Chipping inconsistencies, yips you name it

Curious what people think about how many clubs one should chip with? Does it make sense to be flexible (use varying lifts based on lie, ground surface, etc.) or stick with one club and be consistent?
Mix it up for sure. Check out some posts under another thread where I explain some options. Started by MWard

Ohh man am I glad you asked. I had the same issues. 30 yards and in, I was a mess. So during quarantine I set up a bucket about 40 yards away, got my 60, and tried to hit the ball into the bucket. I averaged about 1 every 25, but the point was to make crisp and consistent contact. It has helped me a ton on the course with timing and trust.

View attachment 8943814

water that lawn!

;)

After another day of yips, went back to youtube and came up with a good one.

Try the one at 8 minutes where the left side straightens. So, far so good in practice.

IMO the hardest part is maintaining the bottom of the swing arc. During slow swings it's super easy to slightly tighten-up on the down swing which slightly pulls the club up. I try to RELAX my arms and hands and think of hitting the "back" of the club sole on the ground.

Curious what people think about how many clubs one should chip with? Does it make sense to be flexible (use varying lifts based on lie, ground surface, etc.) or stick with one club and be consistent?
Good question. Ben Hogan's PW was called the Equalizer ("E") because he felt it best to become super-proficient with one club.

The more I work on my chipping the more I realize confidence and being committed are crucial to my success. If I’m not committed I will hit is short and fat.

water that lawn!

;)
Ha funny you say that. I have made a lot of effort since that picture, including using the Sunday lawn care system, and now my lawn is lush and green. I just need to get rid of some weeds now, and the fence will be painted this week finally. 😂

One thing that has really helped me lately (holes one out today for par) is picking an intermediate spot to hit. It allows me to be more comfortable with the distance control and swing more freely. I think chopping is 50% technique, 50% confidence.

I think there's a Phil Mickelson video out there I saw and have stuck with. You basically hinge the handle forward and hold that angle as you rotate the body through the ball. Works from hardpan to thick rough.

I have become less "yip" prone by following a routine. I choose a style and stance. Then practice that stoke next to the ball. I then notice where the club is bottoming out. When I am ready to stoke the ball I MAKE sure my stance is in agreement as to where my practice swings have bushed the grass.

By limiting the variable of swing arcs I then can concentration on tempo and direction. The ball is simply in the way of my club swing. It is not my main obsessed focus.

I think there's a Phil Mickelson video out there I saw and have stuck with. You basically hinge the handle forward and hold that angle as you rotate the body through the ball. Works from hardpan to thick rough.
If you can do it this way, great but the degree of difficulty and the odds of repeating the motion pattern are low, particularly if you don’t practice like Phil.

If you can do it this way, great but the degree of difficulty and the odds of repeating the motion pattern are low, particularly if you don’t practice like Phil.
Anyone can learn the basic chip of this technique. Phil has a tonne of different chips and alterations in his bag.

Fast forward to 34:20:

Anyone can learn the basic chip of this technique. Phil has a tonne of different chips and alterations in his bag.
I’m not saying you can’t learn it. It just takes more skill and practice vs. putting the ball in the middle.

I wouldn’t start there though...I’ve seen so many times, people try stuff they see pros do or say and they end up with issues. Keep in mind Phil has been doing this since he was in diapers, so his hands are incredible. Anyone who isn’t a good chipper or pitcher should start simpler, then add complexity. 90+% of people who try that methodology will expose the leading edge incorrectly and suck at getting up and down. We see it all the time.

Who can argue with Phil. But, it seems most people think a lack of wrist hinge is better, less complicated.

I will use whatever club will get me onto the putting surface and rolling asap. If you are always grabbing a wedge its far too easy to fall back into bad habits. A lot of times I'm holding an 8 iron.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
My wife didn't like using a green side non full swing wedge..so...depending on lie, if she is in the short grass, up to 40-50 yards out, she putts. Now, she can pitch and chip. The putter gave her confidence with the motion.

Now I'm trying it. I'm finding the old adage is true. A bad putt is less damaging than a bad chip. But when I chip, its my pitching wedge, it works for me. A bit of trial and error. But, if there is nothing in the way or to go over, bump and run is always less damaging for me.

Another thing that I think has helped me a lot is stitching to wedges with Recoil 780 F4 shafts which are 86g. It took a bit to get used to it, but once I got the timing down the heavier head to shaft ratio helped because now I get more of a pendulum effect, forcing the club through the strike zone. My chief issue was decelerating through the bottom of the swing, causing inconsistent strikes and a ton of duffs.
Panic stroke!

I've actually moved almost entirely to the Kisner method from that video of him with the Barstool guys.

Panic stroke!

