Chipping inconsistencies, yips you name it

I seem to go back and forth with chipping. Good days I tend to be more relaxed and confident. Not over thinking it. Picking my landing spot and going with it.

Well, I had the same issue last year and tried to buy my way out of hit with a 45 degree square strike...and maybe it was just the power of paying $59 free shipping on a promotional deal, but whatever- it worked! Yeah, the club is ugly and bright green, but I can chip,and pitch and even hit some punch knock downs from under trees 100 yards out with it...

and dont get me statered on my C3i...I LOVE THAT 65 DEGREE CLUB TOO! Makes me feel like a hacker, but I get this clubs up and down way more than with the old wedges

Well, that is one take - more bounce. Congrats.

I've always wanted clubs with more versatility, so I keep working on a technique that fits me and allows me to be aggressive.

Each of us choose our own path. Enjoy.

I'm thinking of doing the bucket in the yard and trying to chip from 10 yards... thanks for the idea!

If a previous, proven chipping method goes south, and fails to return in a short length of time, I might suggest trying a new method.

Go to You Tube, and look up Paul Runyon's "Chip Putt" method. I don't use it myself, but I know other golfers who do. They are pretty good at chipping. Runyon's method is basically using one's putting set up, and stroke to chip with. Easy to learn. It's also possible, that after trying his method, the golfer's previous lost chipping stroke might return.

Another possible remedy is to just cry "uncle" and give the problem a rest. Let the problem win for a while. A while back I set up to hit some chip shots. My first three attempts were shanks/fatties. Told myself "forget this", and didn't touch a club, or try another shot the rest of the day. Next day, everything was fine.

If a previous, proven chipping method goes south, and fails to return in a short length of time, I might suggest trying a new method.

Go to You Tube, and look up Paul Runyon's "Chip Putt" method. I don't use it myself, but I know other golfers who do. They are pretty good at chipping. Runyon's method is basically using one's putting set up, and stroke to chip with. Easy to learn. It's also possible, that after trying his method, the golfer's previous lost chipping stroke might return.

Another possible remedy is to just cry "uncle" and give the problem a rest. Let the problem win for a while. A while back I set up to hit some chip shots. My first three attempts were shanks/fatties. Told myself "forget this", and didn't touch a club, or try another shot the rest of the day. Next day, everything was fine.
Sometimes a break is needed. It's helped my slice go away... but it comes back eventually.:ROFLMAO:

Repetition! Off the course it’s trying to hit my spot in the backyard. On the course it’s practice swings. I’m treating it like putting, just working on my distance control, where I want to land it, and how I want to swing. It’s had a huge positive impact for me the last couple rounds.

I am right there with you... and it is damn frustrating. I am losing about 10 or more strokes per round due to poor chipping and wedge play. I can have a decent practice session and then totally lose it on the course the next time out.
Just happened for me this last weekend. Been chipping great in practice. Get out on the course and something doesn't click. Hit 4 shanks, and some other poor, poor chips. It's driving me crazy.

For me I keep the chipping motion as close to a putting stroke as much as possible. Eliminate as many moving parts as i can. Once you perfect it, you will be very surprised how often you will either hole out or leave a 2' putt. Its so simple its stupid.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

I'm thinking of doing the bucket in the yard and trying to chip from 10 yards... thanks for the idea!
If you have the room chipping in the yard is perfect practice. Also, what I do is make sure I am grouping the balls in the same area. Then I move my distances and work on the next area, and then move again. That way I am not learning a fixed distance so much that I cannot figure out the next distance. This helps me ingrain different swings such as 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and so on.

Then I will do this with a different club and practice that process again. My chipping has greatly improved because of that and probably the biggest thing I do now is duff or even skull a couple or simply not hit through and come up short. That comes from playing on high small greens and not wanting to chip over them. I simply have to build more confidence there because I know I can hit those nicely, my brain just has other ideas going on. :ROFLMAO:

Maybe we need a chipping thread...

If you have the room chipping in the yard is perfect practice. Also, what I do is make sure I am grouping the balls in the same area. Then I move my distances and work on the next area, and then move again. That way I am not learning a fixed distance so much that I cannot figure out the next distance. This helps me ingrain different swings such as 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and so on.

Then I will do this with a different club and practice that process again. My chipping has greatly improved because of that and probably the biggest thing I do now is duff or even skull a couple or simply not hit through and come up short. That comes from playing on high small greens and not wanting to chip over them. I simply have to build more confidence there because I know I can hit those nicely, my brain just has other ideas going on. :ROFLMAO:
It's just a matter of logistics for me. I park my truck in the yard right where there's less grass and more hardpan... I just don't want to hit it. Or my house.:D

Just happened for me this last weekend. Been chipping great in practice. Get out on the course and something doesn't click. Hit 4 shanks, and some other poor, poor chips. It's driving me crazy.
It's the worst. Giving up strokes on what should be a simple shot - and what used to be a simple shot to me - is very frustrating. Well, at least we have more time to get this stuff worked out before the MC. :)

I found Kevin Kisner's chipping video helpful (as well as funny!). He breaks it down to a very simple motion:

It's the worst. Giving up strokes on what should be a simple shot - and what used to be a simple shot to me - is very frustrating. Well, at least we have more time to get this stuff worked out before the MC. :)
I played with a guy this past weekend that had the same issue. He is a superb chipper and he struggled a number of times - chunked several chips that cost strokes. I could tell he was really frustrated.

