calls for it.

I own a Smart Sole 50(G) 54 (S) and the C Chipper. Great clubs. I prefer more of less lofted chipper than the 42 degree Smart Sole “chipper” or old Niblick. Be aware the Smart Sole has 5 degrees more loft than many chippers and some nice grooves on it too.

What I’m talking about is a chipper. A club designed to make a low bump and run shot as easy as possible. Run being the key word. No need for shaft lean, no need to add a lot of wrist hinge ect. It’s basically a mallet putter with 37 degrees of loft on the face. The Odyssey X-Act and many like it do exactly what they are designed to do. It’s easier for many players to play the bump and RUN shot with a chipper. It will be straighter and you are less likely to chunk it, thin it or have it check up.

However, a chipper is just like any club in your bag. Don’t expect to just pick it up and like magic, it does exactly what you want it to do. Golf doesn’t work that way. It’s going to act a little different than a 7 iron ect. But with a little practice they can be deadly good around the greens. And you don’t have to worry about it checking up. Even a 7 iron can unexpectedly check up on you when playing the bump and run. Especially on an uphill lie.

I guess what I’m saying is if you get a Smart Sole “C” Chipper, don’t expect it to play exactly how something like the X-Act chipper does. They are 2 totally different clubs in my opinion. And I own both. If it’s a GI or SGI club I have tried it for the most part. Yup. I’m that guy. I have no shame or ego in using any club that gets the job done for me. 🙂 🤷‍♂️

This is a long post I know. But I hope it helps. 👍

There are many ways to bump and run shots. I’ve used everything from a wedge to a hybrid to a 3 wood if the shot calls for it.

I own a Smart Sole 50(G) 54 (S) and the C Chipper. Great clubs. I prefer more of less lofted chipper than the 42 degree Smart Sole “chipper” or old Niblick. Be aware the Smart Sole has 5 degrees more loft than many chippers and some nice grooves on it too.

What I’m talking about is a chipper. A club designed to make a low bump and run shot as easy as possible. Run being the key word. No need for shaft lean, no need to add a lot of wrist hinge ect. It’s basically a mallet putter with 37 degrees of loft on the face. The Odyssey X-Act and many like it do exactly what they are designed to do. It’s easier for many players to play the bump and RUN shot with a chipper. It will be straighter and you are less likely to chunk it, thin it or have it check up.

However, a chipper is just like any club in your bag. Don’t expect to just pick it up and like magic, it does exactly what you want it to do. Golf doesn’t work that way. It’s going to act a little different than a 7 iron ect. But with a little practice they can be deadly good around the greens. And you don’t have to worry about it checking up. Even a 7 iron can unexpectedly check up on you when playing the bump and run. Especially on an uphill lie.

I guess what I’m saying is if you get a Smart Sole “C” Chipper, don’t expect it to play exactly how something like the X-Act chipper does. They are 2 totally different clubs in my opinion. And I own both. If it’s a GI or SGI club I have tried it for the most part. Yup. I’m that guy. I have no shame or ego in using any club that gets the job done for me. 🙂 🤷‍♂️
Great feedback thanks. Which version of the smart soles do you have? Can the s version be delofted to play more like the c?

Great feedback thanks. Which version of the smart soles do you have? Can the s version be delofted to play more like the c?
I would say no, the sand wedge is 56 degrees, C is 42. I think. Also the sand wedge is much wider, they are very different clubs.

Have to say I very rarely chip out of the fairway or tight lies. I usually putt. When I do, I use an 8 iron (my 4-7 have the AI face and come off too hot) or my PW if I need to clear a little rough or say a sprinkler head first.

Used the square strike wedge for a while as a beginner before selling it on Ebay. Does what it is supposed to do. Putter stroke back and forth. No chunks no thins. Just wasn't versatile enough and didn't use it enough.

Have not played the Smart Sole chipper but I've played the SW and GW. Manipulating the face on both is difficult with the giant dinner-plate sole, and they are designed to be played square on every shot.

The good news is that both the SW and GW are awesome at chipping... just hit a little behind the ball and your ocean of bounce will glide over any lie. I chip with my GW from the edge of greens and play for about 2 parts rollout for every 1 part flight. The SW is less roll it there and more fly it there. Both are easy to aim with the heavy heads and crazy forgiving.

Last edited:
I decided to go with an all "Smart Sole" wedge set. I've been spending an inordinate amount of time working on my short game (it REALLY needs help) and I finally feel like I'm gaining ground. I'm getting used to a modified putter stroke with my GW and my C. Also finding that I can get a little "wristy" with my Chipper with some good results. I'm very impressed with the Smart Sole lineup, especially for high handicappers like me.

My FIL uses one, an old X Act I believe, and likes his "cheater" club. I never got the appeal, I even asked my instructor years ago about getting one. He told I could if I wanted to but we were done if I asked him to help me with it.

Thanks!
I have the Smart Sole 4 set. Gap, Sand and C. All 3 graphite. I also have an old 2009ish Niblick 42. With the plastic insert in the back. Very good club too which I used for a long time. Unfortunately the zip grooves are not USGA legal anymore. I’ve never tried to have the loft changed on any of them. I’m sure you could a degree or 2. The 50 down to a 48 might be interesting. With the graphite shaft they feel great but the get up high real quick on full shots. Depends what how you want to use them. I also have Cleveland CBX2s. 50,54 and a Full Face 58. Yeah I way to many wedges. But I rotate them in and out depending on the course. That way I’m not trying to adjust my chip and pitch shots tomuch. I just use different clubs.

But as I said, flat, slow, soft greens? X-Act Chipper all day long. I just use my putting stroke. It’s point and shoot with that thing. I game a Odyssey OG 7 White Hot Putter. Same face as the X-Act Chipper. I just use the same feel. It’s a putt with 37 degrees of loft. Sounds crazy but it works. My handicap is a 14 so I’m not a great golfer by any means but I hold my own.

I was able to get a few holes in with a smart sole 3 S wedge. It seems pretty decent on the few shots I played with it.

Back