Chipping inconsistencies, yips you name it

After another day of yips, went back to youtube and came up with a good one.

Try the one at 8 minutes where the left side straightens. So, far so good in practice.

Not going to lie, practiced the past two days with these and seemed to help immensely, even out of some thicker grass.

My wife didn't like using a green side non full swing wedge..so...depending on lie, if she is in the short grass, up to 40-50 yards out, she putts. Now, she can pitch and chip. The putter gave her confidence with the motion.

Now I'm trying it. I'm finding the old adage is true. A bad putt is less damaging than a bad chip. But when I chip, its my pitching wedge, it works for me. A bit of trial and error. But, if there is nothing in the way or to go over, bump and run is always less damaging for me.
The other thing that helped me was going to the range. Spent a number of sessions chipping and pitching to targets. from grass, short , thick, gnarly...and figuring out what I had to do to get that ball to the target. For me, knowing where the club bottoms out is key. Open face? closed face? Grip open? grip closed? I learned a lot about my golf swing doing that.

I read somewhere, maybe Peltz, that if you can throw a ball underhanded to another person or target you can pitch and chip. That thought made sense to me. That's how I see <30 yards and in. The feel of tossing that ball under handed to the cup.

Thats one of the things about the game of golf...we are all different body sizes and shapes and degrees of flexibility. What is good for one....

If you can do these 3 things, it's almost impossible to hit a bad chip:

1) always rotate and never stop
2) arrive at impact with your hands ahead of the clubhead, even if just slightly ahead
3) have a slightly descending blow, catching the ball first, and let the bounce brush the grass

There are lots of variations in setup and clubface position depending on the trajectory you want or the type of lie you have, but those 3 things are gold.

If you can do these 3 things, it's almost impossible to hit a bad chip:

1) always rotate and never stop
2) arrive at impact with your hands ahead of the clubhead, even if just slightly ahead
3) have a slightly descending blow, catching the ball first, and let the bounce brush the grass

There are lots of variations in setup and clubface position depending on the trajectory you want or the type of lie you have, but those 3 things are gold.

Thanks, pattyboy21. Great suggestions. When yipping, it's a hard decel and definitely not rotating through.

I can have 5 beautiful chips in a row and the decel rears it's ugly head. It's mental. I understand and can execute the basic concepts on the good shots.

I guess if it can happen to Tiger, it can happen to anyone.

Last edited:
Now that I think of it the biggest thing is practice swings before hand and finding the contact point with the ground.

Now that I think of it the biggest thing is practice swings before hand and finding the contact point with the ground.

True, I forgot where I saw the tip. It was set up to the ball and pull back slightly to allow a few practice swings and then set back up to the ball and go! Less time to think about it and you can get a feel for the swing and contact point as you suggested.

Numbers... Go out and hit chips. Front yard balls into buckets. Have to get routine and comfort back. The only way to do that is practice practice practice.

One thing I think about...Make sure you are turning your body and not trying to arm flip it. Smooth and consistent swing focusing on picking up the ball.
It’s hard to manufacture confidence, but if you’re standing over a chip terrified of the results, that won’t help either. I know a couple people going through that right now, and it just looks to me like their swings are so timid because they are afraid of the negative results. Get yourself to believe you can hole it.
I think these two go hand-in-hand...the numbers will build the comfort and confidence, which leads to the second quote...You can't really fake confidence internally...but if you practice to the point of thinking "I've got this" the confidence is going to be there in a round when the situation arises.

I think these two go hand-in-hand...the numbers will build the comfort and confidence, which leads to the second quote...You can't really fake confidence internally...but if you practice to the point of thinking "I've got this" the confidence is going to be there in a round when the situation arises.

True and it will take time. I never spent time on chipping. Just the full swing. Time to go practice.

True, I forgot where I saw the tip. It was set up to the ball and pull back slightly to allow a few practice swings and then set back up to the ball and go! Less time to think about it and you can get a feel for the swing and contact point as you suggested.
I also get a feel for how deep the grass is and how it's reacting. The worst is that sticky grass that really grips the club.

In another thread, Carolina Golfer asked if we could post a chipping video...see below. We posted bunker, slice fix, and a chipping/pitching checkpoint video for THPers. See deets below.

Here's the link to sign up: THP Only-True Motion Golf Video Sign UP

Sure, we can do that for you, no problem. We are here to help THPers with their golf games, build awareness for our brand, and grow our business. Ultimately, the content we share will help you all believe in the value our program brings. And when you eventually sign up, you'll be amazed at all the helpful content we've been keeping from you all this time. 😂

I want to stress a couple caveats with what we share:
  1. The whole explanation isn't there: For chipping videos we share, there is one key aspect that you may not understand, which is the Pressure portion; 2 to 4 to 7. This is currently only available to our Basic Academy Members (and will be in our Academy), and really helps players control the clubface better and not decel. You'll still get a good idea of how to SetUp and approach the shot, but Pressure takes Player learning to a whole new level.
  2. Our Program isn't exactly the videos we share, although they are part of the program...When we teach students in person & online, we do the following:
    1. Diagnose: We want to see what students are doing. You'll probably see that we ask a lot of questions and require video. Advice is tailored to each Player. We don't have blanket responses. Then Players we teach go through the following process:
    2. Learn It: This is the act of watching the video and trying the skill or Micro Motion for our Players
    3. Get Feedback: We want to make sure they are doing it correctly, so at various points in our program, we will have an ability for Players to submit video to us so they know they're practicing the right things, not just watching video and trying to repeat something incorrectly. THIS IS KEY
    4. Train It: This is where we have players 'do the reps' to make sure they have the 'muscle memory' built up.
    5. Game It: being able to do a motion pattern and take it to the golf course are two very different things. We work with Players on 'How to Game It' so they can play golf, and not golf swing on the course.
I don't mean to be vague or cryptic, we just can't give all the secret sauce away. 😉Our Basic Academy Players are getting a taste of what our Academy is like, but it will be much more in depth and have many more places for Feedback. Most of the Players in Basic are helping us design the Academy. If you like the little content you see, sign up for the Basic Academy and we can help you further (we are treating the Basic Academy like what we expect to treat our Academy members like until launch...unlimited reviews, lessons, etc.).