Well, I had the same issue last year and tried to buy my way out of hit with a 45 degree square strike...and maybe it was just the power of paying $59 free shipping on a promotional deal, but whatever- it worked! Yeah, the club is ugly and bright green, but I can chip,and pitch and even hit some punch knock downs from under trees 100 yards out with it...

and dont get me statered on my C3i...I LOVE THAT 65 DEGREE CLUB TOO! Makes me feel like a hacker, but I get this clubs up and down way more than with the old wedges

Sand wedges are my next project. I bought a Tour Edge 1out and it has been difficult to get used to. Do you have a certain technique you use with the C3i? 65 degrees, that's a lot of loft, lol

Sand wedges are my next project. I bought a Tour Edge 1out and it has been difficult to get used to. Do you have a certain technique you use with the C3i? 65 degrees, that's a lot of loft, lol
It is a TON of loft, so fluffy, “up” lies or uphill lies are a no go - ball goes straight up...but from 40 yards in, I can make it soar very high and land very soft - I play a Wilson Smartcore - not exactly a spin demon...I can control the ball off any lie save the two above very well with the C3i...and it’s great out of the sand too - just point and shoot - no inside out stuff...and off really bad greenside lies like hardpan, crabgrass, etc, the C3i can’t be beat...I also am a muni player, so no 12 on the stimp greens for me...so take this into account too...if you play super fast and hard greens, you may have to adjust...but I take the C3i pretty much right at every flag...it comes in so steep it stops nice and soft

I found Kevin Kisner's chipping video helpful (as well as funny!). He breaks it down to a very simple motion:

this helped me more than any other video out there...tight lies still give me fits, tho.

this helped me more than any other video out there...tight lies still give me fits, tho.
Tight lies kill me too, and we have a lot of them at my home course - bare dirt spots or very thin, tight grass. I'm still looking for the solution to that. My wedges are Callaway 'S' grind, I've been considering trying the PM grind or whatever would allow me to get that leading edge under the ball on the tight/hardpan stuff.

Tight lies kill me too, and we have a lot of them at my home course - bare dirt spots or very thin, tight grass. I'm still looking for the solution to that. My wedges are Callaway 'S' grind, I've been considering trying the PM grind or whatever would allow me to get that leading edge under the ball on the tight/hardpan stuff.

that's something I am trying to figure out...at this stage of my playing, is the CBX/CBX2 going to be the way to go? or do I just continue to plug away with my TM 60/10 and BG 56/09? 98.989% of my chipping is done with my 9i and PW...

I've stopped using wedges, 9 or 8 irons for my chips (if the ball isn't set deep in the turf ). I use my 7 iron and just punch it forward , no pendulum swinging motion or rotate the chest /hips or keeping that Y shape intact. My old body can't pivot for 'spit' so a nice punch shot accelerating through , keeping some bend in my right wrist, seems to work okay.

Also , if I'm accelerating through the ball , I'll still have some clubhead energy to make contact even if I hit the turf (fat) first. If you are doing a 'swinging' chip and hit it fat , the club won't have much energy left and the ball will just dribble forward a few feet. I try also to punch through to the target rather than glare at the ball too much (which makes me tense up for some reason).

My biggest issue is being short. I can’t imagine how often I have said hit that wxactly the way I thought only to come up too short to make the putt easy. I give probably 3-6 shots a round during my chilling.

I found a couple years ago if I got out and practiced more I hit my chips much closer, but after not practicing it seems I am back to square one. This summer I plan on getting out and practicing my short game much more.

The key to chipping is low trajectory. Like Harvey Penick said to practice hitting under a bench not over.

For me I keep the chipping motion as close to a putting stroke as much as possible. Eliminate as many moving parts as i can. Once you perfect it, you will be very surprised how often you will either hole out or leave a 2' putt. Its so simple its stupid.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Yes, I have been successful at the putting stroke. I forget to use it, especially on the shorties near the green.

My biggest issue is being short. I can’t imagine how often I have said hit that wxactly the way I thought only to come up too short to make the putt easy. I give probably 3-6 shots a round during my chilling.

I found a couple years ago if I got out and practiced more I hit my chips much closer, but after not practicing it seems I am back to square one. This summer I plan on getting out and practicing my short game much more.
Short game goes away so fast if I don't practice it! It's easy to tell when I've been spending time on it and when I haven't, I leave a lot more strokes out there when I let the rust set in.

Back