Chipping.....Do you use your highest loft?

Wildcat

#TeamBlake '23 and '24 Quest Cup
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 2.6
Practicing yesterday and took out my 54 around the greens, instead of my 60 degree. It was eye opening to say the least. A more consistent contact and trajectory made the results much more consistent. Chipping is the weakest part of my game so I'm excited to say the least.

I've used my highest lofted wedge for chipping my whole life. Is this something every knew? Am I the last to the party?

Yep, last one to arrive! :p

I almost never use my highest lofted chipping around the green unless lie or position necessitates it. I don't even think of it as a 'chipping' club really. 54 is my workhorse.

It all depends on the shot I need to play and the lie I have, but I will use all of my wedges (50/54/58) around the green, but also other clubs as well if the situation works for it

Most of the time, I use my 50 degree gap wedge.

54 is the workhorse.
60 only for specific shots.
trying to actually work in more 44* PW for chips with more green to work with, for the same reason you stated.

I am by no means an expert - but I use a variety of clubs depending on the situation, from 7 iron to 58 degree wedge. That said, the 58 is usually for very deep bunkers or to get over trouble with minimal rollout on the landing. Beyond that I grab y 48 degree for most chips.

54 is the workhorse.
60 only for specific shots.
trying to actually work in more 44* PW for chips with more green to work with, for the same reason you stated.

This is the change I'm looking at. 60 degree for short sided shots only.

I have 48, 54, 60. 54 is used the most. Rarely use the 60 anymore. I'll use a 6-8i for a bump a run. I'm starting to dial in pitch/chipping distances so hopefully the next few rounds I can go lower.

Last edited:
I chip most of the time with my 7 and 5 irons ... sometimes will use a hybrid ...

Good Golfing ...

Practicing yesterday and took out my 54 around the greens, instead of my 60 degree. It was eye opening to say the least. A more consistent contact and trajectory made the results much more consistent. Chipping is the weakest part of my game so I'm excited to say the least.

I've used my highest lofted wedge for chipping my whole life. Is this something every knew? Am I the last to the party?

I was once the same way until the last month. My last chip outs have been wtih the 50 off the fringe and longer as long as the slope is level or downhill and lie is normal or tight. If pin is close, then 54 may come to rescue. If uphill, then 54 or 58, depending on pin. If in the rough, well, pull the 54 or 58, depending on the rough.

I almost never use my highest lofted chipping around the green unless lie or position necessitates it. I don't even think of it as a 'chipping' club really. 54 is my workhorse.
This is me. I almost always use my 54 or my AW depending on speed of greens and how much green I have to work with. If I have very little green to work with and I am in the rough, I will use my 58 and open it up so I get a soft landing shot.

This is me. I almost always use my 54 or my AW depending on speed of greens and how much green I have to work with. If I have very little green to work with and I am in the rough, I will use my 58 and open it up so I get a soft landing shot.

I use any iron in my bag, depending on how far I want it to run vs roll. I use my putting stroke for a putt of that length, just change the club. Explained very well here, and fun to watch in any case.

Last edited:
On these chips around the green, my only thought is "turn and turn."

We have small, very firm greens. They are surrounded by Bermuda grass and the ball tends to sink right down into it. If we play them down in our Rack (which is rare), I'll have to play a shot almost like a bunker explosion with my most lofted wedge (58-degree). Mostly though, we improve our lies through the green. The problem there is that it's difficult to play a good shot when you perch the ball up in Bermuda. Most of the time, I wind up catching the ball at the top of my 58-degree and the ball doesn't come out well. If I play a lower-lofted club, the ball will hit the green and run like crazy.

It's a real challenge to make pars on our greens when we miss them, especially if we short-side ourselves. I hate Bermuda...

Ill chip with nearly every iron in the bag. All depends on lie and distance

Most shots I am grabbing my 56* (before it was my 54*). If I am short sided or playing a decent up hill shot I will grab my 60*.

The best advice is to get it on the ground as soon as you can. I don't practice enough with an iron to play the bump and run consistently and admire the guys that can chip with an 7/8I.

60 for me is a rarely used loft, only when I’m in trouble or have a seriously tight lie. 56 is my typical chipping tool

We have small, very firm greens. They are surrounded by Bermuda grass and the ball tends to sink right down into it. If we play them down in our Rack (which is rare), I'll have to play a shot almost like a bunker explosion with my most lofted wedge (58-degree). Mostly though, we improve our lies through the green. The problem there is that it's difficult to play a good shot when you perch the ball up in Bermuda. Most of the time, I wind up catching the ball at the top of my 58-degree and the ball doesn't come out well. If I play a lower-lofted club, the ball will hit the green and run like crazy.

It's a real challenge to make pars on our greens when we miss them, especially if we short-side ourselves. I hate Bermuda...

When you perch the ball up, even up the weight on both feet for a more shallow swing (Phil M advice) and make certain you hold the club at address as you would off a good lie.

60 is one of my favorite clubs with an equal likelihood for both good and bad outcomes. It is so easy to get under the ball a bit and fluff a shot high on the face. But when struck well, the outcomes are often fun and positive.

Day to day, I use my 54 and, lately, 50 for most chipping. They are the reliable bread and butter of my green side game.

I am by no means an expert - but I use a variety of clubs depending on the situation, from 7 iron to 58 degree wedge. That said, the 58 is usually for very deep bunkers or to get over trouble with minimal rollout on the landing. Beyond that I grab y 48 degree for most chips.

/\/\/\ This /\/\/\

All depends on the shot.

I like the 7i with a putting stroke for a shot I want to just hop over a bit of fringe and then roll like a putt.

From there I escalate loft based on how far I want to carry it and roll it out. The more loft, the less roll out, basically.

Only exception is a hop-and-stop, for which I tend to grab the 58.

I will chip/pitch with anything 50 degrees to 60.

Just depends.

I'll echo most. I rarely use the 58 deg unless I need to. So much so that it lives in the same slot as a hybrid to remind myself it has a specific job. The 50 and 54 get the brunt of the work, mostly the 54.

Exactly this

My club selection will vary depending on the lie and the shot that I need to execute. I will chip with any club from a 21 degree hybrid to a 58 degree wedge, but recently my favorite has been my GW.

Back