Chipping.....Do you use your highest loft?

Define "chipping". I almost never use a wedge for any shot I'd consider a "chip shot". My main chipping club is a putter (from the fringe) and if I don't think that will roll consistently I use an 8-iron. Chips are shots that have very little carry, very little elevation and are basically rolling rather than flying.

Your mention of "higher trajectory" makes me think you're talking about what I'd call "pitching". In that case the loft I'd use depends on whether I can clear whatever bunker or rough or mound or trouble I'm pitching over and still have room for the ball to run out a bit. If not, I use my 58-degree . If I've got green to work with, I use a 52-degree.

I use my 54 almost exclusively. Will use my AW or PW if I have a lot of green to run out. Only time I use my 60 is if I am shortsided and or have to go over a bunker.

Depending on the situation, I may use anything from my 6 iron for a long chip and run to my 60* lob if the need arises.

The first wedge I ever got was a 54* so that is what I chipped with. It's stuck with me even through getting other wedges and is my go to. I might use my 49* if I need to keep one low under a tree or my 58* if I need a flop to a tucked pin.

After a couple of pages of this thread, apparently I'm the only one that didn't know. Isn't the first time and won't be the last.

It’s all situation dependent. Anything over 54° is only if I need to go high and down with limited roll out.

I much prefer getting the ball onto the green as soon as possible and letting it roll. Primarily I use my AW/50°, but will use my 54° or 8i depending on what I need to do. Lots of factors, but majority of the time I’m toe-down chipping with the AW

I moved into my 50 a few weeks ago. I'm always expecting rollout. Any swing, no matter what I do, is a spin killer. Better to embrace it and get that ball rolling ASAP.

I tend to either hit a PW as a bump and run or a 60* when I don't have the liberty to hit a runner. I was always more of a 56* wedge around the green guy in the past, so that is likely something I need to get comfortable with again.

I chip with everything from my 7 iron to my gap wedge (49*). My highest lofted wedge (and the only one below my gap) is my 56*, and I only use it from the sand. I had gotten into the habit of only chipping with the gap wedge, but started using irons and PW as well during my last round with much better results (including a 7 iron chip in for birdie on 18).

Never, lofted clubs like LW and SW are for pitching out of the taller grass where you want the blade to get under the ball, for chipping off tight lies I prefer the soft sole of a GW or PW, depending on the length, much more forgiveness without the need to open the face.

I typically only chip with my 50, 54 or 58 and will always default to the lowest loft of the 3 when the conditions allow.

Depending on the lie and green to work with.

The further you need to land the ball away from your person, the more inconsistent you will be. So lower loft is your friend, the majority of the time.

I generally only use my 50* wedge around the greens. If short sided I will use the 58*.

My intent on every single short game shot is to use the lowest lofted club that I can. I think that gives me the most margin for error and simplifies the game considerably.

Stock chip is usually a 54*. Slippery downhill chips or when I need to carry over something and stop it, I'll hit 60*. If I have a good bit of room to run it out, I'll go PW.

I used to hit my 60 surprisingly well. It was an easy decision to use the 60 for just about any shot around the green. Lately I have struggled with it and now lacking confidence. I’m finding the 56 much more forgiving. I may yank the 60 from the bag and make room for something else… or nothing.

i almost always use my 60* as I am very comfortable with it. I will use my 54/50 if i have plenty of green to work with or if the lie is iffy, but the 60 is my go to 98% of the time.

It used to be strictly my 50 degree, but I find myself using the 54 degree now that I have become more comfortable with my CBX2 wedges. I'll still use the 50 degree on longer distances.

I know "old school" says 8i, 9i, etc. and then Stan Utley came along and we all used 58 around the green.

Because I use graphite shafts, irons are typically too light and balanced too light (D2). So I go to the 54 as a workhorse, but it all depends. I've found more success with the 50 in terms of getting it in or close to the hole, 54 is next, and 58 for don't want it to travel far, spin, rough, sand, etc.

Like NV said, it's all depends on what's needed.

I have been using my 54 in place of my 60 after reading how many others in the forum prefer to chip that way. It has definitely been more consistent but I struggle to get the height I want especially when I don’t have a ton of green to work with. I open up the face sometimes but am trying to improve technique as well. Lots of practice needed but going to the 54 has been an improvement so far.

If the shot calls for it, absolutely.

I never use my lob wedge for chipping and only for pitching when the shot calls for it. 54* for most shots and the 50* for a tight or bare lie.

It really depends. Most of the time, I use my 54 unless there is something specific about the shot that needs more or less loft.

When I get back to playing, I want to work more with my PW and 8 iron to create more versatility.

I mostly use my 54* but there are certainly times the 60* makes more sense. I am getting much better at getting out the cart and taking 2 wedges with me. Carrying just 1 is always a mistake. Almost always guaranteed to wish you had the other but then hit it anyway with what is in hand.

Typically I am using the 54 around the greens unless something like lie or slope of green dictates I need the 58

Back