In another thread, Carolina Golfer asked if we could post a chipping video...see below. We posted bunker, slice fix, and a chipping/pitching checkpoint video for THPers. See deets below.

Here's the link to sign up: THP Only-True Motion Golf Video Sign UP

Sure, we can do that for you, no problem. We are here to help THPers with their golf games, build awareness for our brand, and grow our business. Ultimately, the content we share will help you all believe in the value our program brings. And when you eventually sign up, you'll be amazed at all the helpful content we've been keeping from you all this time. 😂

I want to stress a couple caveats with what we share:
  1. The whole explanation isn't there: For chipping videos we share, there is one key aspect that you may not understand, which is the Pressure portion; 2 to 4 to 7. This is currently only available to our Basic Academy Members (and will be in our Academy), and really helps players control the clubface better and not decel. You'll still get a good idea of how to SetUp and approach the shot, but Pressure takes Player learning to a whole new level.
  2. Our Program isn't exactly the videos we share, although they are part of the program...When we teach students in person & online, we do the following:
    1. Diagnose: We want to see what students are doing. You'll probably see that we ask a lot of questions and require video. Advice is tailored to each Player. We don't have blanket responses. Then Players we teach go through the following process:
    2. Learn It: This is the act of watching the video and trying the skill or Micro Motion for our Players
    3. Get Feedback: We want to make sure they are doing it correctly, so at various points in our program, we will have an ability for Players to submit video to us so they know they're practicing the right things, not just watching video and trying to repeat something incorrectly. THIS IS KEY
    4. Train It: This is where we have players 'do the reps' to make sure they have the 'muscle memory' built up.
    5. Game It: being able to do a motion pattern and take it to the golf course are two very different things. We work with Players on 'How to Game It' so they can play golf, and not golf swing on the course.
I don't mean to be vague or cryptic, we just can't give all the secret sauce away. 😉Our Basic Academy Players are getting a taste of what our Academy is like, but it will be much more in depth and have many more places for Feedback. Most of the Players in Basic are helping us design the Academy. If you like the little content you see, sign up for the Basic Academy and we can help you further (we are treating the Basic Academy like what we expect to treat our Academy members like until launch...unlimited reviews, lessons, etc.).

Thanks, Matt!!

Ok folks, I am happy to report that I put on a Lamkin Crossline Plus (dark grey) grip to my 9 iron and my yips went away. Now, this is only in practice. But, it's a start. Not sure if it was the thicker grip giving me confidence (less handsy) or a placebo affect. Will report back once it is course tested.

They're back!! I am shanking and slicing all the shorter chips - even slicing a chipper, lol. The longer pitches are ok. I am playing golf tomorrow....help!!

I figured out why this is happening. I pull down with my lead hand to swing all shots. It's worked nicely for years. Now, sometimes, I forget to pull down or just down do it and I am swinging with a very weak right hand. The problem is, it's in my head now and it turned into the yips.

They're back!! I am shanking and slicing all the shorter chips - even slicing a chipper, lol. The longer pitches are ok. I am playing golf tomorrow....help!!

I figured out why this is happening. I pull down with my lead hand to swing all shots. It's worked nicely for years. Now, sometimes, I forget to pull down or just down do it and I am swinging with a very weak right hand. The problem is, it's in my head now and it turned into the yips.

snag a video and post it to the forum and tag the true motion guys

snag a video and post it to the forum and tag the true motion guys

I won't be able to tape a swing anytime soon. I figured out, I need to swing the club or as I like to say, let the club head swing and it is improved greatly. Makes sense, I was tightening/flinching at impact. But, you can't do that if the club head is freely swing.

Is your spine moving back/forth, or are you pivoting around it?

Try tightening up your abs during the swing. Helps keep your body stable.

Is your spine moving back/forth, or are you pivoting around it?

Try tightening up your abs during the swing. Helps keep your body stable.

I'd say neither a sway or a pivot. I'm setting up for a chip, back and through. Then flinch. My swing has improved by swinging the club. But, the flinch is still there. It's like it is wired that way and I can't stop it. I've never heard of tightening up your abs. It seems like tightening would be the last thing to do. But, worth a try.

I'd say neither a sway or a pivot. I'm setting up for a chip, back and through. Then flinch. My swing has improved by swinging the club. But, the flinch is still there. It's like it is wired that way and I can't stop it. I've never heard of tightening up your abs. It seems like tightening would be the last thing to do. But, worth a try.

Cool; maybe it’ll help, maybe not. Personally I have found that using my core muscles helps me with every swing. Just keeps me stable. YMMV.

Now practice swings for me are yip-proof. I can stand there brushing the grass nicely for as long as you like. Put a ball in front of me and it's 50/50 where my stroke looks like a practice swing vs. a weak foozle.

Just an update, I addressed the ball about a few inches further away from the ball and my chipping yips are gone. I think it was more of a shank that got out of control. Oddly enough, during a recent lesson, I was told to stand further away from the ball on my full swing. It never occurred to me to do the same for chipping and sand shots. Sometimes, a small suggestion or idea can make a big difference.

Back