Chipping.....Do you use your highest loft?

Nope really never use my 58*.. I can get a decent soft touch with my 54 opened a little better than my 58

Put the 60 up in the shop a long time ago and went to a 56 and never looked back. For the courses I play it does the job nicely.

My highest lofted wedge is a 60*. I don't use it very much when in grass around the green. I will use it in sand but I found that I get better and more consistent results using my trusty 56* greenside and can control it better.

On the off chance I do pull the 60* out, it has a way of reminding me it's a great club. Used it for the first time yesterday in about 10 rounds. Was in a fairway bunker thatI drove in to on a short par 4. Pulled the 60* and chipped that puppy in for my very first eagle. :ROFLMAO:

I just use whatever fits the shot needed the best. If I need to loft it up over a bunker and stop it, then the 60. Or if I'm in a hard-pan green side bunker, the 60 works way better than the 56. But if it's a soft bunker or deep sand, I'll use the 56. Also if I can bump and run, or pitch it and let it run out I'll use less loft for sure.

60* is used and it's used well. You won't convince me I should be using something else lol

It really depends on the lie, ground conditions around the hole/landing area, what type of shot I'm looking to make, and how I've been hitting the ball that round. I'll use anything from my 5i up to my 60* wedge.

Anything lower lofted than my PW though, and I'll use more of a putting stroke.

I too was using the 60* for most shots around the green. It's a great ~60-75 yard club for me but my ratio of shots that I blade or go straight under the ball to good shots on <30 yards is about 1:1. I am going to start easing into 48*, 52*, and 56* to see what will work best for me. I use an 8 iron for bump and runs but distance control is a bit hard on those for me as well.

Practicing yesterday and took out my 54 around the greens, instead of my 60 degree. It was eye opening to say the least. A more consistent contact and trajectory made the results much more consistent. Chipping is the weakest part of my game so I'm excited to say the least.

I've used my highest lofted wedge for chipping my whole life. Is this something every knew? Am I the last to the party?

Now try your PW or 7-iron and you'll see what real chipping is. You never want to chip with a lob wege or even really a 54 degree because the degree of difficulty is so high. You have a small face to strike the ball with (the line between a skull and a duff is pretty thin) and you have to be so much more precise in terms of judging how much you need to fly the ball and how much spin youre going to get.
Its so much easier and simply just to pull out a PW or short iron and just make a putting stroke because just getting the ball rolling on the green is so much easier to predict.

I don't carry a 60 degree at all, 56 is highest and I generally dont use it to pitch, I pitch with my 8 iron, 9 iron, PW and AW depending on the situation. I love to roll the ball towards the pin alot.

Use my 58 by far the most on chip shots. 54 sometimes and 50 or 9 iron occasionally.

I used to buy after uncharacteristically struggling for a while I started leaving the 58* in the bag and used the 54* instead. Now I only reach for the 58* when it is really truly necessary. I does occur to me how much I unnecessarily used the 58* and how much more versatile the 54* is than I have it credit for

So for the people says 54/56/58 always, is that the club you use when you're 2-3 feet into the fringe and 15-20 feet from the hole? Or just putt that or something?
For me, this is a putt more often than not.

I’m not sure why in my head I feel more confident with my 58* than my 53*.
After reading this, I am going to work on lower trajectory chips

I use to only use my highest wedge but have changed this year with great success. I look at the green and determine how much carry vs how much roll I need. One exception might be using a 8 or 9 iron for extra roll on a green.

Here is my basic thought pattern in picking a club.
75% Carry - 25% Roll = 56 Deg SW
50% Carry - 50% Roll = 52 Deg GW
25% Carry - 75% Roll = 43 Deg PW

This works for me.

Definitely late to the party. :) I chip mostly with PW but GW, 9i, and 8i are often the correct tool for the job.

I will use my 52 or 56 depending on what I am trying to do. Sometimes as much as an 8 for a bump and run.

I use to only use my highest wedge but have changed this year with great success. I look at the green and determine how much carry vs how much roll I need. One exception might be using a 8 or 9 iron for extra roll on a green.

Here is my basic thought pattern in picking a club.
75% Carry - 25% Roll = 56 Deg SW
50% Carry - 50% Roll = 52 Deg GW
25% Carry - 75% Roll = 43 Deg PW

This works for me.

That's great that you can do it in your head like that.

I am sh$t at math, although I must have been good at the basics, as a former CPA.

I sort of look and have a pic in mind, I want it to do this, then that, go in that direction, over that bump, stop in the hole ... and which of these tools will do it.

Mostly a 56, unless i have room to run out, 52! and if i am only a couple of yards from the green; Good chance i will putt with a 3 wood, and i am good at it

I'll use different lofts based on desired outcome, but...my 64° is my cheater club and gets pulled most often around the green.

I will chip with just about any club I think will get the ball close to, or in the hole. Really depends on the situation.

Example, I once used my LW to chip to a hole 5 feet away, and 2 feet off the green. I needed to get over some irrigation boxes that were in my way. Another time I was in the taller cut, with the hole about 30 feet away. I used my choked down 7W.

Since I use the my putting stroke to chip with, I can use a variety of clubs.

That said, anything over 8 feet off the green, I consider a pitch, or a bump and run. .

My own rule of thumb is to never hit a club/shot that I haven't practiced. Hence, I practice alot of shots, with different clubs.

54 for me as a general rule. If I need more run out will generally use a 48 or my PW. Only as of late have I started using my 58 in instances where the greens are really hard and loft will help stop it more quickly. Have even dunked a few this year 😁

No way, the 60 and 56 l have are for special shots or for pitching, for chipping its anything from 7 iron down to PW.

Most of the time its an 8 or 9, a chip and roll to the flag for me, it takes out the difficulty of things and you get a look at the break too and after a hole position.

90% of my chips are done with my 54. I use my 60 if I’m in deep rough or short sided. I will use more of a bump and run with an 8/9 of the lie is very wet or hitting into the grain since I play on Bermuda. Chipping and putting are by far the strongest parts of my game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I chip with my 58* wedge. Use a variety of swings depending on if I have room to the flag or I’m short sided. Sometimes I’ll lean the shaft to de-loft it. Even if I have room I’m airing it 75% of the way there and letting it roll 25%.

I’m not saying this is the most efficient way to do it. I’m not great with a bump and run so for me it’s not any more consistent than using my 58*. Now if I spent weeks practicing the bump and run I may have a new answer for you, but as of now, I chip with my most lofted club.

Back