I've actually moved almost entirely to the Kisner method from that video of him with the Barstool guys.

Humble brag alert....I chipped in again yesterday from about 40. Third time in three months. I had one my entire golf career before that, and it was compete dumb luck. Got these bad boys doing work!

Panic stroke!

This is how we teach it as well...for the most part. 💪 That Mickelson stuff will humble people fast. It’s not easy and not foolproof. 😉. I was filming a video for our program, mishit the pitch...And knocked it in because I gave myself room for error with bounce.

A good analogy, for not doing what Phil does, would be my full swing vs. say a Finau or Rahm. I’m 5’8” on a good day. 😂 If I had as little depth as them I couldn’t generate the speed those big ole guys generate through rotation. I need more time to create the speed so have to have more rotation on backswing.

Who can argue with Phil. But, it seems most people think a lack of wrist hinge is better, less complicated.
I think hold the wrist hinge provides a way more consistent contact point with the ground. Also keeps the chip starting and staying on line.

I think hold the wrist hinge provides a way more consistent contact point with the ground. Also keeps the chip starting and staying on line.
For you it may. But it exposes the leading edge, and that creates inconsistencies for most. Especially those who misinterpret the words and try to repeat it without feedback from Phil or another expert who knows what they’re talking about.

For you it may. But it exposes the leading edge, and that creates inconsistencies for most. Especially those who misinterpret the words and try to repeat it without feedback from Phil or another expert who knows what they’re talking about.
Yeah I guess it would depend on the sole and grind you are playing. I have been using cbx wedges lately.

TrueMotionMatt, When someone mentions the chipping yips, people automatically go to the technical fix. I am experiencing the yips even in practice and on an open field. The best way I can explain it is when a beginner tends to decelerate and chunks it. I guess the brain thinks there's too much backswing and there's a hard decel. The result is a a sliced chip that dribbles off to the right. It's terrible! Any suggestions? Is it time for a Cleveland C wedge? Thx, CG

My misses are due to distance control with I knew exactly how far chips would go

TrueMotionMatt, When someone mentions the chipping yips, people automatically go to the technical fix. I am experiencing the yips even in practice and on an open field. The best way I can explain it is when a beginner tends to decelerate and chunks it. I guess the brain thinks there's too much backswing and there's a hard decel. The result is a a sliced chip that dribbles off to the right. It's terrible! Any suggestions? Is it time for a Cleveland C wedge? Thx, CG

First of all, new wedges are always the answer. 😂😂😂 I’m kidding, you don’t need a new club if that’s what’s happening.

Here’s why we hammer SetUp & technique...both are so crucial to chipping well. 😉 If you don’t have a good SetUp then your technique has to be repeatable, and you also need to have compensations to fix said poor SetUp. So get those nailed down. There’s no thought in the SetUp because you aren’t moving and the technique is simple to adopt.

As far as the decel that’s an easy fix with a couple thoughts to incorporate; one is hard to explain the other is simple.
  1. The first simple thing to focus on is making sure your hands aren’t releasing or flipping through the shot. Make sure you keep turning and your lead side shoulder moves around and behind you: opening up through the shot.
  2. The second one has to do with varying grip pressure throughout the chipping motion. Starting with level 2 at SetUp to 4 in the backswing, increasing to a 7 or 8 at the finish. Adding that grip pressure change ensures that you accelerate through the shot and don’t decel. This one is how we get 20 handicappers to chip like scratch golfers real fast. 💪 But it requires some video examples and proper training/coaching.

First of all, new wedges are always the answer. 😂😂😂 I’m kidding, you don’t need a new club if that’s what’s happening.

Here’s why we hammer SetUp & technique...both are so crucial to chipping well. 😉 If you don’t have a good SetUp then your technique has to be repeatable, and you also need to have compensations to fix said poor SetUp. So get those nailed down. There’s no thought in the SetUp because you aren’t moving and the technique is simple to adopt.

As far as the decel that’s an easy fix with a couple thoughts to incorporate; one is hard to explain the other is simple.
  1. The first simple thing to focus on is making sure your hands aren’t releasing or flipping through the shot. Make sure you keep turning and your lead side shoulder moves around and behind you: opening up through the shot.
  2. The second one has to do with varying grip pressure throughout the chipping motion. Starting with level 2 at SetUp to 4 in the backswing, increasing to a 7 or 8 at the finish. Adding that grip pressure change ensures that you accelerate through the shot and don’t decel. This one is how we get 20 handicappers to chip like scratch golfers real fast. 💪 But it requires some video examples and proper training/coaching.

I sure wish I was taught #1 from above back when I first started playing! I'm working on it this year and it's helped a lot.

I've never heard of the second phase incorporating grip pressure. Would love to see a video on that!

Back